Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: usps chart

Boolit Master

usps chart

when shipping something that won't fit in a flat rate box; the postal worker measures, weights and asks the destination of the package. then gives you the cost. is there a chart to calculate this??

Boolit Master
    Not a chart, but the USPS website will calculate it for you. Drop down the menu to calculate a price and fill in the info.

Vendor Sponsor

You can do all of this online at usps.com
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

Boolit Buddy
    Better idea is to open an account at 'Pirate Ship' and print your own shipping labels; can even save a little over USPS walk in rates. There are other online shipping options I'm sure but a member over at RFC pointed me to PS and it works for me...

Boolit Bub
    So if you print a label at "pirate ship" the post office HAS to accept it for shipping?????

Boolit Buddy
    I had no trouble using Pirate Ship. Printed the label, put it on the box and dropped it off at the post office. Simple and fast. Was a few dollars cheaper than the over the counter price at the post office.

I would use the words "supposed to". If you have a problem Pirate Shipping has customer service contact information.

I used to buy and print labels at the USPS website and everything was fine.
    The last time I tried, the label would not print, but it gave me a manifest and a bar code, so I went to the post office, and I had to pay again to ship my package and I lost the money I first paid.
    Just this past week my wife tried to ship the Christmas cards she forgot to take with us that had gift cards inside by printing a label at the USPS website and her label would not print.
    Two different computers and different printers.
    We ended up having to go to the post office and lost the original money as we had to pay twice.
    From now on we are going to the post office the first time.
    Both times the post office employees could refund our money for the labels that would not print.
    I don't know about this "Pirate Shipping", but I'm not going to jack around anymore, I'm just going straight to the post office.
    I wouldn't ship anything, but the wife occasionally insists on sending things.

Almost forgot, this all happened after the USPS upgraded and "improved" their website.

Boolit Grand Master

I always save the labels as a PDF and then print the PDF.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I always save the labels as a PDF and then print the PDF.

Yep, something could always go wrong during the printing process and if you have the PDF it is easy to reprint.

Boolit Master
    thanks guys

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I used to buy and print labels at the USPS website and everything was fine.
    The last time I tried, the label would not print, but it gave me a manifest and a bar code, so I went to the post office, and I had to pay again to ship my package and I lost the money I first paid.
    Just this past week my wife tried to ship the Christmas cards she forgot to take with us that had gift cards inside by printing a label at the USPS website and her label would not print.
    Two different computers and different printers.
    We ended up having to go to the post office and lost the original money as we had to pay twice.
    From now on we are going to the post office the first time.
    Both times the post office employees could refund our money for the labels that would not print.
    I don't know about this "Pirate Shipping", but I'm not going to jack around anymore, I'm just going straight to the post office.
    I wouldn't ship anything, but the wife occasionally insists on sending things.

Almost forgot, this all happened after the USPS upgraded and "improved" their website.
    Cancel the label, get your money back in 2-3 months... all done online so easy...

Boolit Master
    Shippo is another option to use for shipping. I did about 12 packages last month. It gives you the option of several shippers, and based on size and weight you choose what works best for you. I shipped everything using USPS priority mail and saved about 2 bucks a package. I printed and attached the shipping labels, walked past the 20 people waiting in line and dropped them on the counter at the post office. All packages arrived on time.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM54 View Post
    So if you print a label at "pirate ship" the post office HAS to accept it for shipping?????
    Yes, you are buying the label from the USPS, Pirate Ship is only in the middle giving you access to the commercial pricing. You type in all the info for the package and then just choose which carrier you want to use (USPS, UPS, etc). USPS tends to always be the cheapest. And they give you options on the Ground Advantage versus Priority Mail.

I shipped 49 packages last year and saved 50% off of going to the Post Office using Pirate Ship. It also allows me to just drop off the package in their drop box if the window/office hours aren't convenient.

Pirate Ship also has an interface to allow me to track all those packages, so I don't have to write down tracking numbers.