Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uberti vs. Pietta?

So, I have several Colt Single Action Armys and a single Uberti. The Uberti is an older Flat Top Target in 44 WCF. It's a tack driver. Remarkably accurate and I would not change a thing. It has a three click action and came with a longer base pin with two positions as a safety. Want four clicks? Buy a Colt, you won't regret it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8581.jpg  

Boolit Master
    The slight increase in cylinder diameter of the Ubertis -- and attendant gain in strength -- is useful when considering a Colt clone you might wish to hunt with. Brian Pearce discussed this in the March/April 2017 issue of Handloader.
    "....Most (Uberti cylinders)manufactured since the late 1990s have tested at 34 and are constructed of quality 4130 series chrome-moly steel.
    The Uberti revolver features a more or less .020-inch larger diameter cylinder ( 1.670 inches) than the Colt SAA ( 1.650 inches); however, the distance from the axis of
    the cylinder and the center of the bore is the same. This adds significant steel to the outside of the cylinder, as well as over the bolt notch ( effectively doubling that thickness), which is the SAA pattern revolver's weak link. If your Uberti is of late manufacture, it will handle .45 Colt loads that generate similar pressures as .45 ACP factory loads
    that are industry rated at 21,000 psi, or 23,000 psi for +P loads...."

Shot both my 2nd gen colts for years before a friend talked me into Cowboy Action so bought 2 Uberti's just for that, both in 45 colt chambers. After shooting these guns and working up loads I became disappointed and sold them both and never shot any Cowboy Action events as it was not my thing. I do like my two Rugers though, one BH 45 and one flat top in 44 Special.

Rugers are tough, acturate when loaded right and never any issues with either one.

Clones can be good for some, I just prefer a real Colt for how it's made and how it functions. Cost is huge now and buying the clones has allowed many to own a single action, and that is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by gc45 View Post
    Shot both my 2nd gen colts for years before a friend talked me into Cowboy Action so bought 2 Uberti's just for that, both in 45 colt chambers. After shooting these guns and working up loads I became disappointed and sold them both and never shot any Cowboy Action events as it was not my thing. I do like my two Rugers though, one BH 45 and one flat top in 44 Special.

Rugers are tough, acturate when loaded right and never any issues with either one.

Clones can be good for some, I just prefer a real Colt for how it's made and how it functions. Cost is huge now and buying the clones has allowed many to own a single action, and that is a good thing.
    You were disappointed with CAS or Uberti revolvers? If it was the revolvers, what was it? I own Colt and Uberti's and other than costing more I can't find any advantage to the Colt's, and found a few shortcomings that shouldn't have been present in revolvers that cost four figures.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I shoot one of the Cimarron Frontiers in .357. After Doug honed the cylinder for me I have a pistol that I'll keep.

Boolit Master

Ok so it sounds like they both might slug on the large side cylinder wise.

Is that a common issue or is not everyone seeing that?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    Ok so it sounds like they both might slug on the large side cylinder wise.

Is that a common issue or is not everyone seeing that?
    In my experience Uberti knows how to build revolvers, especially where cylinder throats diameters vs. barrel groove diameter is concerned. So when I got in from work this evening I grabbed three of my Uberti's; one of the .357's, one of the .44 Special's and my only .45 Colt, cleaned the cylinders and slugged and measured the throats of each. They couldn't have been more perfect-

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    In my experience Uberti knows how to build revolvers, especially where cylinder throats diameters vs. barrel groove diameter is concerned. So when I got in from work this evening I grabbed three of my Uberti's; one of the .357's, one of the .44 Special's and my only .45 Colt, cleaned the cylinders and slugged and measured the throats of each. They couldn't have been more perfect-

35W

Spot on!

I think an old model might be in my future.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12