WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: armor piercing ammo

Boolit Master

I've taken the penetrator out put it in drilled out 5160 steel rod and made a center punch.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Loudenboomer View Post
    I've taken the penetrator out put it in drilled out 5160 steel rod and made a center punch.
    The core on a .50BMG AP works for that real well too.
    Its also big enough not to need a extension handle.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

That could very well be. I don't recall distance of tests being mentioned.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    I can disprove that claim. I have 2 "expired" ceramic plate carriers from a LEO that fail pretty much anything that has a black tip - including the 30-06 until around 150 yards.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Not all ceramic plates are rated for AP. '06 AP will punch through a Level III plate.

As it is, Level IV is only rated to stop one round of 7.62x51mm AP @ 2880fps.

This chart has the dates which the various US Mil plants switched to noncorrosive primers. Sorry, it got reduced during the upload, but hopefully it's still readable.
    Attachment 321727

Edited to add:
    SL switched M2AP to noncorrosive at the 7-52 acceptance lot. So 1955 should be non corrosive. Probably still good insurance to clean as if corrosive, however.

Boolit Master
    Remington and Winchester stopped using corrosive primers prior to WWII, although I'm not certain of the actual date.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Mold
    The UK government plant at Radway Green was loading corrosive primers up to the 1960s. Always be wary of using milsurp ammunition as the use of corrosive primers stayed around much longer for military use. Nearly all UK RG .303 has corrosive primers.

Adding Potassium Chlorate to the primer mix extended its working life to around 25years and also improved its performance at both low and high temperatures, so military users tended to hang on to it for operational reasons.

Using AP ammunition probably doubles the danger area for conventional FMJ lead ammunition. The ricochet hazard is much greater as the core tends to separate on impact and take off virtually unaffected. I would suggest you only ever fire it on ranges with good, soft backstops or in very isolated areas. There is a famous video of a guy getting hit by his own ricochet.. I would put money on it being AP.

I would only ever shoot AP from inside an armoured vehicle or from behind hard cover.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12