Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Russian Mosin

Boolit Master

My First Russian Mosin

Never been a follower of the Mosin rifles other than the Finnish versions. I do have a 1943 VKT that still has the amorer hang tag. But I got intrigued by some u-tube videos on the short carbine length Mosins and picked up a rearsenaled M38, 1943 vintage, that is force matched with a very good bore.

Since these have much shorter barrels are there any tips on reloading for these?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0505.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	321533
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Be careful with your brass. Brass fired in a Russian chamber may expand at the head to where it will not resize enough to chamber in a Finn. Been there done that. I sold the Russian rifle and now have a sack of brass that will not size and chamber in the Finn.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    I had a couple M44 carbines, both in nice shape but sold both. With full power loads they are obnoxious. With the cast loads I shoot in my rifles they do fine but the short sight radius doesn't help. For some reason I always wanted a M38 but never found a decent one.

If it wanders around check the bedding, it can be awful. If the bedding is good they can shoot quite well.

I have a Finn VKT, one of my favorites. I don't remember ever shooting a jacketed round in and I've had it for a while. I have been playing with PC cast and it does rather well.

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice. I am a fanboy of all the Finn Mosins never really liked the Russkie ones. However; I have liked the M38. Much more than the later M44 carbine. I think any good cast load in a Mosin rifle will probably be just fine( for accuracy) in the carbine.

We have an informal carbine shoot at our range at times. 50 and 100 yards. It is a blast(no pun intended). The M38 would be fun carbine for shooting that with!!!

My first ever Mosin was an M91/30 VKT captured by the Finns and re-barrelled by Sako. You may notice on yours as well that the original Russian markings on the rear sight are crossed out and new/different ones are etched on the other side by the Finns. The Finns had converted over to the Metric system and used meters. But the backward and uneducated average Russian conscript still used the ancient measure of "arshins" (approximately .7 of a meter), so rather than trying to give all their cannon fodder an education while in boot camp, the Czar had simply ordered that the rifles be appropriately marked for the units of measure that his peasants understood and used. And the commies kept that policy until after WW2.
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

Have owned the m38 as well as several 91/30's.
    Now own Finnish rifles.
    But what these rifles seem to like as far as loads were unique and the 314299.
    The lee 312185 sized to .312 and powder coated would get you .314 and shoot well. These can be good accurate rifles.

Boolit Buddy
    I've shot C312-185-1R ,#311284 with 22.5gr Buffalo Rifle -or-28.0gr? H4895 in all my Mosins. I did not slug bores but sizes all boolits .311" dia. ACWW ,Hornady GC & Lee push thru .
    Jacketed go to is 150gr. bullet . Either PPU .311" dia. or Hornady .308 dia. #3031 . Can do 2MOA out to 100 or better .

Boolit Buddy
    I own 5. 4 Finnish barreled and 1 Polish. EVERYONE likes 16.0 gr 2400, Lyman 314299, .314”, #2 alloy, 50/50 lube. OAL varies from 2.85”-2.94” depending upon throat wear.

Brass is separated for each rifle and Lee neck collet sized.

My pride and joy Mosin is a M28/30, the 3rd one made once the design was finalized. It was assigned to the Civil Guard region where the Winter War battle of Raate Road took place. I’ve found out that for 55€ I can get reports from the Finnish National Archives on the date its build was finished, who inspected it and inspection results over the years, repairs, and who all it was issued to. I enjoy this hobby!

Boolit Master

Reviewing my initial post I failed to note that my Finn VKT is a M39 and I use a small stash of Norma brass for it. Plan to use different brass for the M38.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    Uncle,
    Very nice Carbine!

I never did find a nice M38, but found a mint M44 that loves my cast #311467. I have M91s, M91/30s and a slew of nice Finn bolt Mosins. All my Finns are more accurate than any Ruskie. I also found a nice M40 Tokarev with [SA] markings when in college in 1967 for $40.

I had to use G.I. Bill money for that M40 that was needed elsewhere. We survived and that M40 and others will go to the county Historical Society where I have been president for the last 20 years.

End of Sermon....LOL.

Be well.

Adam

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I’ve got a Hungarian one (02 marking) sitting in my safe and and sealed tuna tin of ammo for it. Has a folding bayonet on it. Might have to shoot it some day.

Boolit Buddy
    I am a HUGE Mosin fan, I have over 80-90 of them from every country of every model, I have found my NOE 312299 PCed and GC over 35 grn of 4064 shoots good in normally all of my mosins, as well as I can shoot them

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Be careful with your brass. Brass fired in a Russian chamber may expand at the head to where it will not resize enough to chamber in a Finn. Been there done that. I sold the Russian rifle and now have a sack of brass that will not size and chamber in the Finn.
    Did not know this.
    Thanks.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Mold
    I just ordered some Lapua 7.62x53 brass. Didn't really need it but the price was much lower than other vendors - $101/100. Got 4 boxes. I should be good for the rest of my life. https://redriverreloading.com/reload...brass-100.html

44,s loaded to 30-30 win speeds are mild cats compared to full 7.62x54r,s.

How do you go about requesting that info?

Quote Originally Posted by Whole Bunches View Post
    I own 5. 4 Finnish barreled and 1 Polish. EVERYONE likes 16.0 gr 2400, Lyman 314299, .314”, #2 alloy, 50/50 lube. OAL varies from 2.85”-2.94” depending upon throat wear.

Brass is separated for each rifle and Lee neck collet sized.

My pride and joy Mosin is a M28/30, the 3rd one made once the design was finalized. It was assigned to the Civil Guard region where the Winter War battle of Raate Road took place. I’ve found out that for 55€ I can get reports from the Finnish National Archives on the date its build was finished, who inspected it and inspection results over the years, repairs, and who all it was issued to. I enjoy this hobby!
    How do you request that info?

Boolit Master

I had had one of the China built M 53 carbines follow me home once. I thought my adopted son ( From China ) might enjoy it. It seems to be a solid enough gun but we have neglected it, He liked the idea of a folding Bayonet for some reason. No surprise, It is noisy and spectacular in the muzzle flash department, and generally shoots where you point it.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie1971 View Post
    How do you go about requesting that info?
    https://www.mosin.fi/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast