Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on a new Jack Garner rifle purchase

Boolit Master

Advice on a new Jack Garner rifle purchase

I've talked to Jack a couple times in the last month, I want him to build me a Tenn po boy rifle, which is a style that he does ALOT. Back in '91 he built me a fullstock hawken style rifle in 54 cal with a 1" barrel that I like ( it's heavier now somehow) , but I want a more slender lighter rifle, now that I'm 70. This gun will be used for targets, and maybe some squirrels. I'm considering 36 cal with a 3/4 in barrel 36" long. I don't have a rifle in this caliber, anyone have one and want to steer me away, or toward this?

Boolit Master
    Personally, I would get a .40 caliber. I know it sounds odd but I’ve handled quite a few old rifles in the .40 to .42 size range. I have come to believe there was some conclusion determined when front loaders were the norm that a good balance of killing power vs. economy was in this size range. The rifles above .50 cal went west of the Mississippi but deer and black bear could be taken effectively in the eastern mountains with smaller bores.
    Last edited by HWooldridge; 12-29-2023 at 10:15 PM.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I do like the .40, as the balls are easier to handle. Insist on a swamped barrel!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I second the swamped barrel. Just so much nicer to use.

Boolit Master
    I vote for the .40 cal, bore does not foul as bad, you can use a bigger ramrod that will be stronger, and it does about the same thing as a 36 but a little more if you need it.

Boolit Master

Thanks guys, I thought about a 40. I kept sayin' "too much for squirrel" but really, unless you make head shots, even a 32 is a bit much for squirrel if you want to eat'em. I'm thinking on it, I can pretty much say it WILL NOT be used for deer. Where I live, I need as big a hole in one as possible for trailing, if necessary. I have 50 and 54 for that.

.32 swamped barrel. I never had any trouble with fouling in the small calibers. I would consider a .29 as well.

Boolit Master

I have a 36 and a 32, and just ordered another 32. I really like the way my 36 shoots, it’s a Hawken style rifle half stock and hooked breech. I have never had a problem with fouling in my 32 or 36, they are squirrel rifles, and I always start with a grease patch, and then the rest are spit patches. That has been my practice for 40+ years. The 36 cal is more forgiving of slight deviations in the loading process, as compared to the 32 cal, but the 32 is still my favorite. All of that said, the 36 is probably the best shooting black powder rifle I have ever owned. Even out to 50 yds it just stacks them on top of each other time after time. Also with the 36 with 25 grains of 3F, behind a PRB, it will not ruin a squirrel if you make a bad shot. It may break a leg bone but it is still fit to eat. My little 32 Crockett with 20 gr of 3F, will blow either the front or back half off of a squirrel, or blow them in half with a shot through the middle, if you don’t head shoot them it’s not worth going and picking it up. Buy the 36 you will not be disappointed.
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master

Thanks Boerrancher, that helps. Let me ask 1 more question. Many say that I should get a swamped barrel for improved handling, I plan to get a 3/4 in barrel and only 36" long to reduce wt further. Will that configuration benefit from a swamped barrel too? (I think if I ask for a swamped barrel it will be a minimum of 38")
    Last edited by T-Bird; 01-01-2024 at 04:09 PM.

Boolit Master

I understand the reasoning behind a swamped barrel, but myself have never seen the need. My 32 cal has a 3/4” dia, 32” long barrel. It weighs about 6 3/4 lbs. It is one of the lightest rifles I own, including modern ones. My 36 Hawken with a 15/16 dia 28” barrel weighs in at exactly 10 lbs. Even if the barrel was swamped on it, what would it loose a couple ounces max? Not worth it in my honest opinion. Swamping sounds good in theory but but in reality we are talking ounces not lbs.
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
    Thanks Boerrancher, that helps. Let me ask 1 more question. Many say that I should get a swamped barrel for improved handling, I plan to get a 3/4 in barrel and only 36" long to reduce wt further. Will that configuration benefit from a swamped barrel too? (I think if I ask for s swamped barrel it will be a minimum of 38")
    I would ask the gunsmith about the weight difference. Suspect a swamped 38” might be lighter and handle better than a straight 36” but it’s best to do the math.

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Thanks Boerrancher, that helps. Let me ask 1 more question. Many say that I should get a swamped barrel for improved handling, I plan to get a 3/4 in barrel and only 36" long to reduce wt further. Will that configuration benefit from a swamped barrel too? (I think if I ask for s swamped barrel it will be a minimum of 38")
    With a straight barrel, you are aiming a crowbar. With a swamped barrel you are aiming a magic wand. It makes that much difference.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    With a straight barrel, you are aiming a crowbar. With a swamped barrel you are aiming a magic wand. It makes that much difference.
    I just don’t see how it can, as I said we are talking ounces and only a couple at most. Because I was a light fighter for most of my years in service, I get ounces add up to pounds, and pounds add up to pain, so any unnecessary weight was avoided. We wanted the lightest rifles, and equipment we could get and still do our jobs, but I think the swamped barrel is more psychological than anything, unless you are talking a 32 cal on a 1.5 inch diameter barrel or something crazy like that. Just like flutes on a modern rifle barrel to reduce weight, means nothing. The flutes aid in cooling because the increased surface area but are essentially pointless in reducing weight. If swamping changes the harmonics of a barrel making it more accurate, I can get behind that concept, because as a precision rifle shooter, barrel harmonics are a key factor.
    WWG1WGA

Quote Originally Posted by Boerrancher View Post
    I just don’t see how it can, as I said we are talking ounces and only a couple at most. Because I was a light fighter for most of my years in service, I get ounces add up to pounds, and pounds add up to pain, so any unnecessary weight was avoided. We wanted the lightest rifles, and equipment we could get and still do our jobs, but I think the swamped barrel is more psychological than anything, unless you are talking a 32 cal on a 1.5 inch diameter barrel or something crazy like that. Just like flutes on a modern rifle barrel to reduce weight, means nothing. The flutes aid in cooling because the increased surface area but are essentially pointless in reducing weight. If swamping changes the harmonics of a barrel making it more accurate, I can get behind that concept, because as a precision rifle shooter, barrel harmonics are a key factor.
    Find someone who has one of each, handle them, and then tell me what would work better for you. I've been shooting muzzle loaders for 50 years, and all my rifles have, and will ever have in the future, swamped barrels.

Boolit Master

Waksupi, do you have a small caliber (.36) , short barreled (36") with a 3/4 " barrel? I talked to Jack today, told him I had been reading about swamped barrels, and wondered if I should opt for the 38" swamped, or the straight 36". He said that with that light a barrel he didn't think it (swamped) would do what it does for a larger dia barrel. I even told him I didn't mind paying for it. I really appreciate all your comments, they are helping me alot.

Boolit Grand Master

Years ago I had Jack build me a 50 cal. iron mounted Virginia with a 13/16" barrel. It is lighter and better balanced than both of my .32 and .40 Poor Boys.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Find someone who has one of each, handle them, and then tell me what would work better for you. I've been shooting muzzle loaders for 50 years, and all my rifles have, and will ever have in the future, swamped barrels.
    I will say this, you have never been wrong on anything you have ever told me so, I will indeed find someone nearby that has a rifle with a swamped barrel, and give it a try.
    WWG1WGA

I have no knowledge of black powder guns at all. What is a swamped barrel? I have only shot one front stuffer once and it was 32 cal flint. I had a smile on my mug for about half an hour thinking about how much smoke came out of it. LOL

Waksupi, do you have a small caliber (.36) , short barreled (36") with a 3/4 " barrel? I talked to Jack today, told him I had been reading about swamped barrels, and wondered if I should opt for the 38" swamped, or the straight 36". He said that with that light a barrel he didn't think it (swamped) would do what it does for a larger dia barrel. I even told him I didn't mind paying for it. I really appreciate all your comments, they are helping me alot.
    I sold a .36 I had built last summer with a 40" barrel. I stand by what I said about the handling of a swamped barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill 7 View Post
    I have no knowledge of black powder guns at all. What is a swamped barrel? I have only shot one front stuffer once and it was 32 cal flint. I had a smile on my mug for about half an hour thinking about how much smoke came out of it. LOL
    http://colerainbarrel.com/barrel-diagrams/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast