RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger .44 Mag Blackhawk Real Bummer!!!!

Boolit Master

New Ruger .44 Mag Blackhawk Real Bummer!!!!

Ordered and just received a new Ruger Super Blackhawk Stainless with 4.6" barrel. At the shop, looked it over and it seemed OK.

Everything was looking good as I was preparing to clean and lube the revolver for a trip to the range. I removed the yellow plastic ring at the rear of the cylinder, (usual for the new Blackhawks) and reinserted the cylinder. I immediately noticed considerable daylight through the cylinder/barrel gap! Looked like I could insert a dime in the gap, just a swag guess!!!

I grabbed a feeler gauge and a .021" would go halfway, and .020" would easily pass through!

I would have preferred a .006" cylinder gap, but .020" is just ridiculous.

Also the grip panels were very ill fitting, (I know, I should have seen it when I bought it), being very small compared to the stainless frame. I was going to replace these anyway.

The grip frame screws were very loose, the heads on one screw stuck up proud of the frame hole.

Does a person have to take feeler gauges, headspace gauges, micrometers and calipers with them nowadays to check out a new firearm!

I called Ruger, went back to my FFL dealer and the revolver is going back to the mother ship.

The bad grip fit, and loose screws I can deal with, BUT a .020" cylinder/barrel gap from the factory......who checks these revolvers before shipment, .....Blind Melon Chitlins???

Ruger has always seemed good as to customer service, I sure hope they still are!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Sorry to hear of it. Good luck with it.

I had a SBH that they never did get right. They finally replaced it with a new gun. I sold the new gun and got the 44 Special Blackhawk I have now.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Sorry you have to go through this, but Ruger will take care of you.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeeesh, I've never heard of a gap that large. Next time get a BFR . . . they run around .003-.004" barrel to cylinder and have the free-spin pawl (nice feature!).

Boolit Buddy

Dump that Ruger and buy a Colt Anaconda 44 mag!!!

Boolit Master
    I have grown discouraged with Ruger's poor-QC "kit guns." There is no excuse for garbage to leave their factory.

Boolit Master

Had a 480 SBH that arrived Ill fitting and out of time. Pulling the hammer was similar to kicking over my old Harley. Sent it back. I was very impressed when it was returned. I think the business plan is to rely on good machining and cheep fast help assembling. Many customers may not know or care if there gun is only almost good enough. For the Few that do. Send it back and we'll make it right by paying the high dollar guy make sure it fits. Probably saves them money in the long run. Not just picking on Ruger. I have a rather expensive Springfield Armory 1911 that would not run reliably after hundreds of rounds. Returned it and it came back excellent.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Boolit Master

I have to say that I am still shaking my head about this .020" cylinder gap.

Just checked my Ruger New Vaquero 45 Colt and it is .005"

My Ruger Single Six is also .005".

My S&W 629 is .006" and S&W 586 is .005", and my old Police trade-in S&W Model 19 runs .009".

I measured that brand-new .44 Magnum Blackhawk 3 times just to be sure I wasn't in the "Twilight Zone", but just holding it up to the light, it looked like you could use a dime to gauge it.

When I measured .020" cylinder gap, I knew I didn't want to shoot it. So back to Ruger she goes.

It'd be interesting to hear the response of Rugers CS rep if you call (sounds like you're going to have the gun store handle it?).

It'd go something like this.
    Did you shoot it?
    No... Why would I?
    How do you know somethings wrong if you haven't shot it yet?

When I had the SBH, I called and complained about it leading badly. We had a go round about me shooting cast reloads. I flexed my technical grey matter on the subject. After I explained I'd tried different alloys, different bullets, different lubes, different sizes, slugged the bore... the woman said "I'll send you a return label for $30".

I love Ruger's guns, but their customer service has taken a nose dive in the last 20 years.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Banned
    buying used old isn't a bad thing.. is it.

Quote Originally Posted by castmiester View Post
    buying used old isn't a bad thing.. is it.
    Especially when a new gun cost what they do now.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    First off,, I'll say it sounds as if you got one that isn't as it should be.

And yes,, Ruger will fix it. They still have a good customer service dept.

Sadly,, we have a normal human reaction to loudly complain about a bad item,, but the good stuff gets ignored. I'm NOT making excuses here,, but it's just a normal thing to hear a lot more "bad" stories than the ones that sing praises.

With that thought out of the way,, I'll try & address what most likely has happened.

Ruger Firearms is no longer Bill Ruger's "Sturm, Ruger & Co." When it was under Bill's control,, we all lamented on how LONG it took to get many guns,, especially the "newly introduced" models. Often up to 2 years or more until the average gun shop would get one or two in stock. Again,, lots of complaints.
    But in general,, the guns we did get were being built slower & by "gun people" who understood what we needed.

Bill passed, Bill Jr. run things for a while,, then he too is gone,, and currently,, not a single Bill Ruger relative is involved in the Company.

The company suffered a bit,, and had issues to where the stock price,, (remember this fact,) got below $5 a share. We were looking at the possibility of not even having a Ruger firearm company.

Enter new management,, and different ideas. With an eye towards stockholders, and profits. We saw the company change the SR logo to the "Hard "R" logo. We also saw a lot of "lean manufacturing" stuff get implemented.

In just a few years,, we were no longer waiting very long to get a new gun in our hands. Manufacturing methods were changed. And another thing was how the workforce changed. To be able to afford to sell the guns at a profit,, as older "gun people" retired,,, or whatever,, they hired machine operators,, as well as streamlining assembly methods. It increased the production,, and we've seen them make One Million guns in one year,, and follow that with a year where they made two Million guns in a year.

The key here is now,, many of the assembly line workforce are NOT gun people. They are there to operate a machine, or assemble a part to a gun as it goes down the line. They use gauges at each station to see that what they do fits in the tolerances,, then pass it on to the next station. Production is the key thought. Experienced gun builders cost more to hire & pay than parts assemblers. And they can slow down production schedules.

As such,, a percentage of the guns will pass each station tolerance,, yet fail in a customer's hands when they discover an issue like the barrel to cylinder gap. A gun person would catch that,, while a parts assembler may miss it.

Apparently,, you got one of the guns that the gap was considered "good enough" by an assembler,, and passed along.

OR,,,,,,,,,, And this has happened.
    An assembler gets upset on the job,, and wants to get back at the company,, by sending out guns that they know will return,, costing the company money. Doesn't happen often,, but it has happened.

So,, a polite call, and a return to them will get it corrected.

Oh,, and just to point it out,, this is NOT just a Ruger problem. It's ALL gun makers where production is the driving force.

Ever since Bill Ruger passed away, the company is "Ruger" in name only.

Not to single out Ruger, though. ALL the major firearms manufacturers have let quality decline. Now they're on par with the vast majority of other domestic manufacturers.

On the other hand, when you order mass produced stuff sight unseen, basically taking a roll of the dice, then you're taking your own chances. I guess manufacturers figure that in such a retail marketplace they can get away with a lot most of the time.
    Last edited by 6string; 12-30-2023 at 12:50 AM.

Banned
    Well that’s good to know.. stay away from new stuff. Or buy smiths or whatever.

Boolit Grand Master

Overall Ruger's QC is not the same as it was under Bill with one exception. Bill never understood what it took to make an accurate rifle barrel. Best example is the Ruger Palma Rifles Bill made for the Palma team in 1992. Under Bill even the top-of-the-line rifles were hit and miss for accuracy. Today even the economy Ruger rifles tend to shoot extremely well.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Sad to hear how Ruger went . I have different wheel guns of theirs and always happy with them. Now it looks to see other makes that might be a little better. Things for the heads up on this .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Buying new now is not a bad thing,, just different. And as I said,, it's NOT just Ruger. Smiff & Weston have similar issues.

Having spoken with Ruger management directly about QC & all,,, it's actually surprising at the low PERCENTAGES of the returns. Why we apparently SEEM to see more "bad" guns is that a LOT more of them are being built annually than when Bill was running things,, and hard core production numbers weren't a driving force. And even under Bill,,, bad ones did escape the factory. I recently saw pictures of a 1957 .357 where the forcing cone was totally cut WRONG.
    It happens,, even when "gun folks" build stuff.
    But the low percentages of the returns was an eye opener. Picking on hypothetical numbers here,, let's look at things.
    Say Ruger builds 30,000 of a model. (And yes,, they do that in a year.) At a 2% return rate,, that's 600 guns returned. And most often,, that 600 guns just happens to be real gun people,, not the average Joe who buys a gun and a box of ammo, and shoots very little, or isn't a real gun person.
    That said,, I was given return numbers from as low as .04% to as high as 3.9% across the board.

We just have to remember,, in todays world,, it's mass manufacturing,, or hand-made custom. Mass manufacturing,, reduces costs,, and gives us a lot of an item. Hand-made custom,, long backlog and very expensive. Think; Ruger vs Freedom Arms. You order a FA now,, give them a deposit, and you have a 2 year wait. And you pay 4-6 times the cost of a Ruger.
    But many, many mass mfged guns are actually better guns than most shooters can operate. We serious gun people who are deeply into them,, are a minority.
    Heck,, start talking about reloading,, and many shooters are not reloaders & scared of doing it. Add in casting,, and often you get a glazed look as if you are performing magic. Throw in swaging,, and a huge number of shooters are totally surprised a home set up is even possible. Heck,, I just read a posting ON HERE,, in the swaging section from 2017,, where a guy is forming his own brass cases that use a primer. Several members here were surprised by that. There are tens of millions of gun owners. I've heard that approximately 1/3 of Americans own guns. With a population of 330 million people,, that's 110 million gun owners. Reloaders, casters, and swagers are a small percentage of that number. Brass case makers are VERY few people in all of that.

My point is that while we do seem to see QC issues pop up a lot,, the actual percentages of bad ones is lower than what many may think. But they do happen,, and a good manufacturer will correct stuff.

Boolit Master

Let me explain in full, I did call Ruger and the lady who answered was very nice. I explained the excessive cylinder gap. She had me wait while she "looked up cylinder gap." She then had me wait while she contacted a "Tech" person. She then said to send the revolver back and she was sorry this happened.

She gave me a choice, she would send me an RMA, but I had to leave the revolver off at a Fed-Ex main terminal, not a drop box, or I could have my dealer FFl send it back, after they called Ruger explaining situation. She would then send dealer RMA for shipping.

I don't have any Fed-Ex terminals close, so the dealer agreed to send it back.

The Ruger representative was very cordial.

Boolit Buddy
    JUST A SLIGHT THREAD DRIFT ABOUT RUGER, I have an ongoing issue with the USPS having lost two of my Ruger cylinders (AAAARRRGGGGHHH). In trying to figure out what to do to get new cylinders I contacted Ruger and they would not sell me just the cylinders because these are a "fitted item." I would have to send my frames back to Ruger. In discussion with others "in the know" Ruger will remove any non stock part and REPLACE AT YOUR COST any non original parts. My magna ported barrel, better front and rear sights, all internal parts that were replaced and fitted(action job", ect. Just an FYI about Ruger.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't buy many handguns, but a month or two ago I went looking to see what was out there. I was shocked. s&w's, rugers and even most of the colt's were trash I wouldn't ever buy. ymmv, and I hope it does, but what I saw was pure garbage. I'll just keep my old issue and be happy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast