WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tight Lever Closing

Boolit Mold

Tight Lever Closing

Hey Guys

Just an Aussie who loves shooting and hunting as much as you blokes but have a problem with one of my many 30-30 cast loads, tried searching but it is hard with the forum being so big, so will try posting a thread.

The problem is the final bit of the lever closing is very tight and seems to be only on my high gas-checked loads and maybe just with the one factory-bought projectile.
    They are a powder-coated 165gr projy made more for .308, but the same .309 size that goes well in my Rossi with other cast pills from HRBC.

I tried the .308 projies as they don't do a 30-30 pill that is cast to fit the gas checks.
    I machine a larger flat nose so there is no risk in the tube mag.
    I then tried trimming some cases 20 thou shorter like they do for the soft plastic tip Hrdy FXT pills to see if it could be the different-shaped nose but they still caused the issue about the same.
    It's not all shots but always get some.

I should have unloaded one of the problem rounds for close inspection but always forget in the heat of the moment shooting at the range.

If someone knows what things can cause that final lever closing tightness, it would also be appreciated.
    It is like that end bit where it pushes the little lock-up lever in to allow firing if that is the correct terminology.

I don't have too many of the .308 projies left and will stick with the propper 30-30 ones in future.
    I now have a mini-lathe and can do 2 cuts to fit the gas-checks.
    I don't remember if I still get the odd tight one or not when doing the high loads with the propper 30-30 projies.

I definitely don't get the issue when loading normal jacketed or cast projies with no gas checks.
    I even worked up to near full load with the casties without checks but there is a point where they lose accuracy and the risk of leading so no point going that hot with them.

I don't hunt with the casties as the Skinner peep sight is left zeroed for 150gr full jacketed loads.
    I just use them for cheaper plinking and offhand practice where I like the rifle to kick the same as when I am out hunting with full loads.

Any help and or tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    First try seating the boolit a little deeper.

Howdy and welcome to cb.gl forum.

In my Winchester 94 30-30, which happens to have a tight throat, if I use a powder coated bullet thats a bore riding design, it will engrave the rifling on the nose, causing hard chambering. It also causes the bullets to get stuck in the throat when extracting a live round.

When sizing bullets, only the diameter of the bearing surface changes, but because the PC increases the size everywhere the nose also becomes larger in diameter. The same bullets, when traditionally lubed do not cause any issue in my gun.

There is no reason that a gas check would cause the problem you're having.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 12-29-2023 at 10:51 PM.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Paint one of your loaded rounds with a sharpie, drop it straight into the chamber, close the lever, then carefully extract it.
    It will tell you where it is hanging up.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Mold
    Sounds like a plan winger although I have never achieved much in results painting projies for other cals.

I am pretty sure I would have tried seating them deeper as a first step but will do it again to be sure and rule out everything I can.

I didn't think it could be much to do with the gas checks but couldn't be sure.
    I fit them by pushing them through a Lee bullet sizing die and it doesn't greatly affect the powder coating so everything else should be good.

I didn't realize it was my first post as I have lurked a bit and would have done an intro but just thought to ask here after the shorter cases made no change.
    I seem to have it pinpointed to the .308 pills and suspect the nose shape must be doing it.
    Was stupid not ejecting a tight one at the range as marks would tell the tale.

Before warned to watch for powder going everywhere in your action if you eject a tight one and it pulls the bullet.

I checked one in the house... and when I ejected it, powder slung all over and I got a mess of it in my action, which is about like having a handful of sand in your action.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master
    It could be the shoulder isn’t being set back in the sizing die.

I doubt it's a problem with the gas checks.

If a sized brass goes in & out OK, I look to the length or boolit design.
    If a cycled loaded round has light marks where the booliit has hit the rifling
    and just scratched off the powder coat, you can seat it deeper, or in some cases it's OK.
    With jacketed, that can get you in trouble real fast, but with cast- it might not be bad.

Read up on 'bore riding' bullet designs.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    You have not mentioned exactly what cast bullet form you are using, only the weight. You mention machining the nose of the bullet flat to prevent a problem in the tube magazine of the rifle. If you are doing this in a lathe, is it 3 or 4 jaw chuck? Any chance, if using a chuck, are you careless in tightening things down and distorting the bullet to alter the diameter of the body? That could be where you get the random chambering issue.

Boolit Master
    I once had this problem. took a while to figure it out. there were no rifle marks on end of projectile when forced into battery and then ejected.and brass was perfect in a Lyman shell gauge, turned out to be the sizing die was not adjust right. had it screwed down a bit too much and it was just slightly crushing shoulder of brass, so little it could not be seen. if there are no marks on end of projectile after forcing shell in and then ejecting try just loading your resized brass into gun and make sure it loads smooth.

Boolit Master

Fester
    Welcome to the CastBoolits.
    Lots of great reccomendations. Buy process
    of elimination, it assuredly will be one or more
    of these. Either it's the case not being sized down far enough, and the shoulder not being pushed back or the boolit is seated out to far. You can get a lot of information with a black
    sharpie pen.
    Last edited by littlejack; 12-29-2023 at 03:31 PM.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master
    What littlejack said bullet out too far, brass not sized properly, tight base, lots of answers with a sharpie ??? Look real close allover ?? after ejecting a tight round ???

OK here's my 2 cents. Since you tried seating the bullet deeper preventing the nose of the bullet from engaging the rifling, a sized case chambers without issue, and not all loaded cases are difficult to chamber the one thing you did not mention is crimp. My guess is your cases are not all the same length causing some to get more of a crimp than others. This will cause a bulge near the case mouth which will make chambering difficult.

Boolit Master

Kai brought up a good point.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

I had this problem with my .45-70 Henry, it turned out to be the powder coating.
    Don't get me wrong, I love powder coating, but the nose of the bullet gets too large with the powder coating.
    Do everything the same, but tumble lube instead of powder coat. See if the problem goes away.
    I will turn down the nose a bit, then powder coat the next time I load for my .45-70.
    Noticed the same problem with my trap doors.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Howdy and welcome to cb.gl forum.

In my Winchester 94 30-30, which happens to have a tight throat, if I use a powder coated bullet thats a bore riding design, it will engrave the rifling on the nose, causing hard chambering. It also causes the bullets to get stuck in the throat when extracting a live round.

When sizing bullets, only the diameter of the bearing surface changes, but because the PC increases the size everywhere the nose is becomes larger in diameter. The same bullets, when traditionally lubed do not cause any issue in my gun.

There is no reason that a gas check would cause the problem you're having.
    would be my guess - ditch the lipstick and go back to a grease groove lube

Boolit Mold
    I did a test in the garage and the Hawkesbury River Bullet Company projectiles that are made for 30-30 chamber and eject fine after I machine the base and fit gas checks.

The problem was only the ones they cast for .308 as they all had some tightness feel on lever closing and could also feel it when ejecting the unfired cartridges.
    I painted a tight one with a white paint pen and did get 2 rifling type marks much further down than I would have expected.

The .308 projies are indeed a much different shape and I can see a ridge-lip on the 30-30 deigned pills.
    Will try to add the photo and will just have to stick with machining the proper 30-30 projies to fit the gas checks.
    Will buy another 400 box soon as I now know and just scrap the .308 ones I have fitted with checks.

Thanks for all the tips guys as it got me down to the bench and sorted.

Boolit Mold
    I couldn't get the photo to load and my internet has slowed to dial-up speeds, it should come good in a few days.

Like our draconian gun laws after a mass shooting in 1996, everything our useless govt touches just turns to ****.
    They recently did my street with the new fiber cable national broadband installation and it still slows down to pathetic slow speeds and drop-outs.
    We only got mobile phone reception without walking up the hill about 6 years back, after the big bushfire, but they won't admit we now get wildfires despite the huge number of houses lost rather than a few.
    I wouldn't swap it for that overcrowded Sydney and suburbs about 1.5hrs East.
    Will stick to mountain living and can drive 1hr and a bit West to hunt deer on public forest land.
    No more seasons as they declared them a feral pest rather than a game species and now think they can be eradicated despite them failing to eradicate any other feral species.

What's worse is despite us rec hunters killing more deer than they could ever achieve, they now say we are not even part of the solution and lie about us being part of the problem.
    We waste time harvesting the meat rather than shooting all the deer. We also shoot Bucks and Stags rather than hinds and does.
    They are now culling heavily using helicopter gunships and also want to start using poisons like 1080 and another secret one.

It must seem stupid to you blokes and to waste such a valuable resource like venison is disgusting.
    If the national govt goes along with the plan started by some farmers in one state.
    We could see the end of public land hunting in the few states that still has it.
    This is why they are pushing that it should be a govt professional shooting thing and not us.
    Another little fact is that rec hunting provides so much money, mostly to poor rural communities, that it is one of the biggest primary industries after cattle, sheep, and timber.
    The greenies want logging stopped and that may help get hunters out as they will declare forests National Parks.

Sorry for the off-topic rant but I just had to do it while talking with shooters in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Fester View Post
    I did a test in the garage and the Hawkesbury River Bullet Company projectiles that are made for 30-30 chamber and eject fine after I machine the base and fit gas checks.

The problem was only the ones they cast for .308 as they all had some tightness feel on lever closing and could also feel it when ejecting the unfired cartridges.
    I painted a tight one with a white paint pen and did get 2 rifling type marks much further down than I would have expected.

The .308 projies are indeed a much different shape and I can see a ridge-lip on the 30-30 deigned pills.
    Will try to add the photo and will just have to stick with machining the proper 30-30 projies to fit the gas checks.
    Will buy another 400 box soon as I now know and just scrap the .308 ones I have fitted with checks.

Thanks for all the tips guys as it got me down to the bench and sorted.
    Not sure what your resources are over there but a lead pot, some lead, and a the correct mold and all your problems are solved!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Not sure what your resources are over there but a lead pot, some lead, and a the correct mold and all your problems are solved!
    If a body wants to cast boolits our resources are fine we have one of the best mold makers on the planet (CBE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast