Thread: 1887 Enfield Martini Henry

Boolit Master

1887 Enfield Martini Henry

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	666D7AD1-C646-4077-9FAC-17E53A6A0D37.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	321451
    A couple years ago I picked up this rifle in 577-450 MH. The pics online appeared to be in worse shape than it was. My plan was to strip it to the action and build a sporter in 45-70 or 40-65. Once it arrived and I saw it was complete except for the bayonet I haven’t had the heart to cut it up.

I ordered some cases for it. Slugged the barrel at .475. Bought a Lee mold for the 480 Ruger and dies for the same. Got a shell holder and just size the necks. Can’t use regular dies because my press is 7/8-14. I just use a plinking load of about 12 gr of Unique and it goes bang every time. I can’t remember velocity but but I think around 1100 fps. Plenty for Whitetail but I haven’t took a deer with it yet.
    Not sure what I’ll do with this old war horse.
    What do you guys think?
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfer View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	666D7AD1-C646-4077-9FAC-17E53A6A0D37.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	321451
    A couple years ago I picked up this rifle in 577-450 MH. The pics online appeared to be in worse shape than it was. My plan was to strip it to the action and build a sporter in 45-70 or 40-65. Once it arrived and I saw it was complete except for the bayonet I haven’t had the heart to cut it up.

I ordered some cases for it. Slugged the barrel at .475. Bought a Lee mold for the 480 Ruger and dies for the same. Got a shell holder and just size the necks. Can’t use regular dies because my press is 7/8-14. I just use a plinking load of about 12 gr of Unique and it goes bang every time. I can’t remember velocity but but I think around 1100 fps. Plenty for Whitetail but I haven’t took a deer with it yet.
    Not sure what I’ll do with this old war horse.
    What do you guys think?
    Keep shooting it! I wish that I had one like it.

Boolit Grand Master
    They aren't making any new ones. If it is safely useable as it is, I will agree with keeping it in one piece and enjoying it.

If you really want a Martini actioned sporter, I am sure there are plenty of donor rifles with ruined bores to start with.

Robert

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    No, you don't! They are addictive!

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Keep shooting it! I wish that I had one like it.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    No, you don't! They are addictive!
    Pretty sure that I am an addict.....

Boolit Master
    If it's shooting, leave it as is! Maybe pretty up the wood, that's a fun project! Make sure to stick a feeler gauge in it to check headspace.

Boolit Master

If it was mine and in shootable condition, I would leave it as is and shoot and enjoy it. Those old black powder cartridge rifle just do it for me. james

Boolit Buddy
    If you already have what it takes to make it shoot and are happy with how it shoots it will for sure be more then enough for whitetail.

But if you want to build a sporter martini Henry rifles aren't exactly a rarity you won't be chopping up an irreplaceable piece of history.
    It's yours , do as you please with it .

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I used one of those old camel greasers for 1000 yard matches years ago. They will shoot as-is.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!