WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Book of Life

Boolit Grand Master

The Book of Life

I do not understand why there is a Book of Life.

The Book of Life is a record written by God before the creation of the world, listing who will live forever in the kingdom of heaven. God knew before the world was created who would be saved and who would suffer eternal damnation.

It seems He knew who would accept Jesus and who would not.

What about "free will"? Has our decision to accept Christ been pre-ordained or pre-destined? Did God know what we would choose before we made a choice? But that is another rabbit hole for another thread.

More interesting is why God would need a book. He knows everything. Why does he need to look this up in a book when Judgement Day happens?
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I read in the Bible in different places that there are thigs that He says and does that we are not going to understand. This may be one of those things. Maybe the book is for us maybe for unbelievers, maybe for satan. If this was important to you or my salvation HE would make it clear. Now that I have typed this spell check wants me to capitalize satan's name. NOT GOING TO DO IT, NOT EVER

So, this is in God's own handwriting written on some kind of indestructible material?
    I don't understand.

Very timely discussion because my wife asked me this morning when a persons name was written in the Book of Life. I didn't know the answer, but she asks me these questions because I used to be a believer and very religious. Odd that this one should show up today from two different places!
    Tony

I generally try to steer clear of these conversations, because my beliefs are different from many and I feel no need to justify them.
    However, there is truly a Book of Life. If it doesn't exist, why is it mentioned? All of the dead, great and small, will stand before the Lord for judgment. On the Judgment Day the Book is opened and those who's names are found there-in are covered by salvation. There is an unforgiveable sin, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, and therefore if one is once saved, but blasphemes, their name can be crossed out. Yes, it is true that "I knew thee from before the womb" and that God the Father and Jesus Christ can know what is to come (our destiny), but it is also true that we are free agents, given a will of our own, subject to the influences of the world and Satan, and that we may accept or reject salvation. Once saved, a person's name is entered into the book. Those who's names are not found in the Book will be dragged kicking and screaming to the edge of the pit by two large and burly angels and tossed in. The Good News is that those not found in the Book will be given a second chance to believe, and it's hard to imagine that very many will not do so under the circumstances, with the Christ visible before them on his throne. My beliefs, maybe not yours, but soundly based in The Revelation to St. John.

DG

Boolit Master

When I have these questions I defer to Paul, 1st Corinthians 13, verse 12. At best my insight into Spiritual matters is cloudy. One day when I meet Christ face to face I will “know as I am known.” On that day I will be a cosmic know-it-all!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Many people are making Revelation what they want it to be.
    Looks like a nuclear war, to me...

I am a Christian based in Gospel
    To be Saved:
    What did Jesus say?
    Do it.

Really is that simple. The world wants to make it complicated.
    "none are righteous, no not one", said Paul. But we can try.
    And accept Christ for who He Is.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I do not understand why there is a Book of Life.

The Book of Life is a record written by God before the creation of the world, listing who will live forever in the kingdom of heaven. God knew before the world was created who would be saved and who would suffer eternal damnation.

It seems He knew who would accept Jesus and who would not.

What about "free will"? Has our decision to accept Christ been pre-ordained or pre-destined? Did God know what we would choose before we made a choice? But that is another rabbit hole for another thread.

More interesting is why God would need a book. He knows everything. Why does he need to look this up in a book when Judgement Day happens?

Below are my thoughts on this subject from a post earlier this year...
    EVERYONE is written in from the foundation of the world. I don't see any scripture (please correct me if I am wrong) that says do this that or the other and you get written in to the Book of Life

This is what I think and why I think it is important?

I have heard it preached that one needs to get Saved so that they can have their name written in The Lambs Book. This has always bothered me because I don’t really see any scripture to support this doctrine.

Indeed, people who are saved have their names in the book… but, when was it written in? The only time line that is referenced in scripture is “From the foundation of the world”
    On the contrary there is plenty of scripture written with regards to either being blotted out or not being blotted out and remaining in. but nothing saying do this, that or the other and get written in.

So, with that in mind, my personal doctrine is that every human spirit (which is created in GOD’s image) is written in the Lamb’s book “From the Foundation of the world” even to include a child in the mother’s womb. A person has to reject the LORD in order to be blotted out.

Reject The LORD – Will be Blotted Out
    Believe on The LORD – Will NOT be Blotted out (not written in just sealed until the day of redemption, see Ephesians 4:30)

Why is it important? Major doctrines hinge on this very issue… for Example
    Salvation. If it takes you being born again (Saved) to have your name written in the Book, then that would mean that your Salvation would not be secure.
    Stated differently, you could lose your salvation and be blotted out of the Book of Life

I submit that ALL names are written in The Lambs Book of Life from the beginning and when a person gets born again that ink is sealed until the day of redemption and cannot be blotted out.

(Scripture that references either those who have been blotted out or will not blot out)

Revelation 3:5 - He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Exodus 32:33 - And the LORD said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book.

Psalms 69:28 - Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, and not be written with the righteous.

Exodus 32:33 - And the LORD said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book.

Revelation 13:8 - And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

Revelation 21:27 - And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.

Revelation 20:15 - And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Luke 10:20 - Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.

Revelation 17:8 - The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.

Boolit Master

The Bible uses human terms and ideas to help us relate to God. These ideas are not intended to be taken literally.

God does not actually keep records in a book (or scroll) the way people do. God does not sit on a throne like an earthly king. Along the same lines, God does not have wings and feathers as he has been described in the Bible.

The ideas intended by the examples above are that God keeps track of human activities and knows those who are his. He is the sovereign ruler of the universe. He cares for his people like the best examples of motherhood on earth.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    The Bible uses human terms and ideas to help us relate to God. These ideas are not intended to be taken literally.

God does not actually keep records in a book (or scroll) the way people do. God does not sit on a throne like an earthly king. Along the same lines, God does not have wings and feathers as he has been described in the Bible.

The ideas intended by the examples above are that God keeps track of human activities and knows those who are his. He is the sovereign ruler of the universe. He cares for his people like the best examples of motherhood on earth.
    Those are very definitive and Bold Statements as if they were facts...

Was this a personal revelation from the Lord himself to you or just your opinion on the matter?

Saying that the Bible "was not intended to be taken literally" seems a bit thin without any explanation.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama358 View Post
    Those are very definitive and Bold Statements as if they were facts...

Was this a personal revelation from the Lord himself to you or just your opinion on the matter?

Saying that the Bible "was not intended to be taken literally" seems a bit thin without any explanation.
    Some parts of the Bible are intended to be taken literally. Other parts are not. It is important to learn how to interpret Scripture so we don't get the wrong idea about things.

The original audiences/readers of the sacred writings would never have believed God was actually writing everything down to keep track of things or that he was sitting in a physical chair. Thrones and bookkeeping are human inventions. I don't think the idea that God does not have feathers and wings needs to be explained.

No, this information was not a direct revelation from God to me. It is not only my educated opinion, but the opinion of countless biblical scholars and Christians who understand the various methods used by the writers of the Bible to get truth across to those that need to hear it.

Boolit Master
    There is a lot of honest confusion about the coming "Judgement Day" because it has been so poorly taught. Fact is, our eternal destination will be immediately established at the moment of death to our mortal bodies (John 3:16-17); our sins have been atoned for by Lord Jesus so no further judgement about our salvation is required.

Fact is, the Judgement Seat of Christ (the Bema Seat) will only be held to dispense awards for works done in this life.

Then, the final Judgement Day of the Great White Throne will only be for sentencing the lost, i.e., how hot a seat in hell they will get for evil works in this life.

Beyond that, I feel that the Book of Life itself is likely a very real document but seeking to learn unknowable details about how-when-why our names get into and removed from that Book is, at best, mildly interesting trivia.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    There is a lot of honest confusion about the coming "Judgement Day" because it has been so poorly taught. Fact is, our eternal destination will be immediately established at the moment of death to our mortal bodies (John 3:16-17); our sins have been atoned for by Lord Jesus so no further judgement about our salvation is required.

Fact is, the Judgement Seat of Christ (the Bema Seat) will only be held to dispense awards for works done in this life.

Then, the final Judgement Day of the Great White Throne will only be for sentencing the lost, i.e., how hot a seat in hell they will get for evil works in this life.

Beyond that, I feel that the Book of Life itself is likely a very real document but seeking to learn unknowable details about how-when-why our names get into and removed from that Book is, at best, mildly interesting trivia.
    The Book of life is in both New Testament and Old Testament, I agree with your post.

We all need to draw closer to Jesus, He is the only way we make the Book of Life.

John 14:6
    New King James Version
    6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

Boolit Master
    One thing to note is that the Bible is largely a legal document, a testament, of God's promises to humanity, and how He will deal with humanity and it's actions, both good and bad. As such, there is a need for documentation concerning the reasoning for the sentencing, or lack thereof. It is warned that there will no one with excuse at the final judgement, as all our actions are known. If we do not stand with our Savior, we will have no standing at all!
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

I always get a laugh out of the "Free Will" idea. You are free to choose, but if you don't choose me then I will condemn you to eternal suffering. Sounds more like an abusive relationship to me. It's the kind of thing a narcissist would say to manipulate someone in a relationship. Maybe even the kind of thing people in power would invent to manipulate the populace via hearts and minds.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    Some parts of the Bible are intended to be taken literally. Other parts are not. It is important to learn how to interpret Scripture so we don't get the wrong idea about things.

The original audiences/readers of the sacred writings would never have believed God was actually writing everything down to keep track of things or that he was sitting in a physical chair. Thrones and bookkeeping are human inventions. I don't think the idea that God does not have feathers and wings needs to be explained.

No, this information was not a direct revelation from God to me. It is not only my educated opinion, but the opinion of countless biblical scholars and Christians who understand the various methods used by the writers of the Bible to get truth across to those that need to hear it.
    Religion has a unique ability to shape shift to suit the needs of those who need it to control others. What's rule today is metaphor tomorrow. What was degenerate yesterday is now rainbow flag waving acceptable today. When all else fails, it's "mysterious ways".

Boolit Master
    You know the story of the Prodigal Son.
    Needs to be studied, has a lot of moving pieces.
    Deep story on three levels, but at the end the father welcomes back his son with a feast.
    Would we do any differently if our boy repented and returned? The kid spent half his dad's money...
    The Prodigal Son could have chosen to live with the pigs, but he chose to go home.
    You have the same choice.

"Religion has a unique ability to shape shift..." is how you can tell it's a man made religion.
    God does not change. Truth does not change. Satan's best lie is: "Did God really say...?"
    What you want, and I have found, is a relationship.

Boolit Buddy
    I do not want an abusive relationship. When the story of Noah is considered a great divine plan, I heed the red flags. I do realize this is subjective, as the identities of the perpetrators of genocide make a difference in how much outrage is demonstrated.

Boolit Grand Master
    phantom22, I know what you mean. I came to Jesus late in life. In my younger days, I saw the "inconsistencies" in the bible and decided it was all BS.

The way I have dealt with it is to believe the bible is not 100% the divine inspired word of God. The bible was written by men and there is no assurance all of them were "inspired by God". Then throw in the "errors" in translation and it gets even muddier.

There is much in the bible that is useful in our walk with Christ and to guide our lives. I decided it was foolish to "throw the baby out with the wash water". IMO the "Book of Life" is one of those inconsistencies. Not much about it makes sense...but in the big scheme of things it does not matter.

We are taught God is a loving, vengeful, fair, and to be feared. Lots of mixes messages. It is easy to find scripture that demonstrates that is not always true.

If the bible was as perfect as some believe, we would not need 1200 Christian sects to figure it out. My red flag goes up when anyone says differently. They are either brainwashed or not critical thinkers...but they can still be "good people".

The other conclusion I have come to is God is not perfect. In fact, there is no definitive scripture that tells us He is. I do not need God to be perfect to believe in Him. I will walk with an "imperfect" God rather than run with the devil. It is not difficult to determine Satan is pure evil.
    Don Verna

With Noah and his family, it being five months is a part of the plan. The ark as being representative of the ark of the last days is part of the plan. Jesus saying that at the end it would be as in the days of Noah is part of the plan. Not much there to call subjective or to be outraged about. Perhaps one could be outraged over it being our lot to cast off these meat suits and go home but hey, to decide whether to try throwing rocks at the father is the choice each individual is allowed to make.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast