Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Marlin/Glenfield 60

Marlin/Glenfield 60

Looking for information on the magazine follower/inner magazine tube length for a Glenfield model 60. I am interested to know how far into the receiver the follower is supposed to go? If you have a model 60 can you tell me if the follower, when the magazine tube is empty, goes right up to the lifter? I am guessing the answer is yes but can someone verify? Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    Do you have the regular "rifle" or the carbine version? I believe the two have different length tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by crandall crank View Post
    Do you have the regular "rifle" or the carbine version? I believe the two have different length tubes.
    The gun was a rusty mess given to me that I refinished. No idea the specific model. It has a inner mag in it but have no idea if it is correct. Seems to short as the last round doesn't make it to the lifter. I am not looking for a different mag tube I want to make the one I have work.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    The gun was a rusty mess given to me that I refinished. No idea the specific model. It has a inner mag in it but have no idea if it is correct. Seems to short as the last round doesn't make it to the lifter. I am not looking for a different mag tube I want to make the one I have work.
    Have you tried stretching the spring??
    Does the follower stick out of the tube and touch the stop at the end of the tube?
    just askin',
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master

As I recall, the followers on Model 60's stick back into the receiver maybe 1/2" to 3/4" and angle upward slightly when the gun runs empty.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

I got my wife’s Westpoint Cotter & Company out to see. Its 22” barrel requires a magazine tube length of 20-3/8”. The follower is not visible when the action is open.
    They are wonderful rifles. My wife can Mohawk a mud turtles noggin easily with this old gun.
    Aiming at a 45 cal bullet hole at 40 yards; this is a seventeen shot group. She would have tightened it up a bit..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    Have you tried stretching the spring??
    Does the follower stick out of the tube and touch the stop at the end of the tube?
    just askin',
    There is plenty of spring tension and the follower sticks out of the tube about 1.5 inches. My guess is that the follower needs to enter the receiver far enough to reach the lifter. I am going to try shortening the outside mag tube. Thanks for your input.

The follower goes right to the lifter and is visible in the feed trough when the gun is empty.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Seems like there are several iterations of mag/tube length. 17/13/14 22lr tubes. Mine is 14 with 2 lock notches, IIRC the 13 has one notch. Have you cleaned/oiled the inside of the tubes? Springs don't get a lot shorter when worn. They sag when loaded.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    The follower goes right to the lifter and is visible in the feed trough when the gun is empty.
    This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks bazoo. I will shorten the outside mag tube to the proper length.

Boolit Master
    I have my BIL's Glenfield Model 60 here, it's old enough that it doesn't have a serial #. It has 22 in. barrel and a 20 3/8 inch inner tube. You can't see the follower when empty and open. It will feed the last round, I marked one round and ran it through twice to check.

It is beyond me how this piece of junk still works but it does. It's never cleaned, he don't know how and thrown around like an old shovel. Thinking about it I probably take better care of my shovel. My BIL knows less than nothing about guns and doesn't care, still wants something that will go bang. Glued the stock back together this time.

Boolit Grand Master
    I just checked mine, a stainless model from 1995. The follower is visible when open and empty. kind of hard to see, you need to look closely with a good light. My inner magazine tube is 18" long from the cap, with the follower extending to 19¼".

It isn't really surprising that Marlin used several different lengths of magazines over the fifty-ish years they made the basic Model 60. The surprising part is that you hardly ever hear of a tube magazine spring going bad.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks bazoo. I will shorten the outside mag tube to the proper length.
    Glad I could help.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator