Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st deer with a rifle and cast bullets

Boolit Buddy
    My nephew shot a spike yesterday with same load. Jelloed the lungs and bled everywhere as placed right behind the back leg. Deer went 30 yards and collapsed.

Sorry fellas, I cant agree with the Bullet Failure comments. I was sitting with Nephew and he made a good broadside shot. Entrance hole was caliber size. Exit like a golf ball.

Deer was taken from same stand. First deer was 79 yards. Nephews deer was at 69.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpatoloco View Post
    Bullet stopped after hitting tenderloins between back legs. It penetrated lengthwise to the rump. Speed is what it is because of the superior accuracy.

Nice so there was some kind of wound that far back? I would say plenty of penetration and bullet toughness and I would guess it penetrates as much as anybody's JSP. Definitely not blowing up. I would guess 18" gel just like a deer JSP in any of the bottleneck calibers.

Some of these guys like to hunt deer with dangerous game levels of penetration. They hunt little deer with a bullet that can penetrate 4 or 5 deer in a row broadside, then wonder why it ran 150 yards. I like a middle ground where it expands and exits and the few deer I have shot with super high penetrating loads had small wounds.

The only time I had too much gun was a soft 315 gr at 1700 fps. I shot the deer broadside at about 10 yards with a soft bullet that dumped all energy in 4 jugs with 100% weight retention. The bullet had a small exit wound even though it mushroomed to an inch wide because it probably barely exited at like 300 fps. Both shoulders were completely bloodshot and the first half of the backstraps were completely bloodshot, even though I made a nice shot through the ribs. The next bullets got hardened up a little bit and they go the same speed, but now penetrate 6 jugs and don't ruin a deer.
    Last edited by mnewcomb59; 12-28-2023 at 02:15 PM.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like it's working similar to the old standby Nosler Partition where the nose blows up fast doing lots of damage while the base continues to penetrate. Hard to argue that won't work for deer. Although if it were me I would give up some accuracy to get it up around 2,000 ft/sec as long as the accuracy was still minute-of-deer for the longest range I expected to make a shot but that's purely a matter of personal preference.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpatoloco View Post
    My nephew shot a spike yesterday with same load. Jelloed the lungs and bled everywhere as placed right behind the back leg. Deer went 30 yards and collapsed.

Sorry fellas, I cant agree with the Bullet Failure comments. I was sitting with Nephew and he made a good broadside shot. Entrance hole was caliber size. Exit like a golf ball.

Deer was taken from same stand. First deer was 79 yards. Nephews deer was at 69.

I agree, you’re eating deer, yes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post
    I agree, you’re eating deer, yes?

Yes sir. Just put last batch of Jerky on the smoker!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    That cast boolit worked great imo. It dropped both deer fast. I’ve shot deer with slow hard cast several times. No expansion, no blood trail, and 100 yard plus tracking jobs. I don’t live in Wyoming where I could shoot and watch the animal run in open for 100’s of yards till it lays down and finally dies. I don’t own open land and not enough acreage to shoot deer and let them run off hoping they don’t get onto the neighbors property before dropping. I need a quick expanding, energy dumping alloy to drop them in their tracks. Imo there’s nothing more rewarding than watching an animal drop in its tracks. Our state gives us 6 doe tags with our buck tags every year. Then you can buy more tags on top of it. If I loose a pound or two of meat and watch my deer drop I’ll take it every time over a pencil hole in and out with no energy transfer or blood trail along with extremely hard tracking because I have to guess where the deer went. Haven’t lost a deer yet with cast boolits but left a few over night because there was no blood to follow both deer were eaten by coyotes between the last five minutes
    of legal shooting light and when the sun was just cracking over the horizon the next morning.

I run probably the same mold we bought here as a group buy. I run it 10.5 bh at 2100 fps. Blows through deer and drop them on the spot. What alloy are you using?

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...n-HP-group-buy!

Wonder if that is same boolit as our group buy? I use the deep round HP pin in mine. I’m guessing if you ran a hair harder alloy or ran it a couple hundred fps faster if you’d get an exit. Or you could try the round HP pin vs the penta. I just liked the round deep hp pin looks so I casted a bunch up and never looked back. I’ve driven both 7.5 bh and 10.5 BH in the same boolit with excellent accuracy at 2100 fps. I hunt with the 10.5 bh becuase it groups tighter as you can see in my avatar. The 7.5 bh shot about an inch at 2100 fps.

This is our .358 200 grain HP group buy boolit I casted up…

Go home from Christmas Thursday afternoon. We have a holiday hunt through tomorrow for doe only. Wanted to test out a 7.5 bh .430, 265 grain HP at 1600 on a deer but I’m sick. compressed head, soar throat and ears, nose running non stop and spitting up phlegm. I’d still go hunting but I’m coughing non stop so I’d spook everything in the woods. Tomorrow is the last day. Hope I at least quit coughing so I get out a day and score some future jerky.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-31-2023 at 01:29 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    That cast boolit worked great imo. It dropped both deer fast. I’ve shot deer with slow hard cast several times. No expansion, no blood trail, and 100 yard plus tracking jobs. I don’t live in Wyoming where I could shoot and watch the animal run in open for 100’s of yards till it lays down and finally dies. I don’t own open land and not enough acreage to shoot deer and let them run off hoping they don’t get onto the neighbors property before dropping. I need a quick expanding, energy dumping alloy to drop them in their tracks. Imo there’s nothing more rewarding than watching an animal drop in its tracks. Our state gives us 6 doe tags with our buck tags every year. Then you can buy more tags on top of it. If I loose a pound or two of meat and watch my deer drop I’ll take it every time over a pencil hole in and out with no energy transfer or blood trail along with extremely hard tracking because I have to guess where the deer went. Haven’t lost a deer yet with cast boolits but left a few over night because there was no blood to follow both deer were eaten by coyotes between the last five minutes
    of legal shooting light and when the sun was just cracking over the horizon the next morning.

I run probably the same mold we bought here as a group buy. I run it 10.5 bh at 2100 fps. Blows through deer and drop them on the spot. What alloy are you using?

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...n-HP-group-buy!

Wonder if that is same boolit as our group buy? I use the deep round HP pin in mine. I’m guessing if you ran a hair harder alloy or ran it a couple hundred fps faster if you’d get an exit. Or you could try the round HP pin vs the penta. I just liked the round deep hp pin looks so I casted a bunch up and never looked back. I’ve driven both 7.5 bh and 10.5 BH in the same boolit with excellent accuracy at 2100 fps. I hunt with the 10.5 bh becuase it groups tighter as you can see in my avatar. The 7.5 bh shot about an inch at 2100 fps.

This is our .358 200 grain HP group buy boolit I casted up…

Go home from Christmas Thursday afternoon. We have a holiday hunt through tomorrow for doe only. Wanted to test out a 7.5 bh .430, 265 grain HP at 1600 on a deer but I’m sick. compressed head, soar throat and ears, nose running non stop and spitting up phlegm. I’d still go hunting but I’m coughing non stop so I’d spook everything in the woods. Tomorrow is the last day. Hope I at least quit coughing so I get out a day and score some future jerky.
    Bullet looks exact. Mine is the MP 358-200 with the Large Penta pin installed. Coated and Checked, its 203gr with my alloy which is range scrap. No idea on hardness. I quit using my wheel weights when I started powder coating. Not sure I will ever use up my supply.

I am seating deeper than the crimp grove up near the edge of the top driving band. Have to taper crimp the 350 pretty tight for best results in my load. Neither of my guns have any throat, so they have to seat like that or jam the lands. I may run the next batch hotter, But I dont see the need. I punched this sow too low in the dome tonight. Bullet dropped her where she stood.

And I'm with you on trying to track deer with no blood trail through chest deep briars. It's not fun.

This is the best performing Cast slug on game other than my WNFP in the 475 Linebaugh, that Ive ever used. Ive not had anything take a step after being hit with it. I run it slow by Linebaugh or even 480 Ruger standards. The older I get, the more I dont see the need for all the speed.

I will be searching up a HP mould for the 44's next. Will be hoping MP has something in stock. Rarely does a deer not run when I pop them with the 44, the reason I went to 475.

Boolit Master
    I used an MP 432-640 hollow point recently on a little buck. Worked great in my 44 mag NEF rifle.

My guess is MP put that special run into production after our group buy. I just sent some out to a member here in 2 different alloys in the large round HP. Before PC and GC the 7.5 bh and 10.5 bh were on average 197 and 198 grain if I remember. I sort and cull in 1 grain increments. Sized at.3595” neither lead at 2100 fps with excellent accuracy. Never tried the softer alloy on deer but the 10.5 BH blows right through them…so far to date. I have some Lyman devastator’s loaded up at 1600fps with 7.5 BH in my 77/44. Shoots sub MOA at 100 yards. If I can stop coughing and nose stop running I might get out today for last day of our holiday hunt to see if they will drop a deer in its tracks. Hard 15.2 BH alloy won’t expand at 1750fps on thin skinned deer and acts like a FMJ. Hoping the 7.5. 40/1 knocks the snot out of them. The gun recoils like a 22WMR. I’m with you on the the .358 HP. It drops deer faster than ANY j word I’ve tried out of my 35 Remington. The 180 grain speer hot core driven a few hundred fps faster is a close second but doesn’t give the instant shock my 10.5 BH HP does at 2100 fps.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-01-2024 at 12:12 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    My guess is MP put that special run into production after our group buy. I just sent some out to a member here in 2 different alloys in the large round HP. Before PC and GC the 7.5 bh and 10.5 bh were on average 197 and 198 grain if I remember. I sort and cull in 1 grain increments. Sized at.3595” neither lead at 2100 fps with excellent accuracy. Never tried the softer alloy on deer but the 10.5 BH blows right through them…so far to date. I have some Lyman devastator’s loaded up at 1600fps with 7.5 BH in my 77/44. Shoots sub MOA at 100 yards. If I can stop coughing and nose stop running I might get out today for last day of our holiday hunt to see if they will drop a deer in its tracks. Hard 15.2 BH alloy won’t expand at 1750fps on thin skinned deer and acts like a FMJ. Hoping the 7.5. 40/1 knocks the snot out of them. The gun recoils like a 22WMR. I’m with you on the the .358 HP. It drops deer faster than ANY j word I’ve tried out of my 35 Remington. The 180 grain speer hot core driven a few hundred fps faster is a close second but doesn’t give the instant shock my 10.5 BH HP does at 2100 fps.
    I am squeezing these down all the way to .356 for the little Legend rounds. I have been suprised at every turn with every facet of these little guns. From cutting one hole groups to the performance.

This was my first foray into Hollow Point cast. To say that I am pleased with the slug is an understatement.

Pictured is the 5 shot group from sighting the Ruger bolt gun in at 50 yards. 1st shot went a bit high. Maybe cold bore, maybe I jerked it. Point of aim was bottom of tape line.

Yep, I was going to call it quits using cast boolits for deer hunting until I tried these. Best cast boolit and caliber on the planet for deer at 2100 fps imo. Imo the 35 Rem caliber is about perfect for cast. You can use any factory j word book load with them. No drama of looking for speciality powders and load data for it. After shooting deer with cast 44 mag rifles and muzzle loaders over the decades up to 1900 fps they all ran after the shot like they weren’t hit unless I connected with backbone. When I climbed to 2100 fps with the 35 rem it made all the difference in the world for consistently dropping deer in their tracks. My buddies say the same with 450 BM jwords at 2200 fps. Once you get to 2100/2200 fps it transfers enough energy for quicker kill. For me it Seems like anything slower they always run after the shot 60 to a 100 yards. There’s always going to be tough deer or poor shot placement that will teeter the average persons thinking along with mine. But imo that’s the magic velocity for deer with cast as long as you are using the correct alloy that will expand and dump energy.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-01-2024 at 02:24 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Yep, I was going to call it quits using cast boolits for deer hunting until I tried these. Best cast boolit and caliber on the planet for deer at 2100 fps imo. Imo the 35 Rem caliber is about perfect for cast. You can use any factory j word book load with them. No drama of looking for speciality powders and load data for it.
    That sounds like a fine cartridge. I'm in Texas, so ANY centerfire is legal. A fella could use a 25 Acp legally.

I chose the 350 for hog duty out of an AR platform. Once I started shooting the gun, I realized there was literally no recoil. My wife is recoil Intolerant. I got her a bolt gun for deer and my grandson another. Ruger makes a dandy bolt that is silly short. Youth ranch model. I put a slip-on recoil pad on the Wife's to bring length of pull back up to normal. It's a stubby afair, but it is a nice compact package.

Factory fodder has gone to $38 a box in these parts for hunting ammo. It was DIRT cheap 2 years ago. I likely go through 3 to 5 hundred rounds a year just on hogs. The good folkes here pointed me to that mold. I couldn't be happier.

I’d get mystery fliers like that until I started crimping with the lee collet factory crimp die. The fliers have all now disappeared…unless I flinch.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-01-2024 at 02:46 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Update. Down here in Texas where it is hot many of us keep the meet in a cooler for 5 to 10 days with the drain open and keep putting ice on the meat. This is exactly what my buddy did. He deboned deer this morning and found the slug!!!!

Slug was inside the tenderloin. The 3 HP petals were in the meat next to the Bullet! Hard to argue Bullet Failure with this one! I will weigh slug later in the week when he gives it to me.

Nice big mushroom! I like broken pedals for multiple wound cavity channels for a quick, humane death.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice big mushroom! I like broken pedals for multiple wound cavity channels for a quick, humane death.
    Yeah, I'm pretty happy with it. Deer was big bodied for these parts. I figure the slug plowed through about 30 inches of meat and guts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20240101_193335_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	321640

I only take broadside shots so they end up exiting every time.

Boolit Buddy
    I only take broadside shots so they end up exiting every time.
    I am the same way.

Broadside at the high shoulder/spine area gives about a 5” “bullseye” and will drop deer and pigs where they stand… in their own shadow… DRT every time. I’ve always had total pass through with 30/30, 35Rem,and 45/70. Alloy is relatively soft, heat treated HARD, gas checked, lubed with whatever is in the sizer/lube machine, and usually aged by circumstance.
    Little poor quality meat is lost; All best cuts and chili meat is preserved .
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12