Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12ga Slug Brinell Harness for Different Velocities?

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    My Lee 1 oz. slugs cast at 0.685" from wheel weights, the 7/8 oz. cast at about 0.682". This is at the nose. The bottom of the skirt is more like 0.665" IIRC but definittely small and more taper than any wads I have.

I have not even cast any Lee slugs from pure lead, just range scrap and wheel weights. I make sure I have a good fit to bore by selecting the wads and/or paper patching. My Lee 1 oz. mould was good from the factory with no sticking slugs at all. The 7/8 oz. was not! Slugs stuck badly to the core pin but that was due to some burrs along the drive key slot. A careful work over with fine silicone carbide paper removed the burrs and now slugs drop off the core pin no problem.

Longbow
    I have read that about the 7/8oz LKD slug more than once, so thanks again for the information and refresher.
    I have some work to do on that mold........

Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    The wad i used was discontinued, i think?

Gun- Mossberg 500 cantilever rifled , scope on 7 power. Lee load data used.Powder HS-6 36gr. Win AA 2 3/4" Win 209 primer. Win. Wad 12f114 No wad pressure when seating. Slug 1 OZ weight 423gr

From 2009. When i tested.
    I appreciate the load data, 243winxb! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    just measured my Lee 1oz. cast with pure plumbers lead - all measured .668 as cast -i found the 1oz. more accurate than the 7/8oz. in all my 12ga. guns - wad choice made a big difference in accuracy -
    schutzen-jager, from my research you're one of the few to have better accuracy with the 1oz vs the 7/8oz.
    Glad you got it squared away.

What wad are you using for the 1oz LKD slug?

500 piece bag that was purchased decades ago from the original Gander Mountain - bag states PC 12guage win length, made by triple g Plastics Inc., Gamaleel, KY. - do not know if still in business -i use them in Win AA hulls w/38.5 grs. of AA #5 with the 1oz. Lee slugs - i gave up trying good combination w/ the 7/8oz. lee slugs - the load performs great in savage 311 one 30" m+f, one 28" m+f - Ithaca DSPS 20" cyl - H+R single full - vintage Browning A5 28" full -
    Last edited by schutzen-jager; 12-27-2023 at 05:40 PM.
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    500 piece bag that was purchased decades ago from the original Gander Mountain - bag states PC 12guage win length, made by triple g Plastics Inc., Gamaleel, KY. - do not know if still in business -i use them in Win AA hulls w/38.5 grs. of AA #5 with the 1oz. Lee slugs - i gave up trying good combination w/ the 7/8oz. lee slugs - the load performs great in savage 322's one 30" m+f, one 28" m+f - Ithaca DSPS 20" cyl - H+R single full - vintage Browning A% 28" full -
    I appreciate the info and your reply

Boolit Master
    I gave up on the Lee slugs after using an MP mold for the Lyman sabot slugs. More accurate and easier to cast a bunch of slugs. I use range berm scrap for all slugs , buckshot and round ball. I don't water drop the slugs, or large round ball, but all the buckshot and the .600" balls for Tri-ball benefit from the brinell boost.

Quote Originally Posted by pipehand View Post
    I gave up on the Lee slugs after using an MP mold for the Lyman sabot slugs. More accurate and easier to cast a bunch of slugs. I use range berm scrap for all slugs , buckshot and round ball. I don't water drop the slugs, or large round ball, but all the buckshot and the .600" balls for Tri-ball benefit from the brinell boost.
    Thanks for the input!

I've been looking at the MP sabot mold too.

Quote Originally Posted by More_Slugs View Post
    So a Brinell of roughly 13 has been good. Thanks, Randy! What wads are you using for the Lyman?
    My Lyman Slug Mould is from MP Moulds, They make really good stuff. I use the "Claybuster Blue Slug Wads from BPI with a 1/16" Card under the Slug" In Winchester AA hulls with 18 gr of Green Dot Powder, Fold Crimp. Slug Base filled with Hot Glue. See Target in Post #3, 3 shots thru same hole at 25 yards.(too foggy to shoot farther that day.) From my Mossberg 500 with Rifled Choke Tube.

Anxious to see how these loads perform from my latest creation the "Auto-Berg?" which has a fully Rifled Barrel (Mossberg 500 sold thru Western Auto Stores in the 60's.)

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2499.jpg  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-28-2023 at 04:47 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    My Lyman Slug Mould is from MP Moulds, They make really good stuff. I use the "Claybuster Blue Slug Wads from BPI with a 1/16" Card under the Slug" In Winchester AA hulls with 18 gr of Green Dot Powder, Fold Crimp. Slug Base filled with Hot Glue. See Target in Post #3, 3 shots thru same hole at 25 yards.(too foggy to shoot farther that day.) From my Mossberg 500 with Rifled Choke Tube.

Anxious to see how these loads perform from my latest creation the "Auto-Berg?" which has a fully Rifled Barrel (Mossberg 500 sold thru Western Auto Stores in the 60's.)

Randy
    The good 'ol blue CB SW250 wads.
    Thanks for that load data and info!
    Hope the 'Berg' works out for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12