Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Trapdoor oddball

Boolit Mold

Trapdoor oddball

A buddy of mine ran across this rusty attic queen and is gifting it to me. Check out the octagon barrel and tang sight. Modern day bubba gun or 19th century bubba buffalo gun?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3757.jpg   IMG_3752.jpg   IMG_3754.jpg   IMG_3751.jpg   IMG_3750.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Interesting; cleaned up could be fun.......

Looks like the parts have been together for quite a while. Interesting for sure. I would try fine steel wool with oil on the metal. bet it cleans up and looks decent without much more.

Boolit Master

I love it ! Check the threads on the tang sight. If there are metric, it is most likely a modern. Otherwise see if it has any markings on is, as maybe who made it. Is it a true vernier scale? Some of the cheapos were not. How is the bore? 45-70? 45-90? 50 cal? what is the serial number range? '73 action or previous? Inspectors marks? The rust and neglect looks real enough.
    ramrod?

cool find

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    I love it ! Check the threads on the tang sight. If there are metric, it is most likely a modern. Otherwise see if it has any markings on is, as maybe who made it. Is it a true vernier scale? Some of the cheapos were not. How is the bore? 45-70? 45-90? 50 cal? what is the serial number range? '73 action or previous? Inspectors marks? The rust and neglect looks real enough.
    ramrod?

cool find
    Well it’s in Florida at the moment and I’m in Virginia. He is gonna get it shipped to me. I’ll clean it up and see what is hidden under all that rust. I’ll update when I get it cleaned. Thanks for the replies.

Boolit Master

For me at least, it would be well worth some elbow grease and tender care. I would not go near it with sandpaper, use some rust remover like "evaporust" or something similar. james

Boolit Master
    It looks like the tang has been lengthened, and no screw, most likely under the sight base. The screws holding the base appear to be modern style plated stove bolts. Would look good with an under rib and a wiping stick with iron ferrules, and a pewter nose cap. Should make for a fun winter project.

Definitely a great winter project. I would start with #0000 steel wool and Kroil.

Boolit Buddy

Good find! Scrub the bore! If it cleans up; go bust Bambi with it! Cut a dovetail just forward of the forearm and add a sling loop. Screw a sling swivel into the rear of the buttstock. Find a leather sling for it. So many of our Krags, Springfields, and 98 Mausers were sporterized to take into the woods to shoot deer. Why not an 1873 Trapdoor!

Boolit Buddy
    Can't tell anything about the barrel but the tang has been extended and the tang screw left out that screws into the trigger plate. The tang sight is one of the cheap Italian repro sights that were available 30 or so years ago. It may be a mix of old and new parts.

Probably made in the past few decades for BPCR shooting events.

Boolit Buddy
    The tang sight is Italian, made during the late 70's-early 80's. Need better views of the barrel and maybe remove action from the stock to see if there are any marks on the underside of the barrel. Could easily have been put together 30 years ago and then lived in a barn for a bunch of years.
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

Boolit Grand Master
    just a thought; would a .38 s&w conversion work? components are everywhere.

Boolit Master
    Gee I hope the bore is still sound. What a hoot to clean up and shoot!