Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: need to identify a coating

Boolit Buddy

need to identify a coating

I mined and cleaned up 75 lbs of clean lead from the range today with my wife. This is a public range and have never seen a reloader there but I found lavender colored 9mm bullets , about 124 grain with no spur plate marks and soft lead. The weird thing is when I was melting them down they caught on fire and had a small blue flame with an odd smell. Definitely not hitek or pc i have ever used. I am thinking they are federal syntek bullets. Does anybody know what coating they use because it was well done and durable and took the rifling well. Any ideas?

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

Federal used to use a Nylon coating to reduce Lead fumes while shooting indoors.

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_kaleigh View Post
    I mined and cleaned up 75 lbs of clean lead from the range today with my wife. This is a public range and have never seen a reloader there but I found lavender colored 9mm bullets , about 124 grain with no spur plate marks and soft lead. The weird thing is when I was melting them down they caught on fire and had a small blue flame with an odd smell. Definitely not hitek or pc i have ever used. I am thinking they are federal syntek bullets. Does anybody know what coating they use because it was well done and durable and took the rifling well. Any ideas?
    MY guess would be Federal syntek bullets, the color could have changed from weathering, when I melt them they stink.

I haven't had the opportunity to melt any down to experience the smell,...but Bullet Corp out of South Africa has a competitor coating to Hi-Tek with a greater variety of colors available, and they indeed have purple. Far less common here than the Hi-Tek, but they do exist. I'm planning on getting some sample packs from them myself and giving it a try at some point. https://sscastsupplies.com/shop/ols/categories/coating
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

Boolit Buddy
    Atfsux, I am going to have to try that coating out, just realized they have a distributor in USA, and it is 100 miles from my house. I am always up to try different stuff out, I use hytek for 300 blk with ww, my chamber is tight and the coating needs to be thin. And powder coat for range scrap 9mm bullets.