MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deal on Digital Micrometer

Boolit Mold
    Reguarding HF tools, I've been buying them for sometime and as with the old saying you get what you pay for> I feel that I've always done alittle better than that with them. For the price if you use the bigger ones for a major repair then you've saved a lot of money. A lot of them have surprised me how they actually hold up.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

Hf

I retired as a machinist and have the Starrett and brown & sharp and fowler and on.they are good tools.but I dont think they are any better than the HF.we payed
    $150 fo mitymoya? digital vernier so I know them.I think the HF is as good.as to the american comp going out of business.if they do its more because things change than any thing else.how many american machines are there most are japanese.and now chinese.look at south bend.I loved my 12 " had collet closer and a turret tail stock.sold it like a fool to a guy that shafted me.
    look at that little cut off saw I posted who makes one in this country.its not use thats killing the country by buying chinese its out liberals that put all the regulations on industry.thats driving them out.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Grand Master

The InSize Digital Thickness Gage arrived today from Sinclair.

I checked its accuracy with the 1/2 inch standard I have and its .0015" off at .500" (reads .4985"). That would never work well trying to size a boolit to a bore or revolver cylinder throat. It "appears"to be pretty close down at .009" to .012" on the brass I checked but I haven't anything to test its accuracy with in this range, only at 1/2 inch.

Hhmmm, just occured to me, feeler gauges. I'll see how that works tomorrow. I'll also contact Sinclair and see if this normal for this mic and/or if its covered under the warranty.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    I like Mititoyo digital calipers, I have been using them since they first came out in the 80's. They are a rock solid tool.

But for micrometers I prefer a mechanical system.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Grand Master

I've had the Mitutoyo digital calipers and digital micrometer since the 80's also. The mic is smash on at .500", right to the last zero at 50 millionth of an inch . . . absolutely amazing. The digital is far easier to read and much faster to use.

Because of this thread I looked around once again and found that Mitutoyo does now offer a digital tubing mic but holy measuring devices Bat Man . . . $300.00, it even plugs into the computer and charts graphs. I just need to know if the brass is the same thickness on both sides and if the loaded NK diameter will fit into a tight match chamber. Don't need no stinkin graphs on the puter!

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Mold
    U R a bad influence.....when I saw this thread last night, I stopped what I was doing and ordered one.

I have a mechanical micrometer, but think that this will be easier to read with my now middle aged eyes.

Thanks for posting the price & link.

Boolit Man
    Rick, did you ever get around to checking this with your feeler gauges? Still waiting on your evaluation of this before i order one. And what did Sinclair say when you told them it was off on your 1/2" standard?

Thanks,

Ken

Moderator Emeritus
    Grafs has this at a better price than Sinclair... Here's the link.

John

Boolit Grand Master

Ken, I did check it with two different sets of feeler gauges (cause I don't know the real accuracy of a feeler gauge) and with both it was off .0005" at .009" to .013". It seems that the wider its opened the more its off. Yes, of coarse I zeroed it before each test.

Haven't contacted Sinclair yet, I'll try to get an email off to them today.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Man
    Rick,
    I don't want to beat a dead horse hear, but I'm not sure what to do with the results you've posted. I would be measuring the case neck thickness to determine concentricity, and what bushing to order for my redding dies (sorry i know that's a sore subject with you). But I didn't want to order the $200 sinclair digital neck gauge either.

Do you think this would be accurate enough for case neck thickness? I just saw the new RCBS neck turning device is supposed to have a micormeter on it. I'm debating on it, since my sinclair model is adjusted without one, I'm trying to decide if a move is necessary. Sinclair stuff is good, but pricey, and the RCBS looks easier to adjust.

Thanks for your help,

Ken

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken 45LC View Post
    Rick,
    I don't want to beat a dead horse hear, but I'm not sure what to do with the results you've posted. I would be measuring the case neck thickness to determine concentricity, and what bushing to order for my redding dies (sorry i know that's a sore subject with you). But I didn't want to order the $200 sinclair digital neck gauge either. Actually if your turning necks you can just use a neck turner mandrel that is a slip fit instead of the gage pin.

Do you think this would be accurate enough for case neck thickness? I just saw the new RCBS neck turning device is supposed to have a micormeter on it. I'm debating on it, since my sinclair model is adjusted without one, I'm trying to decide if a move is necessary. Sinclair stuff is good, but pricey, and the RCBS looks easier to adjust.

Thanks for your help,

Ken
    If you already have a 0-1 micrometer you can use gage pins and the mike to measure neck thickness. I actually prefer that method, simply slip a gauge pin in that is a slip fit, a few .001 under is ok too, then run the mic down until it press's the neck against the pin, then subract the pin dia and divide by 2.

There is a micrometer called a "uni-mike" that can be used as a tubing mike.
    http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...ters_Mitutoyo_
    not cheap either but there may be an import copy, or you might find one on the vil auction site....you can put any kind of anvil in it that pleases you, round or flat.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Man
    Bill,
    Thanks for that photo of the Mitutoyo, it got me thinking. I just looked at my Lyman tube mic and the Cen tech and i think another trip to Harbor Freight is in order. I think i can cut the end off the Cen tech and drill a hole to epoxy in a rod to turn it into a tube mic. At the worst I'm out $30.00, but with some careful drilling I think it may work. I'll just make sure that if anything i set the new anvil where i can file a little off to get it to zero properly.

This isn't real high on my priority list at the moment, but i'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks,

Ken

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12