MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Lee 452-300 RF

Boolit Buddy

Lee 452-300 RF

Hi all, been awhile since I posted last been busy with other stuff. Nonetheless I mentioned last year about using this boolet in my inline ML. Got a chance to test it this morning and I'm satisfied with results. I used 60 gr of BH209, my intention was to keep velocities at 1400 fps or less and my three shot string was 1360, 1318 and 1340. with 1 1/4" group at 50 yds. Since this is a pistol boolet with that wide flat nose accuracy suffers at higher velocities like I found out last year. Boolets were sized to .452 and I used Harvester black CR sabots dry patch between shots, these give a good tight seal with good resistance when loading. Gun is the Traditions Vortek ultralight with the accelerator breech plug. Hope I get a chance for a fur test in a couple weeks.. Merry Christmas all!
    Retired: school of hard knocks
    NRA Lifer

Interesting experiment, thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas to you as well!
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master

Not that I have a 45 cal front stuffer, but since most molds are designed to be used with a #2 alloy, could you take that particular mold, cast it out of pure lead, and have it shrink up enough to lube it real well with Crisco or bear grease and get it down the bore of a 45 cal Rifle? If it shrank to .447 or .448 that would be ideal, it should load fairly easy and obturate well being made out of pure lead. The question then becomes, is a 1:48 fast enough to stabilize it? Probably not, but I bet the 255 gr RNFP for the 45 LC would, it is short and stubby. Thoughts?
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Boerrancher View Post
    Not that I have a 45 cal front stuffer, but since most molds are designed to be used with a #2 alloy, could you take that particular mold, cast it out of pure lead, and have it shrink up enough to lube it real well with Crisco or bear grease and get it down the bore of a 45 cal Rifle? If it shrank to .447 or .448 that would be ideal, it should load fairly easy and obturate well being made out of pure lead. The question then becomes, is a 1:48 fast enough to stabilize it? Probably not, but I bet the 255 gr RNFP for the 45 LC would, it is short and stubby. Thoughts?
    Bullet was designed for use with a gas check, you would have too much gas blow-by. One reason it fits well in a sabot.
    Retired: school of hard knocks
    NRA Lifer