RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite 44Mag projectile?

Boolit Mold

Favorite 44Mag projectile?

New to 44Mag and looking for a good projectile for hunting Whitetail and just general shooting.

Shooting through a Winchester 94AE. I'll be measuring twist today.

Saw the WNFGC mentioned in other places, I don't cast so, where should I be looking to find some to get started with?

Any bullet that you all recommended over that style?

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I'm no lever action compatibility guru, but your .44 Mag bullets will generally fall into two categories:

1. Those with a roll crimp groove set to put the overall cartridge length at or near the 1.61" SAAMI spec

(Which is kind of weird because Lyman violates that in their own manual with a couple of 1.645" options in their rifle section for the .44 Mag, and one at 1.59" in their handgun section)

2. Those with crimp groove and nose profile designed to fit specifically within the length and chamber throat confines of a specific revolver cylinder (Redhawk, Blackhawk, Smith 29, etc...)

The revolver ammo needs only to plunk into the chamber. The carbines are more complex.

Others will chime in on what their lever actions can actually handle with regards to feeding up an angled ramp, but it's a safe bet that the manufacturers were working more with SAAMI cartridge geometry in mind.

Round nose flat point with meplats of about .30"-.32" with nose-forward-of-crimp lengths of about .325" to fit inside of SAAMI's box would be my gut instinct. Using .44 Special brass would let you play with roughly an eighth inch of extra bullet nose.

Fortunately, deer are not armor plated, and 240-250 grain .44 bullets have proved sufficient for critters larger than that.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

My favorite 44 Mag bullet is the Accurate 43-240K, hands down. Go to the URL below, click CATALOG, and then click page 16. It's about halfway down.

https://accuratemolds.com/

Boolit Grand Master

In revolvers I favor a Keith Type SWC but these probably will not ford well in a lever action. For those I use a partly round nose flat point RCBS mold. I think its 210 grain, maybe 220.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the Keith 429421 in my Marlin but my favorite is the MP molds 434. It has multiple pins for the same mold that make a flat point, small hp, or BIG hp depending on which pin you use. Cast them softish, PC, size at 432 and enjoy the power.

Boolit Master

Another vote for the tried and true 429421.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Lyman 429244, 250gr. GC SWC, especially for a lever action. The nose on 429421 can be too long for some lever guns.

Boolit Master

I love my Keith bullets for my revolvers, but they do not cycle through my 94 Win. For my 1969 vintage 94 Win. with it's fairly shallow 10 groove bore I have great accuracy and deer killing results with the Lyman 429215gc. sized around .431-.432 dia. I do not over harden them, but they are at least 12-13 BHN I think, if I remember correctly, and they work well without any issues. Clip on weights would work well with this gas check bullet.

I have settled on WC-842/AA-#9 powder, but H-110/296 or similar ball would be good and I reach about 1,900 fps. with this bullet. It drops closer to 220 gr. with my alloy than the 215gr. weight designated from Lyman's #2 alloy.

I am not familiar with the bore of the newer Win. rifles, but my bore is happier with bullets larger than .430 dia., like most of the Marlins. It never really done great with jacketed bullets, that mostly measure .429 dia.

As for twist rate, I believe my older Win. 94 has the slower 1:38 twist, so it prefers the shorter bullet like the Lyman 429215gc. at a fast velocity. I think many of the Marlins had that same slow twist. Some of the newer rifles used faster twists and they would likely shoot the longer and heavier bullets just fine.
    Last edited by HamGunner; 12-24-2023 at 07:01 PM.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

I really like the Ranch Dog CTL432-265-RF in my Winchester 92 44 Magnum.

Last edited by Bazoo; 12-28-2023 at 12:39 AM.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Grand Master
    Ranch Dog, Lee 310, or 429421. I like 'em all. I probably shoot more Lee 310's and have used it more for hunting than the others. I works wicked good.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks everyone so far. It had the micro groove rifling of that matters on bullet selection.

Boolit Mold
    So I've feel down the rabbit hole of looking at the ranchdog designs and the NOE version of it. Not yet ready to start casting, anywhere that sells those in a ready to go bullet?

Boolit Master
    Favorite? Hmmm, I’d have to say, the one’s I have molded. I load them with the perfect powder, the one I can get ahold of. Did I happen to mention that I'm very picky about primers. ( yea, right )
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Boolit Master
    Revolvers: The RCBS 250K for all around shooting

My brother owns a Henry lever in 44 mag so I will likely get a taste of what cycles and works best there but until then I do not have any experience there.

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 12-24-2023 at 09:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Ackward View Post
    Favorite? Hmmm, I’d have to say, the one’s I have molded. I load them with the perfect powder, the one I can get ahold of. Did I happen to mention that I'm very picky about primers. ( yea, right )
    I hear ya... I can dream. Hahaha

BTW, welcome to cb.gl forum drew23!

I've not used them, since I rarely purchase bullets, but I'd give these a go if I was looking to purchase cast bullets. Not exactly a WFN, but it'd be a good start down the 44 cast bullet road.

https://www.mattsbullets.com/255-Gra...430_p_184.html
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Buddy
    RCBS 44-250K followed by the Lyman 429421 for me. Just casted some earlier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20231224_182354547~2.jpg  
    Last edited by THE_ANTIDOTE; 12-24-2023 at 10:46 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by drew23 View Post
    Thanks everyone so far. It had the micro groove rifling of that matters on bullet selection.
    In that case, whatever you end up with that will feed well, it needs to be a fat bullet of at least .431 and .432 would be even better.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by drew23 View Post
    So I've feel down the rabbit hole of looking at the ranchdog designs and the NOE version of it. Not yet ready to start casting, anywhere that sells those in a ready to go bullet?
    Check out the selection at Montana Bullet Works.

https://www.montanabulletworks.com/

Boolit Master
    i've had very good results over the years with pretty much any 200 - 220gr boolit going 1000 - 1200 fps. My favorite for accuracy is the Lyman 429215 cast at 8-10 BHN. Commercial cast 200gr SWC's or RNFP's have served well when I couldn't cast my own. With carbines, an RNFP may be more appropriate due to feed issues, but the mentioned weight/velocity range will bring down whitetails reliably. I don't recall ever failing to get an exit wound.
    Last edited by yeahbub; 12-31-2023 at 09:52 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast