Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garmin chronograph

Garmin chronograph

Has anyone had experience with one of these? I plan on upgrading and was going with the LABRADAR until I read about the Garmin.

rmcc
    fools rush in where angels fear to tread...Alexander Pope

Moderator Emeritus

rmcc -- I am a definite 101% Garmin fan/user: I have two Impulse II (one is solar) GPS wrist-watches; a Garmin GPS both in my truck and in my tractor; their Oregon hand-held; Foretec; and a couple other of their fine products. Not tech-smart at all, I have needed ring their customer support which I'll freely rate as a "12" on the 10-scale. "Awesome" might be an understatement vis my experiences!!!
    That said, I have a PACT chrony which required "zero" on a learning curve to use. And, a Oehler 035P which required a teeny bit of a curve. Primarily to "deal" with my bum leg set-up challenges, I bought a LabRadar which I only needed read up once vis using an air rifle.
    I know Garmin has their awesome customer support as I've needed ring them a good many times -- all, again, with 101% happiness and success! I'd suggest you check out their web-site on this chrony, to see if it is as "useless" (to me) as the others...
    Of the three chronies I have, I'd hesitate not in buying same products again if needed. Or parts -- e.g., I shot my PACT not once but twice !. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	garmin chrony.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	321336
    However, I am 100% that the Garmin is a truly great product!!! -- BUT -- unless you are a real tech-type person... I'd, again, check out their web-site vis instructions, set-up, and use before I committed to it.
    Again -- I opened the LabRadar box at range, hung on battery, and shot away with 100% success...
    geo

I have used Garmin's customer service and was quite happy with it.
    I cannot comment on how well their chronograph works, but that will soon change as I know I am receiving one for Christmas.
    I doubt if you can go wrong with either Garmin or LabRadar.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I have used Garmin's customer service and was quite happy with it.
    I cannot comment on how well their chronograph works, but that will soon change as I know I am receiving one for Christmas.
    I doubt if you can go wrong with either Garmin or LabRadar.
    I haven't used Garmin but LabRadar phone app has some deficiencies: at least two are bugging me (not a show stopper). First it looses the connection to the unit whenever phone goes to lock screen and you unlock it afterwards and second one that bugs me more - you can't just send/export logs to your computer from the application via WiFi or bluetooth; if you want a copy you have to take out SD card and do old fashioned file copy from disk to disk. I know, first world problems, lol.

Boolit Buddy
    My Garmin came in yesterday. I unboxed it last night, plugged it into the computer and opened the Garmin Express app that I use to keep my GPS updated. The app found the Xero and asked if I wanted to add a new device. I confirmed and it did. All I needed was to confirm my email address and it registered it for warranty. Next it checked for software updates. It found v3.19 and asked if I wanted to update. Then I left it plugged into the USB port to fully charge. It took about 45 minutes to go from 60% to full charge.

Today I downloaded the ShotView app to my phone and paired it with the Xero. I went out to the back of the lot and turned on the Garmin. It asked if I wanted to start a session. I confirmed and then had to select what I was shooting from a list. Answered a few more questions and it showed the suggested placement of the chronograph, then went to the ready screen. From there you just took your shots downrange. After a second or two it displayed the velocity of that shot and it was ready for the next shot. When I selected "end session" it stored that data and also sent it to my phone. I shot a 10 shot string with a pellet rifle and three 10 shot strings with a suppressed TX22 pistol. Never missed a shot.

The only thing that I have seen so far that I would like to see improved is transferring the data to the computer. It is stored as a csv file for each string. You have to send each file to the computer by email. No batch dump, it's a separate process for each session. I am still looking at options there. Of course, you can view all of the data on the chrono or on your phone.

I love this thing so far but you have to know that I have been using a 35P with the proof channel for 35 years. That is a lot of luggage to take along and set up. All you have to do with the Garmin is turn it on and point it down range. Easy setup right out of the box. I will note that since I was not at the range today I mounted it on a lightweight tripod instead of the included mini tripod.

Boolit Master
    A friend of mine just told me about his Garmin the other day, he couldn't say enough good things about it.
    My Labradar, on the other hand... I used it three times and gave up. If there are no other shooters it works great. If anyone else is on the line you'll record as much of their data as you will yours, doesn't matter how you set it up.
    Here's another option. The same buddy who loves his Garmin is now wishing he'd tried one of these. I guess it has better data collection/connectivity (and they do make chronographs for firearms, not just airguns): https://fxairguns.com/accessories/chronographs/
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Buddy
    To be fair I’ve never had problems with other shooters interfering with my LabRadar indoors or outdoors.

If garmin can make it figure out bc’s then I would be interested in it. It for now I will continue using my Oehlers, who hav outstanding customer service.

Working on some 3D printed mounting options.

Boolit Master
    I've had my Labradar for several years now. I don't use the phone app since I set it up on the bench in front of me where I can reach the controls. It saves everything to an SD card that I then put in the PC. Their folder formats are well thought out. The information is in csv format to load into a spreadsheet, which works very well.

I use a separate app to calculate BC. Just go to a track and load the three data points (vel1, vel2, distance).

I have had neighboring folks set off a track, mostly when they are using muzzle brakes. Only happened a few times, but, if you are always shooting on a crowded range it is something to consider. Same would probably happen with the Garmin.

But, I'd consider the Garmin if I had to choose now, just because I like Garmin products.

Boolit Man

Boolit Master
    Yep. A lot changes in the tech world in 5 years.

I would have liked to see a baseline using a really good chrono like a Oehler to see which one was closer. I know there are some videos of that with the Labradar from years ago.

Boolit Buddy
    I got one yesterday, It never missed one shot, I was doing everything to see how sensitive it is. shot sideways across lanes while it was pointed my target, still got them all. my rifle range has a wall with a window to shoot threw, 12x20 inches, worked threw the window. My son was shooting steel with handguns and we just left it on, and forgot about it, picked up all the shots and even tried really short ranges 20' with a pistol, and it still worked. This is by far the best crony I ever had. It is expensive, but it works and is small. Wish they came with a small case with the money I spent but hey, it always works. The only thing i wish they did was make the battery replaceable, but someone will figure out how to do it and if it last 4 years and I have to pay garmin a hundred bucks to change it, it was worth it because it works! This made lab radar obsolete overnight, maybe it will make them get off their ass and improve their stuff after 15 years of no improvement. I don't mind the price because I see a crony as a necessary piece of equipment for safety and load development. If it saves me from one mistake from working up loads it was worth it.

I ordered mine from Amazon and it will arrive in 2 days. Here in sunny Arizona, I've never had an issue using the old style chrono with sun screens;...other than occasionally shooting the screens, that is. So I initially wasn't all that interested in one of these. That is, until I realized how much easier it would be to transport, set up and use. Less bulky,...no assembling and setting up the screens,...and most importantly, I never have to get up from my seat just to go read the data off the tiny chrono display. I can just continue to sit where I'm at,...look over at the Garmin and get instant feedback.
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

I wouldn't worry too much about the battery at this point. The case is held together with screws. Cell phone cost a lot more and they are sealed units, don't see anyone complaining about them.
    I really like my Garmin so far.

I want one badly!!!!!! I got a close up look at the SHOT Show and this thing is simply too good to not have.

First and foremost it is small, literally Palm Sized and will fit into my Range Bag. It is smaller than my Binos that are in the bag full time. It is about 6" high with the Tripod open. I already have a Cordura Bag it will fit into to act as a case of sorts..

Also set up time is about 15 seconds. You kind of aim it in the general direction of where you think your bullets will go, and it picks them up. It is placed next to your gun, not in front of it, like most other instruments.

It does everything you need from a Chrono. IE Velocities, Shot Strings, SD's, etc.

And did I say,,, It is small and easily portable!!!

I want one and am just waiting for some money to come in so I can buy one. Maybe there will be a Sale or something?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Yes, you need one, works with everything from slingshots to high velocity rifles.
    I kind of balked at the $600 price tag, but after getting it I believe it is well worth it.

Boolit Master
    I have been using one for the past couple of weeks- it replaced a Labradar. There is a small learning curve but it works much better than anything I've had in the past. Well worth the money. I bought a hard case from Harbor Freight that holds the chronograph, stand, charging cable.
    Loren

Boolit Master
    Have one in the mail coming to me.

It has a smartphone app so I thought i would load it on my old smart phone (android 8) that I take to the range. I use it to take pictures of targets and load information/ date etc.
    app will not load on the old phone , but did on the new phone
    you do not need the app to use it BTW

Picked it up so i can get chrono readings from the bench with out having to put the unit down range, when range is busy and it will fit in the range bag

Boolit Buddy

Got one last week and after two range sessions I'm convinced it's worth every nickel. I haven't set up the phone app yet and not sure if I ever will.

I sure don't miss the set up, skyscreens, tripods, stiff cables in cold weather and don't miss the ERR message!

I like it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast