RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: BP cartridge question

Boolit Buddy

BP cartridge question

So I’ve heard black powder is better at bumping up bullets to grove diameter then smoakless powder is.. my question is would BP bump a .308 jacketed bullet into a .303 bore if it was a open base heavy bullet. I am thinking about messing with 303 BP and would like to use 200gr bullets and I can not find jacketed 200gr 303 bullets

The reason I’m thinking on using jacketed bullets is from watching others do this I suspect it makes the pressure go higher and thus burn cleaner.

Boolit Buddy

My short answer/opinion is that it won't work well, if at all. The "bumping up" with black powder requires that the bullet be pretty soft lead - there's whole pages of discussions about what lead alloy/hardness works best for a particular bullet shape and application. Harder lead alloys bump up little or not at all under a lighter charge. I don't believe a jacketed bullet, being harder, will ever bump up enough to seal a 0.311/0.312" bore.

As always, you can't believe everything you read, and I could be wrong. It can't hurt to try (at least, it won't be dangerous, anyway ). Do your .303 dies size down small enough to hold a .308 bullet?
    Running the ridges and riding the rivers of the Southwest Virginia Appalachians

Boolit Master
    I agree…seriously doubt that you’ll see any “bump” on a jacketed bullet - in any caliber.

Boolit Master

Try it. Be very careful if using soft point open base. Check bore between shots. There is an old story about some surplus ammo, Swiss ( ? ) or something that guys filed a flat spot nose on to for hunting. In practice, the lead cores shot out and left the jacket stuck in the barrel. Next shot is a BOOM. Lead shooters use pistol powders also to bump up bullets. I think you will be safe using black. Be careful.

Boolit Buddy

Better look for British surplus ammo that has dead primers. I have a lot of 7.65 Argentine dud ammo that I pull down and use the powder and the bullet.
    the 308 jacketed bullets will not bump up to ride the 303 bore. Send a private message with your address. I will send you some Argentine bullets that are .312 for you to try out.