Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: BP 303 loads

Boolit Buddy

BP 303 loads

Have any of you tried to load, shoot BP in the 303, I know the original loading was 70gr of powder with a 200gr bullet, how ever most people can only get around 50gr in a case. I have read of a few people getting close to 70gr in a case compressing it in stages.

I would be curious to hear what you guys have done, load wise and how it did.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanJames170 View Post
    Have any of you tried to load, shoot BP in the 303, I know the original loading was 70gr of powder with a 200gr bullet, how ever most people can only get around 50gr in a case. I have read of a few people getting close to 70gr in a case compressing it in stages.

I would be curious to hear what you guys have done, load wise and how it did.
    303 loads . ? dont know if this is true or a story but been told that cordite charges (long sticks of it) were inserted into the cylindrical case before completion of the forming process (body taper neck and shoulder) - might be the only to get 70 grains of black into that case in an efficient manner ???

Boolit Master
    A guy on U-Tube has a few episodes on reloading and shooting the 303 with black. Very interesting, the name of his channel is Everything Black Powder.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    True story: that was the cordite loading procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    303 loads . ? dont know if this is true or a story but been told that cordite charges (long sticks of it) were inserted into the cylindrical case before completion of the forming process (body taper neck and shoulder) - might be the only to get 70 grains of black into that case in an efficient manner ???
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    A compressed pellet of powder was used ,a moulded solid piece with a hole in the middle for the primer flash........if blackpowder is compressed under pressure the sulfur becomes plastic and unites the components into a solid ....This was not unique to 303 , many European 8mms used the same process to get the desired performance from blackpowder rounds

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    A guy on U-Tube has a few episodes on reloading and shooting the 303 with black. Very interesting, the name of his channel is Everything Black Powder.
    I just seen both that guys videos got like 55 and then 71.5gr of powder, think he needs a 200gr bullet though.

Boolit Master
    if you cram 70gr of loose powder into a a case,there is no where for the primer flash to go,and its not impossible to tear the case in half and send it down the barrel ,where it may stick ,causing a bulge next shot.

Boolit Buddy
    Last edited by Thundermaker; 12-28-2023 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundermaker View Post
    What's this have to do with the subject?

Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    What's this have to do with the subject?
    It's a video about loading the 303 with black powder and how to get 70 grains in the case?

Boolit Master
    However ,technically incorrect ,and no more than tinkering

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    however until you manage to make the equipment needed to make a proper 303 bp cartridge, dont complain at someones attempt to feel special. Its mean.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Well, he technically loaded some ammunition and successfully fired it. I don't know what else you want.

Boolit Buddy
    I did watch that guys video about the 71gr of powder kinda nuts it worked as well as it did, from seeing what he had for results I almost think the powder pellet the British used was made from 4F.

I do wonder what the chamber pressure was on this stuff though. I am pretty sure nothing harmful to the rifle giving its nitro profed.

I do want to give the 55gr load a try just with a heavier bullet though

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanJames170 View Post
    I did watch that guys video about the 71gr of powder kinda nuts it worked as well as it did, from seeing what he had for results I almost think the powder pellet the British used was made from 4F.

I do wonder what the chamber pressure was on this stuff though. I am pretty sure nothing harmful to the rifle giving its nitro profed.

I do want to give the 55gr load a try just with a heavier bullet though
    The original load had a solid pellet of powder that had a hole through the center, much like a modern pyrodex pellet. As for pressures, I can't say. There are a lot of figures floating around.