Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forster Hollow Pointer

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by high standard 40 View Post
    Larry, I load the RCBS 35-200 in both a 358 Win and a 35 Rem, each hollowpointed with the Forster tool and the alloy is 50/50 COWW/Pure with added tin. My velocities are estimated to be similar to what you stated or less. I have noted larger hematoma on the entrance side than the
    photo you posted. They really make a mess.
    Having dressed out a lot of deer and elk that "mess" always look much worse than it is. The blood on the outside cleaned off and only a little was lost around the bullet hole(s). I've seen the same "mess" many times with non HP'd FPs. I've also seen the same with cast and jacketed bullets having lower impact velocities. You're not going to kill any animal w/o creating some "mess". I don't give a second thought to it as I prefer to kill animals quickly and I'd rather have a bit more hamburger than to lose an animal which I have and don't want to ever again.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Having dressed out a lot of deer and elk that "mess" always look much worse than it is. The blood on the outside cleaned off and only a little was lost around the bullet hole(s). I've seen the same "mess" many times with non HP'd FPs. I've also seen the same with cast and jacketed bullets having lower impact velocities. You're not going to kill any animal w/o creating some "mess".
    Very true. What I find interesting with cast hollow point vs jacketed bullets, I'm seeing larger entry holes and tissue damage than what is seen at the exit. I've harvested a few with flat point cast and the wound chanel is more what could be expected. I took two whitetails last year with the RCBS 200 with hollow points where the entry was in the shoulder. Both shoulders were so damaged they were unusable.

Boolit Buddy
    I have always had best results with HPs using a binary lead/tin alloy. Adding antimony to the mix causes a loss of ductility.
    45/325 with impact velocity around 1500 fps will almost double in diameter with a deep HP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12