Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: MP Molds alignment issue

Boolit Buddy

MP Molds alignment issue

I have a 8 cav aluminum mold, and the steel alignment pins are walking out. Unfortunately I am getting zero response from MP molds. I have been trying to reach them over the past few weeks. Any other recourse to have this solved?

Would it be practical to drill from the side and pin* the pins in the desired position?

*Or set screw?

Moderator Emeritus

If you are handy and can easily remove them?
    I would roll the pin bodys on a flat rasp to put some burrs on them, then re-insert. I've done that once and solved a similar problem with a Lee mold.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Don't feel bad. I've had emails out to every major player in the mold business for a month and a half without responses from any of them (trying to find someone who has the time to do a one off...). That said, it sounds like they need to be restaked.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Tom at Accurate Molds does one offs. Probably every design in his catalog started as a one off. I have 8 of his molds on the shelf and several are my designs. Others I have are modifications of others in his catalog.

Boolit Buddy
    Put the mold together and lay on side with the pins pointing up. Insert pin punch through the hole in the guide bushing to top of pin, gently tap pin back in until halves close and there is a little lateral play between halves. Turn over and gently tap pin until lateral play is gone and mold still closes tight. Reattach handles, heat and continue casting.

Boolit Buddy
    I had my pins move on my mp mold. I got it too hot.
    Get the mold hot again and tap the pins back in. Don't do it with a cold mold.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    Put the mold together and lay on side with the pins pointing up. Insert pin punch through the hole in the guide bushing to top of pin, gently tap pin back in until halves close and there is a little lateral play between halves. Turn over and gently tap pin until lateral play is gone and mold still closes tight. Reattach handles, heat and continue casting.
    I have done this but it continues to move when casting. I think they need to be pinned at this point.

Boolit Buddy
    I had a similar problem with a brass mold, I think it was an Arsenal. I looked at other molds from the same manufacturer and noticed the one I had problems with, the pins were on opposite sides from all the others. I took the pins and placed them into the same side as the other molds. Those holes had a slight taper to them. When I tapped the pins in, they held and have been working ever since with no further problems.