Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: hunting Revolvers

Boolit Master
    I'm old enough to know I'd have a tough time even seeing a soda can at 500 feet, much less hitting it...... For most of us the bisley grip frame works just fine if we are going to wind it up a bit. For mild loads the Blackhawk frame works, as does the square back grip frame but if you start getting up into the 1100-1200 fps range it can start to get your attention.

Dick

Boolit Master
    I have only hunted with open sights but was a pretty decent revolver shot when my eyes were younger, and have killed deer, hogs, one turkey and a lot of small game with pistols (even knocked a few birds out of the sky once in a while).

In order, my besties were: Ruger Old Model Blackhawk, unconverted 3 screw, in 45 Colt, 7-1/2" bbl; model 29 S&W in 44 mag, 6-1/2" bbl; Colt SAA in 44 Special, 4-3/4" bbl; and a Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk 44 mag, 7-1/2" bbl (transfer bar version). I still have the first three and only sold the Super Blackhawk because I never liked the trigger pull. At this point in my life, I would be hard pressed to pick only one, but the Colt SAA is very accurate and lighter than the other two, although the Blackhawk .45 is a close second. The model 29 is large for a belt gun and carries better in a shoulder holster.

I carried a S&W model 57 41 mag with a 4" barrel for many years when hunting deer and it was also quite accurate. I once hit a jack rabbit with it at almost 120 yds but there was a fair bit of luck in that shot (and I was 25 years younger than now). I still have an old model Blackhawk in 41 mag but I'm leaning towards selling it because none of my sons who hunt carry a 41 - they all like 45 Colt.

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Well, beginning with cap guns - 22 Shorts, cowboy action ear plugs for my cayuse and we picked our ponies from the cavvy. It takes a lot of time and work! Would I shoot more than 5 yards from a horse??? HECK NO! But if they're breath feeling distance, listening to the hooves pound the snow - I would put my 2 spikes against any of the big bulls I've killed as far as trophies go!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    I would agree.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by castmiester View Post
    Like to have one for black bear. There's a huge bruin on the ridge where I hunt.
    Brings up the old adage "Load for bear!" I thought I'd toss this into the thread, anytime you load a revolver with a heavy boolit and a case full of slow-burning magnum powder, it will generate considerable recoil. Here is a post comparing Ruger single action grip frames:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post4972204
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    I think the most gun for the money in a hunting revolver is the BFR. I have one in 454 Casull, but 44 mag would work just as well for all but the largest (and most dangerous) game. Mine has an UltraDot sight on it, which helps a lot in low light.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Brings up the old adage "Load for bear!" I thought I'd toss this into the thread, anytime you load a revolver with a heavy boolit and a case full of slow-burning magnum powder, it will generate considerable recoil. Here is a post comparing Ruger single action grip frames:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post4972204
    I fooled around for a short while with the Model 29 loads. So yeah I get the recoil, but not long enough to let it bother me. Looks like a good choice that Mamba posted, the BFR, grip looks like a winner.

The Bisley is more palm friendly, I take it. Maybe it's a good thing perimits take three months, it gives me time to do my homework.

Just looked at my Taurus 66 with the Hogue grip. It has what the BFR has behind the trigger guard, but it's rubber not Plastic.
    Last edited by castmiester; 12-20-2023 at 05:32 PM.

Boolit Master
    As you can see by the many posts & experiences,, folks have their preferences and their reasons.

I say find the one that fits YOUR hands & that YOU can shoot the best. Look at the options you may desire,, such as a scope, or red dot optics, or even the open sights,, (maybe with the new RW/Fermin rear sight option,)

For the simplest operation, and the platform most seem to migrate to,, is the SA design over the DA design.

Yet,, the dragoon style g/f on the SBH is either hated or loved by shooters. This is where the "fits your hands" is very important.
    For most folks,, especially handling heavier recoiling calibers,, the Bisley design seems to really be the best. And if you really want a better fit,, a RW Grip Frame that may work better than a factory grip.

If at all possible,, I'd see if I could find a gun range & gun owners with different guns to try out to assist in the final decision.

Banned
    be alot easier if it was paperless. Buy one and bring it back and trade it. But having permits makes it more difficult. So yeah I need to be more selective. Sounds like you are for Bisley. You being who you are I'll take your word for it. Does Houge make grips for the Ruger bisley?
    Last edited by castmiester; 12-20-2023 at 09:51 PM.

Boolit Master
    Here’s my 60 year old Super Blackhawk.
    It’s shows some experience.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1675.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	321225
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master

Good to know!! Different brands have longer bullets than others yes. I heard about the grips on the BH being disappointing. The RH being better. I like houge grips myself.
    Totally personal issue. My SBH is the classic Colt Peacemaker profile with stock grips - I REALLY dislike the Bisley frame option myself, but they have a large following.

My Redhawk went through a couple aftermarkets before ending up with the original factory wood back on it.

I regard the Smiths as a having little more comfortable frame geometry, but the RH has a certain mechanical beastliness one has to admire.

Older Smiths were square butt only. New ones are round butt only with the option of square butt simulating grips.

If it's about feel for you, then our opinion isn't likely to help you much. Time to go tire-kicking!
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shooting on a shoestring View Post

That's a good looking old gal! I like the honest wear.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Totally personal issue. My SBH is the classic Colt Peacemaker profile with stock grips - I REALLY dislike the Bisley frame option myself, but they have a large following.

My Redhawk went through a couple aftermarkets before ending up with the original factory wood back on it.

I regard the Smiths as a having little more comfortable frame geometry, but the RH has a certain mechanical beastliness one has to admire.

Older Smiths were square butt only. New ones are round butt only with the option of square butt simulating grips.

If it's about feel for you, then our opinion isn't likely to help you much. Time to go tire-kicking!
    Looks like your peace maker has the same profile the BH does.

Boolit Master

Looks like your peace maker has the same profile the BH does.
    Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk Hunter are all basically Peacemaker clones as far as the grip shape goes. "Bisley" was a target range in England, and the name somehow got attached to a model of Colt that was used at those matches. The Bisley-style grip frame attached to a Colt or Ruger single action provides more of a vertical grip which some people like.

It's very similar to the difference between a WWI-spec 1911 with its flat mainspring housing (Bisley), and the WWII-spec 1911-A1 with its arched mainspring housing (Peacemaker). Generally, folks prefer one, and the other will be slightly "wrong".
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Love a gun that has "been there and done that".
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

That “Been there, done that” revolver is beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    be alot easier if it was paperless. Buy one and bring it back and trade it. But having permits makes it more difficult. So yeah I need to be more selective. Sounds like you are for Bisley. You being who you are I'll take your word for it. Does Houge make grips for the Ruger bisley?
    I understand your issues with the paperwork in NJ. That truly does prevent a lot of experimentation. This is why I mentioned finding a gun range & others with guns to try before you buy one. Too bad you aren't anywhere near me,, I could let you try whatever you may consider.

As for my preferring a Bisley,, I'll share MY personal experiences.
    When Ruger introduced the Bisley g/f on guns,, I figured they wouldn't sell too well. I even resisted trying them. Well, once I did try a few with heavier recoiling handguns,, I found that I, like so many others,, experienced better fit & comfort,,, plus grip control when using a Bisley vs the plow handle. But as noted above in a few places,, some prefer the plow handle design.
    And some mention the knuckle busting of the Ruger Dragoon g/f over others.

This goes directly back to what fits YOUR hands.

As for Hogue & grips for a Bisley,, I don't think they offer rubber ones,, but I do think they offer wood ones. In shooting heavier recoiling handguns,, it's better to NOT fight the recoil,, but let the physics act as they will. If you look around you won't see any of the really heavy recoiling handguns using rubber grips,, & most will have a form of the Bisley as the design. The Freedom Arms is kinda a cross between a Bisley & a plow handle. And when you shoot a 454 or even larger calibers,, you do not want to try & stop the physics of the recoil going upwards.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm a SBH fan. I bought a Redhawk to hunt with. It shot nice, but it just didn't fit my hand. I tried a couple aftermarket grips, but they were no better. I gave up on the gun, gave it to my son-in-law, and went back to the SBH. The right handgun for hunting is the one you're most comfortable shooting.

As noted, choose the barrel length based on how you hunt. A longer barrel is nice for hunting from a blind or a stand, but the shorter barrel is preferred if you're spending your day on your feet.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNapper View Post
    I'm a SBH fan. I bought a Redhawk to hunt with. It shot nice, but it just didn't fit my hand. I tried a couple aftermarket grips, but they were no better. I gave up on the gun, gave it to my son-in-law, and went back to the SBH. The right handgun for hunting is the one you're most comfortable shooting.

As noted, choose the barrel length based on how you hunt. A longer barrel is nice for hunting from a blind or a stand, but the shorter barrel is preferred if you're spending your day on your feet.
    Under 8 inch for still hunting ?

Boolit Buddy
    Under 8 inch for still hunting ?
    My favorite shooter is a 7.5" SBH with iron sights. I hunt woods from a blind or stand so my shots are realistically max'ed out at 50-75 yds, and that barrel is more than adequate. I'm not one of those to attempt 100+ yds with a handgun. If I'm walking, the 5.5" is is my choice simply for comfort.

If I was hunting in a more open area there's a 10" .44 Contender barrel in the closet that would probably be put to use. For some reason I've avoided carrying the Contender for quite a few years. It gets brought out for shooting paper, but then put away for hunting season. Just preference I guess.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNapper View Post
    My favorite shooter is a 7.5" SBH with iron sights. I hunt woods from a blind or stand so my shots are realistically max'ed out at 50-75 yds, and that barrel is more than adequate. I'm not one of those to attempt 100+ yds with a handgun. If I'm walking, the 5.5" is is my choice simply for comfort.

If I was hunting in a more open area there's a 10" .44 Contender barrel in the closet that would probably be put to use. For some reason I've avoided carrying the Contender for quite a few years. It gets brought out for shooting paper, but then put away for hunting season. Just preference I guess.
    ya.. makes sense, thanks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast