Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: hunting Revolvers

Boolit Master
    Ruger’s Bisley grip is uncomfortable in my lean, bony hands. The old Colt Bisley isn’t bad with medium bore cartridges but I’ve always preferred the standard Peacemaker shape in most any single action, although the “Slim Jim” grips on the 1860 Army are very comfortable, too - but aren’t generally available. I once swapped a set on a .44-40 SAA as an experiment and the result was a good combination. I wish someone would offer the original profile as an option, because the replica cap and ball revolvers are closer to the classic SAA.

Boolit Grand Master
    I wear a size 12 4E: me telling someone what gun to buy based on what fits me is a silly as me telling them what size shoes to buy. For what its worth, I am a Bisley size frame fan. YMMV
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

What hunting revolver has the smallest thinnest circumference grips?

Quote Originally Posted by castmiester View Post
    I've been wanting a Ruger super Blackhawk for some time now... and I'm getting the itch. 44 Mag.

It's 500 bucks cheaper than the Redhawk... Any other ones you think are better ?
    I've killed quite a few deer and hogs with .44 Special and .45 Colt revolvers, mostly 4 3/4" and 5 1/2", all Uberti SA's. I've preferred these revolvers because they're light and easy to carry on the hip when walking for long distances and are more than accurate enough out to at least 75 yds. I've owned a Flat Top Blackhawk .44 Special now for many years, but just never got around to using it, yet. I never found the need for heavy loads, only one of mine used had a MV in excess of 1000 fps (.44 Special w/258 gr. SWCHP @ 1105 fps) and the buck I killed with it was no deader than those I killed with lighter loads. The rest were 258 gr. .44 caliber and 285 gr. .45 caliber running 935 - 980 fps, and they all just sail through game on broadside shots, even on game out to almost 50 yds.

Now that my eyes are 60 years old and the sights of the Uberti SA's are getting more difficult to see, I'll be switching the Flat Top Blackhawk .44 Special and in fact am in the process of buying a Ruger Flat Top Blackhawk Convertible in 45 Colt.

I guess my point is the smaller frame revolvers are over a half pound lighter and can be loaded heavy enough to do anything that needs to be done in the lower 48. Just food for thought.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    I've killed quite a few deer and hogs with .44 Special and .45 Colt revolvers, mostly 4 3/4" and 5 1/2", all Uberti SA's. I've preferred these revolvers because they're light and easy to carry on the hip when walking for long distances and are more than accurate enough out to at least 75 yds. I've owned a Flat Top Blackhawk .44 Special now for many years, but just never got around to using it, yet. I never found the need for heavy loads, only one of mine used had a MV in excess of 1000 fps (.44 Special w/258 gr. SWCHP @ 1105 fps) and the buck I killed with it was no deader than those I killed with lighter loads. The rest were 258 gr. .44 caliber and 285 gr. .45 caliber running 935 - 980 fps, and they all just sail through game on broadside shots, even on game out to almost 50 yds.

Now that my eyes are 60 years old and the sights of the Uberti SA's are getting more difficult to see, I'll be switching the Flat Top Blackhawk .44 Special and in fact am in the process of buying a Ruger Flat Top Blackhawk Convertible in 45 Colt.

I guess my point is the smaller frame revolvers are over a half pound lighter and can be loaded heavy enough to do anything that needs to be done in the lower 48. Just food for thought.

35W
    Those are some of the finest words on the caliber debate you can find. Pretty much in line with Skelton when he put out his "every day, 90% of what you need load" of 10 grains Unique, 240-250 SWC, 44 magnum case.

And owning a Smith and Wesson 629 discourages me from "energetic loading data" and big bullets. I almost went for that SBH hunter model, oh so beautiful but then i saw some youtube videos of a guy doing ammo testing with factory 350 grain loads... sure he could shoot through the door of a fire safe he got at walmart, but he admitted he needed to carry a screw driver in his pocket to poke the empties out. And the way the muzzle of the gun was pointing behind his head after every shot...

Boolit Master
    " then i saw some youtube videos of a guy doing ammo testing with factory 350 grain loads... sure he could shoot through the door of a fire safe he got at walmart, but he admitted he needed to carry a screw driver in his pocket to poke the empties out. And the way the muzzle of the gun was pointing behind his head after every shot...[/QUOTE]"

I tend to take MUCH of what is posted on "you-boob" with a BIG grain of salt.
    I own a few Ruger big bores,, in the Hunter variety, and have NEVER had to "carry a screwdriver" to get the empties out.
    And obviously 350 grn rounds in a .44 mag are not "normal" factory offerings by any of the bigger ammo makers. Maybe Buffalo Bore or Cor-Bon offer such things,, but it's not as "normal" as most factory offerings.

With most of us here being casters & such,, even a cast slug of heavier than normal ammo isn't that bad.

And the comment about the gun muzzle pointing behind his head after every shot,, well, I'd say he's not a very experienced shooter with a .44 mag.
    I've personally shot a few heavy .44 loads in a few of my Rugers. And I've shot .45 Colt, and .480's. NONE of them had my muzzle behind my head, ever.
    The closest guns I've ever shot that had serious enough recoil to where the muzzle went up & above my head (yet still not behind my head,) were a BFR in 450 Marlin, and a custom .500 Huntington, using Buffalo Bore ammo.
    I'd say the you-boob shooter had very little experience with SERIOUS handgunning.

Banned
    contender... yeah may not have been a gun in good knack, could have been genuine factory, or could have been home made ammo in a factory box.

But if 240-250 was "good enough" for Skelton to go hunting with, why would it not be a good choice today?

Boolit Master
    Thom_44,, I've been a handgun hunter for decades. I've taken well over 100 whitetails with a handgun. Plus,, I have several friends who are also dedicated handgun hunters. So I think I have a little bit of insight into hunting with one.

We all often discuss the basic formula for a solid, game taking handgun. Caliber starting with a "4". Quality cast & often powder coated bullets. Velocity in the 1000-1200 fps range for most of the North American game out there. As for Skeeter's info,, I was reading Skeeter's works long ago, and even met him once. I have packed a .44 Spl,,, with a 240 grn cast bullet, loaded with 7.5 grns of Unique, as a comfortable handgun hunting package for deer & even elk. If I were to step up to bear,, I use a 265 grn solid cast bullet,, in .45 Colt, and the velocity runs a tad over 1100 fps. I live in WNC,, where we get black bears in the 400-700 lb range often. I never feel undergunned with that.
    So a .44 mag,, with a good 240-275 grn cast bullet, running 1000-1200 fps will be just fine. AND if you have any proper shooting abilities,, the gun will not put the muzzle behind the head.

If you happen to be close to WNC and wanted to try out several calibers & loads,, I own a gun range & I do NOT charge like the rapers at the range you went to. In fact,, you'd be shocked at how little I charge to actually help shooters learn stuff properly.

Boolit Master
    Oh,, and before other folks say I'm not including the .357 cal as a serious hunting handgun,, it too can be quite good. Here's a picture of a deer taken this past season with my Ruger .357 Maximum Blackhawk. A cast 195 grn SWC,,gas checked, and yes,, it's accuracy point was a bit faster than the 1200 fps I've mentioned,, but it's what the gun likes!

Boolit Master
    Oh... the .357 is a sledgehammer on deer..In the form of the 357 Herrett, it is ab out as good as my 141 35 Remington!!!

Boolit Master
    I do find it amazing how a 30-30 Winchester is a borderline acceptable deer cartridge in a rifle, but you put that sumf buck in a handgun and you're ready for grizzly!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    I do find it amazing how a 30-30 Winchester is a borderline acceptable deer cartridge in a rifle, but you put that sumf buck in a handgun and you're ready for grizzly!

So it seems...But...around these parts the 35 Remington has all my life been more than acceptable...so, stands to reason that almost exactly the same Ballistics from my Long Barreled Handgun???? Or...Is it a Short handled Rifle??

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    Thom_44,, I've been a handgun hunter for decades. I've taken well over 100 whitetails with a handgun. Plus,, I have several friends who are also dedicated handgun hunters. So I think I have a little bit of insight into hunting with one.

We all often discuss the basic formula for a solid, game taking handgun. Caliber starting with a "4". Quality cast & often powder coated bullets. Velocity in the 1000-1200 fps range for most of the North American game out there. As for Skeeter's info,, I was reading Skeeter's works long ago, and even met him once. I have packed a .44 Spl,,, with a 240 grn cast bullet, loaded with 7.5 grns of Unique, as a comfortable handgun hunting package for deer & even elk. If I were to step up to bear,, I use a 265 grn solid cast bullet,, in .45 Colt, and the velocity runs a tad over 1100 fps. I live in WNC,, where we get black bears in the 400-700 lb range often. I never feel undergunned with that.
    So a .44 mag,, with a good 240-275 grn cast bullet, running 1000-1200 fps will be just fine. AND if you have any proper shooting abilities,, the gun will not put the muzzle behind the head.

If you happen to be close to WNC and wanted to try out several calibers & loads,, I own a gun range & I do NOT charge like the rapers at the range you went to. In fact,, you'd be shocked at how little I charge to actually help shooters learn stuff properly.
    Thats one of the reasons I went with a 44, that bullet load is not abusive on the shooter, I have no interest in trying to push a 357 to similar levels.

I considered 357 for deer hunting, but as I have black bear to worry on most of the year, and i read a few articles from a major bear hunting outfitter down south that said something on the lines of "guys who use a 357 magnum, do get a bear but normally need to RELOAD. And those guys always come back the following season with a .41 or .44"

Boolit Master
    Thom_44,, sounds like you are on the right track with a .44. I put in the .357 Maxi as a side thing just to prevent the folks who do use a .357 a lot from saying I snubbed them. I don't. I use it too.

But I am down south,, with some big bears. And a .357 is good if you have a treed bear, AND can place a good shot. But,, many of the local bear hunters I know frown a lot on handguns for bear,, and some flat out refuse to accept anything less than a .44 mag.
    But As I've said, my .45 Colt is loaded for bear and can easily handle a big one. I have a friend in Idaho,, who also posts here occasionally,, (sixshot) who hunted Africa twice with just handguns. His most recent safari he used a .45 Colt for a Cape Buffalo. Do a search,, as I seem to recall his posting that hunt here a few years ago.

Point being,, a good bullet, in a .44 mag, and running in the 1000-1200 fps range,, will handle most stuff in North America.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    Thom_44,, sounds like you are on the right track with a .44. I put in the .357 Maxi as a side thing just to prevent the folks who do use a .357 a lot from saying I snubbed them. I don't. I use it too.

But I am down south,, with some big bears. And a .357 is good if you have a treed bear, AND can place a good shot. But,, many of the local bear hunters I know frown a lot on handguns for bear,, and some flat out refuse to accept anything less than a .44 mag.
    But As I've said, my .45 Colt is loaded for bear and can easily handle a big one. I have a friend in Idaho,, who also posts here occasionally,, (sixshot) who hunted Africa twice with just handguns. His most recent safari he used a .45 Colt for a Cape Buffalo. Do a search,, as I seem to recall his posting that hunt here a few years ago.

Point being,, a good bullet, in a .44 mag, and running in the 1000-1200 fps range,, will handle most stuff in North America.
    Thats part of why i went with a 44 to handle hunting/large animal defense. The penetration of a 240 swc at 900fps is comforting. But for some reason the mushrooming and penetration of a JHP hunting bullet is still reassuring.

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post

Exactly^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Exactly^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I believe it is the novelty of shorter barrel of the handgun that provides superior performance over the full sized 30-30 rifle or carbine. For some reason that shorter barrel can provide an extra 150 yards of efective hunting range for white tail.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom_44 View Post
    I believe it is the novelty of shorter barrel of the handgun that provides superior performance over the full sized 30-30 rifle or carbine. For some reason that shorter barrel can provide an extra 150 yards of efective hunting range for white tail.
    Really!!!? So I am mistaken that my 35 Remington is Superior to my 357 Magnum??

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Really!!!? So I am mistaken that my 35 Remington is Superior to my 357 Magnum??
    Maybe 12 years ago i was watching one of those fake hunting shows on the outdoor channel on dish tv. The expert hunters said that the use of a "pointy bullet" and the use of a 14" contender barrel gave them an extra 150 yards of hunting with a 30-30. The pointy bullet looked alot like 150 grain PSP used in remington .308 factory ammunition.

But they did have the experience to claim that a 16-20" rifle/carbine in 30-30 was only good for about 70 yards using the same bullet profile. I know, those rules should mean that a snub nose LCR in 22lr should be good for 300 yards. And perhaps the HI Power Sentinel snub nose 22lr with its adjsutable rear sight, should be good for 350?

Yes, the 22lr is sarcasm on my part, but from when i watched those fake hunting shows, it was awful common for the celebrity hunters to need 2 ays and the use of dogs to find their deer that "dropped right where it got shot, and never got up again".

Deer are like that. Usually they only drop right there in your garden, on top of what they were eating.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast