MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Jerky time!!!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Jerky time!!!

Finally got around to smoking a batch today in my Lil Totem electric smoker. I made a pretty big batch and the wind wasn't helping. Normally takes 8 hours then I put the pieces in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes till they "whistle". From there I put them in a zip lock bag over night in the fridge to sweat so the pieces soften up. Next day I'll cut them up into once inch pieces so they are easily eaten and chewed. Use to leave them the way they are on the photo below but it wears my mouth out trying to bite off chunks amd chewing them. Cutting up into small pieces are just as soft as the tender square jerkey pieces you buy in the store. I used Hi Mountain jerky kit and and a couple different flavors. Been using those kits for years. Pretty much have it down to a science when it's not cold out and I don't overpack the smoker. Eight hours turned into 24 hours and I still have a few un smoked pieces that are in the smoker yet. The bad part about that smoker is there's no thermometer and no temp gauge. I just smoke by how the jerky looks and feels. I covered yhe smoker up with a couple of towels this morning after letting sit over night. After a 12 hour over nighter the meat still looked raw! The towels kept the heat in and wind out. I used a branch off my sweet cherry tree I started from a seed for the smoking pot.

Looks great! You’ve inspired me to cut up some of that cow we just butchered.

This is from the 160 inch eight pointer from last year. I figured it’s time to get it burnt up! I still have a pile of meat in the freezer from that and another buck from last year so I think I’m gonna be making jerky nonstop for a while.

Great way to use it, jerky is darned expensive. My ups driver just gave me some jerky sticks he made from a bear he just shot, they were better than any I’ve ever bought.

Moderator Emeritus

Grab one of these and put it 2/3 of the way up in your door... have to make sure no meat is touching it when you close it, can go thru the back wall or a side but door is easiest for reading... there are electronic versions too...

https://www.amazon.com/Tel-Tru-BQ300...A262TPPYXMWGNT

Mary, when I was out pewter shopping at the thrift stores this past summer I think I four or five thermometers from the Army Navy store for a buck a piece. I have to drill a hole and stick one in. The neighbor was throwing out an Indian chief smoker this past year way bigger than mine! All needed was a cord. I gotta try that one next.

Here's my smoker I used...

And the one the neighbor through out I fixed...

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-19-2023 at 10:23 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Finally got around to smoking a batch today in my Lil Totem electric smoker. I made a pretty big batch and the wind wasn't helping. Normally takes 8 hours then I put the pieces in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes till they "whistle". From there I put them in a zip lock bag over night in the fridge to sweat so the pieces soften up. Next day I'll cut them up into once inch pieces so they are easily eaten and chewed. Use to leave them the way they are on the photo below but it wears my mouth out trying to bite off chunks amd chewing them. Cutting up into small pieces are just as soft as the tender square jerkey pieces you buy in the store. I used Hi Mountain jerky kit and and a couple different flavors. Been using those kits for years. Pretty much have it down to a science when it's not cold out and I don't overpack the smoker. Eight hours turned into 24 hours and I still have a few un smoked pieces that are in the smoker yet. The bad part about that smoker is there's no thermometer and no temp gauge. I just smoke by how the jerky looks and feels. I covered yhe smoker up with a couple of towels this morning after letting sit over night. After a 12 hour over nighter the meat still looked raw! The towels kept the heat in and wind out. I used a branch off my sweet cherry tree I started from a seed for the smoking pot.

I wrap a welding blanket around my smoker; No fire worries ??

I kept a watch on it with the two towels I put over it. I’ve covered it many times over the decades with a blanket or towel. It doesn’t get much over 200 degrees.

All cut up. Imo it lasts longer this way when sharing. When my buddies come over in the past they always grab a giant handful of the biggest pieces right off the get go and leave zilch for the ones farther back in line.lol. With smaller pieces like this they tend not to be so greedy. They just grab a handful and then come back for seconds, thirds, and fourths I stead of trying to hoard the whole pile all at once. It's also WAY easier to eat and chew in little bites. Got a blister and tore it off just from scissoring this batch. Seems to last qlot longer when I cut it up into little pieces imo....about 15 min longer. Lol

Boolit Master

At walmart they have stir fry beef that is perfect for making jerky. I make a marinade of my own and put the meat in and it goes in the frige four 24 hours. then into the dehydrator for 6-8 hours.

I vacuum sealed most of it and sent it to my god child for Christmas along with some other goodies.Ill have to make some more next week for myself.

Moderator Emeritus

I used to take jerky to my parents for xmas... I never told them what meat it was until they tried it LOL goose was a surprising hit and elk was off the charts good but elk meat is beef on steroids in my opinion! Way better flavor!

Boolit Master

My lazy way to make beef jerky is with carne asada.
    I trim out most of the fat and gristle.
    Not the cheapest way to go but easy.

I would like to try a wet brine one of theses days. I’ve been using the dry commercial versions for decades and basically nothing else. Think I have a bunch of it yet. Thrift store shopping for pewter I bought about 6 or more boxes for $5 total and an unopened jerky shooter with a bunch of packets for a buck or two.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I would like to try a wet brine one of theses days. I’ve been using the dry commercial versions for decades and basically nothing else. Think I have a bunch of it yet. Thrift store shopping for pewter I bought about 6 or more boxes for $5 total and an unopened jerky shooter with a bunch of packets for a buck or two.
    ditch the packets... going to be stale! They weren't very god to begin with.

There wasn't an expiration date on them. I've had that same stuff in my cupboards for years and it still tastes great. The yellow colored salt does turn into a hard chunk I have to grind back up with the bottom of a glass so I can mix it with my seasonings. I figured a homemade batch of Worcestershire sauce, salt, corn syrup or molasses along with some coca cola would jazz it up?
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-22-2023 at 01:28 PM.

Back from chrstmas. Thawing out a couple pounds of venison burger. I'm going to try out a jerky shooter I found in good will a year or so ago for $3.99. It was unopened. Tried one of those a good 25 years ago with a dehydrator and they turned out dry and brittle like dog treats. I'm sure I left them in to long. Dehydrator trays broke and got tossed out not long afterward. I also bought a smoker not long afterwards to replace the one we use to have in the late 70s, early 80s. I'm going to try and make some in my smoker. Stay tuned!!!!

First try at snack sticks with some tips from another members post here recently and a few YouTube videos. To tender for me but the old cowboy with not all his teeth loves them.lol. They are super tender right out of the oven. Hopefully they stiffen up a little after refrigeration time. I smoked them for 3 hours and then put in the oven till internal temp was 170 degrees. Think I just don't care for the door of the one flavor. The darker color sticks I like what ever mix is in it. All have to dig in the garbage to see what it said on the flavor packs. I can say the meat is definitely cooked ans melts in your mouth as soon as it comes apart.

Cooked a few in the oven till internal temp was almost 140 degrees and the other tray went in raw to the smoker.

After 3 hours of smoking and then into the oven till 170 degrees internally…

Grease wiped off….

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-02-2024 at 06:32 PM.

Maybe next year I will get a deer and I can try this.