Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Lee Loader in 380

Boolit Grand Master

Lee Loader in 380

I thumbed through everybody’s favorite auction site just in time to find an early Lee whack-a-mole loading set in 380. I made an offer that got an acceptable counter offer and hit “BUY”. I haven’t seen very many in this caliber and figured my little Hungarian pocket pistol gets loaded just enough to justify having this on the shelf. Not much, but occasionally. Stay tuned for a bench test.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Stay tuned for a bench test.
    I try to have them on hand for my major SHTF bug-out calibers. Great score! Hope it's in good shape.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    Congrats. They work well for what they are.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

I had one in .380 and used it to load for the Colt Govt. Model that my wife had when we married. It worked just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    About MUMBLE, MUMBLE years ago I had a High Standard G-380 (in fact for a short time I had two) and at the time I bought a Lyman 310 tool for the caliber, but I don’t think I ever loaded the first round with it. Jump forward a few decades and now I have a little Femaru pocket pistol so it just seemed natural for me to grab the 380 Lee Loader when it practically fell in my lap. Of course I hate crawling around on hands and knees looking for those blankety blank title shells!
    Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    I think I am at about one, maybe two percent on finding .380 brass fired in the field. I do considerably better at a range. I have almost resigned myself to treating .380's like .22's i.e. fire and forget.

They really make me appreciate my revolvers for field use.

Robert

Boolit Master
    You can download them just enough so they don't eject. My Glock is very accurate with them. This is at 25 yards.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G42.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	322434

I reload for .380 rarely so I didn't want to buy dies for it. I found that .223 has the same base specs as .380. I use my .223 dies to resize my lubed brass then seat with my 9mm dies. Works perfectly and the brass is sized to spec and cycles fine. 4gr of Unique under a 90gr XTP is very accurate out of my wife's Bersa.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    I reload for .380 rarely so I didn't want to buy dies for it. I found that .223 has the same base specs as .380. I use my .223 dies to resize my lubed brass then seat with my 9mm dies. Works perfectly and the brass is sized to spec and cycles fine. 4gr of Unique under a 90gr XTP is very accurate out of my wife's Bersa.
    Steve, that is a great idea that solves a different problem I have...

I have some older Hollywood dies, where the decapping is done during belling of the case mouth. It makes loading the Primed brass I have a PITA. This would actually save me some time fumbling while loading the primed brass...
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

I use the Lee 380 Auto dies, which have been perfect for me. Probably cost what the Lee Loader did (no offense intended Froggie.) The club range that I frequent has a concrete floor in the outdoor shelter; I tend not to shoot my desirable brass where I can't find it.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

I have an outdoor range that demands payment in brass. I spend more time scrounging than shooting at times and loath losing brass at about 5%. I have a poly-tarp that is wrought with heat-made holes from hot brass.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    Steve, that is a great idea that solves a different problem I have...

I have some older Hollywood dies, where the decapping is done during belling of the case mouth. It makes loading the Primed brass I have a PITA. This would actually save me some time fumbling while loading the primed brass...
    Glad to help.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    Thanks! DAN I have all the die you mentioned...was also looking at buying a set of 380 wack-a-brass lol setup..but , don't need them now.
    Thanks again.
    Cheers
    B

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinnbrian View Post
    Thanks! DAN I have all the die you mentioned...was also looking at buying a set of 380 wack-a-brass lol setup..but , don't need them now.
    Thanks again.
    Cheers
    B
    FWIW, looking for a Lee Loader set can be a long, frustrating job. There apparently weren’t that many made and they tend to show up about every second or third blue moon, and even then the owners seem to think they’re made of gold plated unobtanium! It’s almost as bad as looking for 380 brass in high grass.

Froggie