Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load DataWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Why did the recoil stories start, 44 magnum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    My Dan Wesson feels more flippy and harsh with the Keith 240gr Unique load than with a case full of 4227 under a 300gr bullet for some reason.

I love me some Nitro100NF and TiteWad (not TiteGroup) powder in my 9mm though. Be careful with it. Heavy bullets and super fast powder build pressure very quickly with tiny increases in charge weight.
    I will probably Not use Nitro 100 with Heavy boolits.. other better choices... but, with lighter Boolits... it works better for me than Red Dot... which shines with Typical for Caliber Projectiles!! Too Bad it is Unobtainium these days in these parts.
    Currently experimenting with the Lee 200gr RF for my 44's. So far, not quite as successful as the 125's in the 38SPL..
    Maybe I will seek out a 180 or so for the 44..

Banned
    Powder is different, so are our guns. I wont disagree with you guys at all on your felt recoil or what you prefer. Not at all. I have a feeling that some of you have rather expensive and fancy cushy grips and shooting gloves.

Boolit Master
    My apologies for not reading all the posts, but I think a component of recoil that isn't often discussed is recoil /velocity/ - which is certainly perceived differently than recoil energy.

Boolit Master
    "Why did the recoil stories start, 44 magnum"....because "in the beginning"...

1956/7 there were exactly two .44 Magnums....S&W .44 Magnum (pre-29) and the Ruger Blackhawk.

The S&W was available in three barrel lengths, 4", 6.5" and 8 3/8". The Ruger in three, 6.5", 7.5" and 10".

Ammo was only made by Remington and Winchester in one bullet weight...240 grain lead semi-wadcutter. Velocity was 1400+ fps from a 6.5" barrel.

If you have not tried a full Magnum 240 grain load in a Model 29 4" with original wood Target stocks you will understand after you do...

Today there are worse kicking .44 Magnum loads but "back then" the 240s were bad enough..

Bob

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post

1956/7 there were exactly two .44 Magnums....S&W .44 Magnum (pre-29) and the Ruger Blackhawk.

The S&W was available in three barrel lengths, 4", 6.5" and 8 3/8". The Ruger in three, 6.5", 7.5" and 10".

Ammo was only made by Remington and Winchester in one bullet weight...240 grain lead semi-wadcutter. Velocity was 1400+ fps from a 6.5" barrel.

If you have not tried a full Magnum 240 grain load in a Model 29 4" with original wood Target stocks you will understand after you do...

Today there are worse kicking .44 Magnum loads but "back then" the 240s were bad enough..

Bob
    Sums up the way I remember it...but...later than the '50's...by 20 years!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Ditto on the S&W N frame target grips. They were made for people who can pick up a basket ball with 1 hand, which is not me either. Everybody's paws are different but my Redhawk and SRH's are made for those of us with human hands. There must be a lot of big pawed shooters out there because a used pair of S&W targets stocks requires a mortgage now days. My 629 came with Hogue rubber grips and it is "almost" comfortable with 250 gr boolits at 1050 fps. No doubt the modest velocity has as much to so with that as any grip would.
    As a side note, I've put my hands in Clint Eastwood's handprints in the sidewalk in front of Grauman's Chinese theater in Hollywood and his paws ARE big. My hands looked like kid hands in comparison. Each finger was a full joint shorter than his. So there ya go, the Model 29 was made for Dirty Harry and any less a man can't be expected to handle it properly.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Rem View Post
    As a side note, I've put my hands in Clint Eastwood's handprints in the sidewalk in front of Grauman's Chinese theater in Hollywood and his paws ARE big. My hands looked like kid hands in comparison. Each finger was a full joint shorter than his. So there ya go, the Model 29 was made for Dirty Harry and any less a man can't be expected to handle it properly.
    I guess that's why I like the 29. For gloves XXL are tight on my paws but they will stretch. XXXL's are just right but hard to find. Some XL will stretch but most split as the seams.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post

Bob
    Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!!

The fun goes away in a real hurry with a light gun, or with a less-than-ideal grip shape or material.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor's Daddy View Post
    Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!!

The fun goes away in a real hurry with a light gun, or with a less-than-ideal grip shape or material.
    Again...The Octagon barrel Contender comes Instantly to mind!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345