Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Lee 405 bullet for 45-70...Leading?

Boolit Man

Lee 405 bullet for 45-70...Leading?

While I've molded and hunted with round balls from .25-.75 caliber for my various flintlocks, they have all been shot with a patch which separates the round ball from the rifling so that there is no leading concern. Now that Illinois has allowed straight walled rifle cartridges to be used during the firearm deer season, I'm looking to reload black powder for my CVA Hunter 45-70 and am considering the Lee 405 grain mold. My concern is that leading will be a problem. I have access to lots of lead, most of it coming from a plumber friend. I also have several pounds of Swiss and Goex 2F and 3F powder. Based on what I have, what do I need to do to be able to shoot my 45-70 without leading being a problem? Thanks.

Use soft lead and good BP lube and it won't lead. I shoot gobs of those through my Trapdoor with no problem at all.

Boolit Buddy
    The Lee 405 is a good bullet and I shot a lot of them in an original trapdoor and a long barreled Handi rifle. I never used pure lead but have no problems with a BHN ~10 bullet, sized, and with a heavy coat of tumble lube. Even in the long barrels.

Unless you want to be nostalgic ditch the black powder for hunting and use smokeless. Check but the CVA should be able to take the mid power lever action loads and they can be quite a thumper. For the deer and your shoulder! Work up slow and you will know when to stop.

Boolit Buddy
    Bullet fit, bullet fit and of course...bullet fit! The Lee is a 457 bullet not great in any of my guns(causing inaccuracy and leading. I need 458up to .460 for my individual guns. You may want another mold IF you are going to use BP then you MAY be ok as that will bump the bullet in diameter, however only shooting THAT bullet in that gun will let you know.

Ah, I just realized that Lee makes two 405 grain bullets. One is for smokeless, casts out at .457 or so,takes a gas check, and has tiny lube grooves. That one is useless for black powder. The one you want is the 405HB hollow base copy of the original government bullet. That casts out at .464 or so, has big lube grooves, and works beautifully with black powder.