Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: CF Ventures Wax Gas Check

CF Ventures Wax Gas Check

Has anyone every successfully used the concept that was offered in the CF Venture wax gas check (in straight pistol cartridges)?
    What issue did you have that it "fixed"?

I truly doubt the product itself is available any more, but wouldn't be hard to recreate if a person wanted some.

Boolit Master
    While I did not use it in straight wall pistol cases, I did use it in a303 Brit with a really nasty barrel that was tight in the middle and loose on both ends. It did resolve the gas blow by that resulted in barrel leading significantly in that particular arm.

I have not experienced the issue, but it would be good to try it in a revolver where the cylinder throats are the same or slightly smaller than the groove diameter of the barrel. I suspect it would depend upon the hardness of the alloy being plastic enough to expand under pressure or not.

Boolit Master

I tried them back in the 70's I think.... Didn't show me much.
    Put them in a wooden chest and found them years latter and
    found the mice had got to them..... the mice loved them.

Vendor Sponsor

I got a sheet or two of them as a door prize. Hot pink/red and kinda like waxy dough. Just pressed them out over the case mouth to cut them and then push them in while seating the bullet. I really didn't have a leading issue in the 45-70 rounds I loaded them in, so I did not see a change and never used the rest. It wasn't much of a test on my part. Not a fair assessment. I use LDPE wads now under plain base BPCR bullets. The wax GC wads (BPCR) may have been a good application for them.
    Chill Wills

Thanks for the replies -- I tried them when I first started loading cast bullets some 30+ years ago, and in my ignorance didn't see why I wanted to continue. To be honest, I was loading purchased bullets then, and they all leaded in my revolver at the time. I thought then that '...lack of leading...' meant that it didn't take days to get out... (sarchasm!)

Now, I think that this type of GC/Wad might be a good aid/crutch for a lube deficient bullet, a bore/throat issue like 'Dusty Bannister' describes, or even other problems I can think of.

As a side note, glad to have lost a lot of my ignorance too (comes with work, one type or another...), and thinking I might now want a sheet or two.

Any more things this type of wax wad 'fixed' for you, do tell.

IMHO just an extra lube 'groove' to get blown past the base.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Most of the older caster's have tired them and with the same results. No noticeable difference

I think they're out of business now. Funny you mention it, I found a full box of them I got in an estate sale box years ago, there were 18 of the original 20 in there. I think I tried one, then set them aside and they just resurfaced.

I tossed them.

Boolit Master
    Too bad ya tossed them, a friend uses them in his old Springfield's under the 30 cal cast bullets. Makes the youngsters look to see what he is shooting when they are all shooting jacketed bullets.

I don't know about the formula for the CF Ventures, but it does sound kind of like the grease wads recommended for BP use. I make them out of wool felt saturated with BP lube and cut out with a hole punch.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    Some folks seem to think it is dental wax, but the maker said that is not it. I had some red wax in a jewelry kit but that is not the same thing either.

Boolit Master

Handloader ad

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4E9D41D8-150C-4380-B20A-8012F83E5C72.jpeg 
Views:	110 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	321360

Last ad 2010

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6778F823-B737-476C-8405-92DE411AEA94.jpeg 
Views:	109 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	321361

Boolit Master
    I really thought they had been marketed a long time after 2010, but I know they were available until 2018 which is the date on my last box. I suspect that the biggest failure was failing to follow the instructions.

I ran across a box of them a few years back from the local gunsmith. I asked about them here, and a member messaged me with interest to so I passed them along. I thought it was neat as heck.

Does anyone know what happened to the company/folks that made them?
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    I really thought they had been marketed a long time after 2010, but I know they were available until 2018 which is the date on my last box. I suspect that the biggest failure was failing to follow the instructions.
    2010 was just their last ad in Handloader when I did a search of all the magazines, I have know idea when or if they went out of business.

Boolit Buddy
    I had used them and almost forgot that leading was removed from a .357 revolver with these wax wads. A gun writer friend, R.H. VanDenburg, sent me an envelope full. He swore by them.