Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Remington R51 third iteration

Boolit Grand Master

Remington R51 third iteration

Several years ago I bought this pistol just because I could get it for $300 with three magazines, and I like the unusual. It is the only 9mm that I own. I have been playing with it for a while on and off with major problems with failure to feed.

Today I went to the range, fired just over 100 rounds with not a single failure! This will be the 500 through 600 rounds through this pistol. I guess it just needed a through break in period.

Needless to say, I am pleased. This was the third time Remington re-issued this pistol, btw. That's why I was willing to give it a chance.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

glad it worked out for you - now with Remington bankruptcy i doubt if the new owners will honor any problems that arise with it -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Grand Master

With all the problems they had with that gun I never expected any help from them, anyway! They were initially quite proud of it, then kept trying, and then went quiet and backed off.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I'm just glad I still have my 1922 P51 - it, and my .380 Browning Model 1955, are stand-out pocket pistols.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

I have a last-generation R51 and I'm happy to say I've had zero failures to function when using good factory ammo. I say good ammo, as I saw at least one EweTube video where the author was happily denouncing the Remington for not functioning with the cheapest imported steel-cased junk on the market.
    I bought some decent holsters and plenty of spare magazines for it and carried it for a couple of years.
    I've since switched to a Sig P365 which holds more, weighs less, and is a neck of a lot easier to disassemble for cleaning; but I still have the R51 in reserve.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought one of the later versions and am quite pleased with it. I took a page from Wil From Waco, who stated he had manually worked the slide on his hundreds of times to help break in his gun and found that cured his malfunction problems. I spent a few weeks cranking the slide 2-300 times a day and save for the very first magazine, I have had no malfunctions with brass cased ammo.

I don't have a very high round count, the COVID ammo crunch hit at that time, and I reserved most of my ammo for practice with guns that I actually carried, but I ran through 4 boxes of PMC and Winchester White Box one week end with no bobbles. It is a major pain to disassemble, but there is/was a YouTube video that really helped.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

I bought one of the later 'updated' versions. I don't shoot it much, preferring to keep it pristine, but it has had no issues.