WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attempted pan lubing , no clue what I was doing

Attempted pan lubing , no clue what I was doing

With basically no clue what I was doing I mean I saw a video and read a few articles before but that's about it. But always seem simple enough
    Yeah threw three sticks of white label 2500 lube in a lil $10 crock pot I bought let them melt down . Then stood some bullets up in a little candy tin and used a turkey baster to transfer the luber over and fill it up to the top driving bad. Let them cool and I just plucked them out but wiggling then a little. Then just gas checked and sized them like normal. Think I did this semi correctly. It is a little messy but pretty easy imo. Tried using a 357 case as a cutter but that dint work out too well

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

They look good to me. Next time try putting them in the freezer for a little while.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Banned

If your bullets are 30 caliber try using an 8MM or 32 cal case to cut them out.

Boolit Master
    Looks pretty darn good to me!
    Well done!!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Ahhh,,, welcome home.

I thought you'd gotten tricked into that powder coating fad.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Looks like you got it. Next time you go to do some put them in the holes and used a heat gun to melt the lube again. I do this most of the time just adding more lube as needed.

Heres a link on kake cutters too.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-Cutter-Photos
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Banner Sponsor

Looks great to me

Nice looking bullets.

When I pan lube, I use a round cake pan. To start, I'll stand the bullets up and pour melted lube over them. Pop them in the oven on 200 for about 15-20 minutes. The purpose is to heat the bullets. Then when they come out I let them cool to almost room temperature, and the "cake" of lube and bullets will pop right out. Then you can push the bullets out of the lube. Put the cake back in the tin, stand more bullets in the holes, repeat.

Heating the bullets helps the lube to stay in the grooves. I never found the need to use a cake cutter, though I've experimented with one.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Drill the primer pocket out so you can push the boolit out.

Boolit Master
    My wife watched me doing this and gifted me her old spring form pan. Game changer. I set them all up and pour in the lube. Let it harden and pop the rim off of the pan. The bullets push right out, put the pan back together and lather - rinse - repeat.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Look at the gas check shanks in the photo. It looks like the gas checks are at different heights. Is that just the picture or is something going on?

Boolit Master
    Suggestions: Use a flat bottom pie pan with a smooth layer of aluminum foil on the bottom and sides. After the lube congeals put it in the 'fridge for about 30 minutes. Remove from pie pan, peel off foil, and push the bullets downward onto a towel.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Try a fired steel 7.62x54R case. See if will just slip over the bullets. If so, use a case mouth chamfer tool to sharpen the case mouth. Drill out the primer with a bit larger than the bullet to let the bullets drop out. The rim still provides comfort to the hand. Make an excellent 'cake cutter".
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I used a .30-06 case and cut out one side of it for bullets to drop out. Fired case, camfer inside.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I used a .30-06 case and cut out one side of it for bullets to drop out. Fired case, camfer inside.
    I used to just hacksaw the case head off and let the bullets push themselves out like a LEE push through sizer.

Boolit Master
    405grain mentioned it, but the OP has not replied. I had mentioned it in a PM last night. It does look like there is a large gap between the gas check and the bottom driving band on a few of those bullets. Perhaps someone can say for sure, but I would think that when fired in a rifle, the check would press the grease before the bullet moved and could create an issue in the throat of the rifle. Heck of a place to ring a barrel.

gas checks aren't seated uniformly
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Boolit Master
    Dip lube. Get the lube melted and dip the boolits in, set them off onto a paper towel to cool. You'll have a lot more lube on the bottom end of your sizing die as you process them but it's a LOT quicker than letting them sit in the pan to cool, etc.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    You've done well pilgrim. Before installing the gas checks wipe the bullet base to make sure there is no lube on it that way your checks should be uniformly installed.

Boolit Master
    BTDT. Once the lube melts and your bullets are in place, turn off the heat and allow everything to cool. Place the pan in the freezer for a couple of hours, and then take it out. The entire cake of lube and bullets should be easy to separate from the pan then. Wearing leather gloves (to protect your fingers), press the bullets out from the bottom of the lube cake. Put the lube cake back in the pan and fill the empty holes with fresh, unlubed bullets, and repeat.

A pie pan (NOT a cake pan - pie pans are tapered at the bottom, which you want) from Walmart or the Thrift Store will be easier to use than what you currently have.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast