Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Addiction sign #1: 5 gal pail in the car

Boolit Master

Addiction sign #1: 5 gal pail in the car

I haven't been into casting for long, but have taken the first step and admitted that I am powerless over lead.

I carry a 5 gal pail tied down in the pick up truck bed, and have a couple in the trunk of the car, just in case.

My vehicle seems to have a mind of it's own and makes sudden turns into parking lots of businesses that are know to have lead.

I have cast boolits after my wife has gone to bed, just so she won't notice this addiction (however, she is on to me).

I'm afraid I may come home to an intervention someday...

Anyone else have symptoms?

Randy

Boolit Buddy
    I have a steel 5 gallon bucket in the trunk of my car!
    I'm not addicted!

Does the fact my wife has started calling me Boolit Man mean I might have a problem? The other day she asked me "Why do you need all these bullets?". I told her since I have lots of free time right now, why not do a whole season's worth? She bought it. I think she is an enabler
    "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. " - Thomas Jefferson

"Mankind will in time discover that unbridled majorities are as tyrannical and cruel as unlimited despots." - John Adams

Boolit Master

Mine says, "Why do you need all these bullets?" or "Why do you need all those guns?"

Must be a basic need carried in the DNA...

Thumbs up Slow Elk 45/70

Yes, you have IT, and IT is addictive, intervention only makes the urges worse,
    Trust me I've had it for 40+ years, it only gets worse...good luck..S.L.45/70

In Remebrance

Not only did I carry 5 gal buckets in my truck, I carried them in my work van to and stopped often to pick another 5 gal bucket up off the roadside. "Oh look, the fat old Trooper is cleaning up the roadsides! How thoughtful of him!" HAR! Little did they know my diabolical plan was proceeding nicely. I did stop short of removing WW from the trucks I was inspecting, but the thought did cross my mind.

I still find WW's that have been spilled around my yard. The kids are trained to pick them up, along with any nuts, bolts, nails they find. Little buggers are good at it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    Not only did I carry 5 gal buckets in my truck, I carried them in my work van to and stopped often to pick another 5 gal bucket up off the roadside. "Oh look, the fat old Trooper is cleaning up the roadsides! How thoughtful of him!" HAR! Little did they know my diabolical plan was proceeding nicely. I did stop short of removing WW from the trucks I was inspecting, but the thought did cross my mind.
    One day I was cruising down m-28 with my riding buddy at well over the legal limit. Next thing he knows I slam on the brakes, whip a u-turn and tear back east. He catches up to me and finds me standing in the middle of the road holding up a huge truck wheel weight, that sucker musta weighed a couple ounces. At that point he knew I was nutz....

Boolit Master

My wife has gotten to the point that she will not let me drive anywhere, she does the driving. I can spot a WW laying on the pavement while driving at 60+ mph. I guess she got tired of my slamming on the breaks and pulling over in the ditch to jump out and pick them up. I still carry a five gal bucket in the back of the truck and have a good number of tire shops saving WWs for me once again now that the bottom has dropped out of the lead market.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master
    You are not really addicted until you come home with "fives" ........ two by two!

Three 44s

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by redneckdan View Post
    One day I was cruising down m-28 with my riding buddy at well over the legal limit. Next thing he knows I slam on the brakes, whip a u-turn and tear back east. He catches up to me and finds me standing in the middle of the road holding up a huge truck wheel weight, that sucker musta weighed a couple ounces. At that point he knew I was nutz....
    Do you mean everybody doesn't do that. I thought that was the reason for the breaks in the median.
    I once ran over an extension ladder, in my lane, (didn't see it) but I can spot a WW on the other side of the 4 lane. The ladder was useless, and I am addicted to even little wheel weights.

In Remembrance

Boyoboy, this thread sure makes me feel better!! I thought I was the only lead-prepper with buckets in his truck!
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Master

Thumbs up Feed the Fever!

I have driven 85 miles (one way) to a buddies house (who was moving cross country) to get his wheel weights before he left- he gave me 10 five gallon buckets full and I put them in the rear of the wife's Windstar. If I had not taken the family with me for counter ballast I would not have made it back home- the front wheels barely touched the road and I had lot's of play in the steering. Luckily, I had enough contact for forward motion, too.

Yes, it is a sickness.
    Starve a cold, feed a fever- FEED THE FEVER.
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    I purchased a small lot of 5gal buckets at the discount house and put my Name & Phone# on them with instructions to call when full.

Then all I do is swap out buckets when I go get my weights.

The Name & # makes a good reminder for the flunkies that it's not a trash bucket.
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Boolit Master
    Its not an addiction, unless you hang out with others that have the same problems.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Sometimes View Post
    buddies he gave me 10 five gallon buckets
    Starve a cold, feed a fever- FEED THE FEVER.
    That my friend is a great buddy

I went to Laughlin, NV over the weekend, and took the opportunity to scrounge at about 10 different tire shops. 8 of them said no, but 2 said yes .

I got these all for free.

50lbs stick ons, 85lbs and 65lbs clip ons (after sorting).

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by home in oz View Post
    Mine says, "Why do you need all these bullets?" or "Why do you need all those guns?"
    My wife says, "When are you going to buy some more guns?" and "Will you reload me up some more of those fun loads for the little .38?" (She has several)

Couple of months ago, she asked me to get some stuff out of the trunk of her car--told me it was too heavy for her.

I went out, opened the trunk and found two five-gallon buckets half-full of wheel weights. A friend of hers is a shadetree mechanic and has his own little shop. He'd been collecting them for years and gave them to her.

Can't remember NOT having a five-gallon heavy-duty bucket in the back of my truck. . .

Boolit Master

I have been taking some coffee cans whenever I go to the range. My plan is to ALWAYS bring back more lead than I brought. There was several years there that need made up for.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

I stopped at a tire shop last week about 140 miles from home, and found 2 - 5 gal buckets of ww's. The guy would not give them away and I was on a tight schedule with no cash, so I had to pass. I dreamed of those ww's all week and through the weekend. Today I found my way back to town and the ww's were still there. He remembered me and we talked and agreed on a price. About 500# of ww's are now safe and secure.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire_stick View Post
    I stopped at a tire shop last week about 140 miles from home, and found 2 - 5 gal buckets of ww's. The guy would not give them away and I was on a tight schedule with no cash, so I had to pass. I dreamed of those ww's all week and through the weekend. Today I found my way back to town and the ww's were still there. He remembered me and we talked and agreed on a price. About 500# of ww's are now safe and secure.

How big are the five gallon buckets some of you get, that hold 250# of WW's? None I have ever seen will weigh that much, by about 100#.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast