Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keeping stuff safe

Boolit Mold
    All good ideas. The property in question is 90 acres, so I will just shoot outside. The area also has no zoning, or building inspections so I’m told. I too have a wolf Shepard. Had several healers too. When I was single and worked nites the dogs stayed outside unless to cold. It was some comfort as the Shepard is intimidating. He’s old now and just stays inside. The B&E’s are happening more and more, especially the daytime variety. I have caught 3 in my LE career, makes for a fun nite.

Boolit Master

Crime is up do what you can afford and think is right, get a backhoe too if SHTF you may need it!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    Lots of good points. I like deception first. You may need to consider a building permit. That means everybody now knows about your underground blockhouse. Tell them it's a storm shelter. You might want to look into precast storm shelters or cement septic tanks. You might find a drop in solution and tunnel them in after the codes guy is gone. Otherwise, leave an old shot gun or 22 out where it can be grab easily. Not for you, but the thieves.
    Bait guns, I like that...
    My friend leaves an old wallet on every dresser in every bedroom.
    Those (old/worn) wallets contain some old-expired credit cards with the names scratched out, gift cards, anything that looks like a credit card, and a couple of $10 bills on the outside of a stack of 10+ one-dollar bills.
    He figures any smash and grab dirt bags will find those wallets, be happy with them and leave.
    Me, I'm not so sure, but a cheap alternative non the less.

Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Those folks are hard to catch, and when they are, they usually don't get much prison time.
    Most don't want, or even own a gun.

Their crime is non-violent, and nobody gets hurt or even threatened.
    An armed robber may get 20 years in a high security place.
    Attacking safe with 2-3 million dollars worth of stuff in it, they may only get 3-4 years in a low security prison.
    I think 3-4 years is what he got. He got caught because one of his crew got caught for something else and flipped on him.

Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    I think 3-4 years is what he got. He got caught because one of his crew got caught for something else and flipped on him.
    That fits.

I've seen idiots get sent up the river to more or less grow old and die in prison for robbing a gas station
    that netted them $20-odd dollars.

Then a crook who didn't know one end of a gun from the other,
    get caught with more money than they could carry only get a few years.
    They had attacked a safe in the middle of the night and no one else was around.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Bub
    I have similar rural property to what your describing with plans to build during retirement. With that said, cameras of various types can be your eyes and ears while your away. Wireless signals can be scrambled but good old-fashioned hidden game cameras can back up the other cameras. My point that security is best performed in layers. Time is on your side....Make it a hardened target with no pre-emptive notice so as to not draw attention.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shell knob View Post
    Posting in this section bc it kinda applies. Wife n I are going to build new house in rural area. I have always been worried about some low life’s breaking in when I’m gone. My safe is just a “home containment container”, aka liberty safe. I worked part time in the trades about 20 yrs, framing,roofing,siding HVAC,and electrical, while full time now retired LEO. I was thinking flexcore concrete in part of the garage to create a room below with access thru basement with a safe door, with a Murphy door or bookcase hiding safe door I think the doors are more secure than a safe. All walls, ceiling and floor would be concrete. Big enough area to display clean and work on guns, set up reloading area, and display some mounts,store hunting gear etc. I might add recently burglars were scrambling home security systems with some sort of jammer disabling Wi-Fi and alarms.
    I think this would be a better system than a plain old safe. Thoughts?
    You do not say how large a property ? For me I have two Great Pyrenees; guard dogs; larger property a few dogs; GPs know everything going on, on the property and will alert; if you do not belong there they will alert; no getting around them; other than killing them;

Boolit Mold
    Property is 90 acres w/3 sides national Forrest. Daughter had Great Pyrenees it jumped thru a window to go after someone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12