Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Lee 356-120TC + HP38 Range Results

Lee 356-120TC + HP38 Range Results

I took my first run of the Lee 356-120TC Boolits for a test drive today. The alloy is range scrap water dropped after PC. They are sized to .357 and loaded to a COL of 1.057. They plunk and cycle in my Glock 19, 43x, and Sig P356XL. All groups were shot on a rest at 15yd (5 shot groups) and speeds measured with a LabRadar. Below are the results:

Glock 19 Gen 5, factory barrel, Trijicon RMR
    - 2.9gr HP38: 835 fps avg, 14 SD. Did not cycle the action, only fired 3 shots.
    - 3.2 gr HP38: 913 fps avg, 27 SD. Cycled action, no slide lock, very moderate recoil.
    - 3.5 gr HP38: 1003 fps avg, 25 SD. Cycled action with slide lock
    - 3.8 gr HP38: 1035 fps avg, 3.1 SD
    - 4.1 gr HP38: 1087 fps avg, 2.9 SD. Slightly snappy recoil

Glock 43x Gen 5, factory barrel, iron sights
    - 2.9gr HP38: 811 fps avg, 21 SD. Cycled action with slide lock
    - 3.2 gr HP38: 894 fps avg, 17 SD. Nice feeling recoil
    - 3.5 gr HP38: 951 fps avg, 18 SD
    - 3.8 gr HP38: 1006 fps avg, 18 SD. Snappy recoil
    - 4.1 gr HP38: 1052 fps avg, 11 SD. Snappy recoil

No leading to report in the G19, very very very slight amounts in the G43x towards the muzzle. Both barrels slug at .355". Hopefully this report helps someone out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both of my 9 mmers love hp-38/W231. They like 4.0 grs. with that boolet and 4.2 grs. with the LEE 124 gr. round nose.

ACC

WSF fan here…….Same mold, same pistol. Running right at 1100fps. All my Glock 9’s slug .356; two Gen3, one Gen 4. Size to .357. Melt is 11.3 BHN with zero leading. Boolits are powder coated.

How do these results compare to jacketed projectiles in these guns?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    How do these results compare to jacketed projectiles in these guns?
    For the G19, most of my hand loads with jacketed or plated 147gn projectiles (which is my norm) group similar to the 3.2 load. I don’t have results to compare with the 43x as I haven’t shot it for small groups on paper. I normally shoot it at steel with it being a carry gun.

Last edited by pdgoutdoors; 12-15-2023 at 11:31 AM.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    No problem, I have the target from my 147gr jacketed test I’ll find and post for you when I get home from work.

Boolit Master
    @pdgoutdoors: Thank you for the information in your post! I use a similar projectile, though I tend to not use W231/HP38 very much, I use other propellants with similar burning rates. This gives me an idea of what to expect with them.
    I find the drop in sd from double digits to very low single digits in your Glock19 G5 quite remarkable. It is difficult to improve on that kind of uniformity. The top two loads would seem made to order for IDPA or USPSA competition, if you do that sort of thing.
    Judging from the Hodgdon.com site and my reloading manuals, it looks like you could have gone beyond 4.2/HP38/120 gr. TC. Did you stop there, because you obtained your desired velocity? Or perhaps to minimize leading, from higher velocities?
    If you develop chronograph results for 147 gr. projectiles using HP38, I would be most interested in hearing about them.
    Job well done, Sir!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    @pdgoutdoors: Thank you for the information in your post! I use a similar projectile, though I tend to not use W231/HP38 very much, I use other propellants with similar burning rates. This gives me an idea of what to expect with them.
    I find the drop in sd from double digits to very low single digits in your Glock19 G5 quite remarkable. It is difficult to improve on that kind of uniformity. The top two loads would seem made to order for IDPA or USPSA competition, if you do that sort of thing.
    Judging from the Hodgdon.com site and my reloading manuals, it looks like you could have gone beyond 4.2/HP38/120 gr. TC. Did you stop there, because you obtained your desired velocity? Or perhaps to minimize leading, from higher velocities?
    If you develop chronograph results for 147 gr. projectiles using HP38, I would be most interested in hearing about them.
    Job well done, Sir!
    Thanks man, my primary goal with 9mm reloads is to find the most accurate load that has the softest recoil yet makes power factor. I shoot a lot of USPSA and steel challenge so I am not going for velocity as much as control.

I am trying to find a load that fits the above description to mimic something I would shoot in matches to use as a cheaper training ammo. I plan to do the same tests with tite group and CFE pistol.

I have many crono and group results with 147gr jacketed bullets. I’ll be happy to share them via PM with you as I do not want to take away from the forums purpose (CB’s).

Boolit Master
    Please, by all means, PM me! Please also accept my thanks in advance!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!