Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Mod. 115 crossman pistol

Boolit Bub

Mod. 115 crossman pistol

I hope I don’t irritate anyone, but I have not found an answer for this. What pressure were the old co2 charge tanks filled to? At present I do not have a tank as it was lost back in 1968, and I would like to find a modern fill tank. The gun most likely will need a rebuild that comes in time if I can charge it. Thanks for any and all thoughts!
    Graysmoke

Boolit Master
    CO2 will be in the liquid state in the fill tank. The pressure is the vapor pressure of CO2, so it mainly varies with the temperature you store the tank at. You fill a CO2 tank until you can't get anymore in there.

When you fill your gun, you can't overpressurize it.

The pressure in a CO2 tank is a constant if it was filled with liquid CO2 instead of vapor.

It works like a butane lighter.
    The pressure is constant and determined by temp. until all the liquid boils off.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

As a new CO2 pistol owner, I also wondered about that.

My Google search says that at 68F the vapor pressure is 840 PSI.

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Bub
    Thanks very much, I was wondering how some fill from scuba tanks. I guess it is just vapor but some tanks like oxygen tanks are up to 2000 psi may be kinda scary I don’t know if those tanks are that high.
    Graysmoke

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

I also have SCUBA (PCP) air pistols.

You fill the gun cylinder from the SCUBA tank via an adapter.

Most new PCP pistol cylinders have pressure gauges on the end of the cylinder so you can monitor the fill pressure.

SCUBA is merely highly compressed air that is filtered to remove dirt and water.

SCUBA tanks vary in pressure capacity. I have one that is 4500 PSI when filled. I have a second one that is 3300 PSI.

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Bub
    fc60,
    That was my concern if the co2 is at 840 then no matter there be a gage when you open the valve on the (we’ll say scuba tank ) it hits the 2000psi instantly which probably over pressure the pistol. I do not believe the gun was ever made to stand that especially if it was developed for the 840 psi. Which is vapor pressure. As a youngster I didn’t care if I charged it up or down getting vapor or liquid just got the pop and went shooting.
    Graysmoke

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Graysmoke View Post
    I hope I don’t irritate anyone, but I have not found an answer for this. What pressure were the old co2 charge tanks filled to? At present I do not have a tank as it was lost back in 1968, and I would like to find a modern fill tank. The gun most likely will need a rebuild that comes in time if I can charge it. Thanks for any and all thoughts!
    Graysmoke
    Your best bet would be to talk directly with Crossman on any rebuild and adaptors that can be had ??
    Depending on cost of rebuild ? a new compressed air gun may be cheaper ? A one pump or compressed ? and you will not need to secure a Co2 dealer ?

IMHO you would be better off with compressed air other than C02.. You can hand pump air ? Co2 is all specialized equipment and supply.... there are competition quality one pump air guns available for not much money. In other countries Co2 has been deemed hazardous and not allowed..

Boolit Bub
    BLAHUT, I understand what you said,
    I was looking to revive an old toy that sits in my locker. I have contacted crossman with sorry we can not help it’s to old. Maybe I can pump it up with air and use it….who knows.
    Thanks for all the ideas!
    Graysmoke

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Graysmoke View Post
    Graysmoke
    You might want to get with some paintball gun types. Paint ball guns use larger type CO2 tanks. They use both one time use and refillable tanks that are much larger than the CO2 cartridges used in typical bb and pellet guns. Academy here used to refill CO2 tanks for paint ball guns. Have not been there in a while so I don't know if they still do. I had a paint ball gun and used disposable cylinders with an adapter that connected just like the refillable kind. Everyone else already told you that CO2 is a liquid at 800 or so psi depending on temperature, if it is meant for CO2 and you use CO2 you don't need to worry about the pressure.

Pictures of the old tank/pressure port would be helpful.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides