WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 358-429 versions

Boolit Mold

358-429 versions

I have the Arsenal version, but I hadn’t much luck with accuracy.
    I like to try the other mold company’s
    Just wondering what other people had luck with.
    Some live sex cam sites have a social aspect, with chat rooms and forums for viewers to connect and discuss their shared interests.

https://asiancamgirls.me/chat/cherrycreme
    https://feetcam.net/mature
    https://asiancamgirls.me/chat/tatiana_lopez19

I have had good results with the MP 358429 aluminum 8 cavity and brass 4 cavity hollow points, both plain based.

I have an older Lyman version. It hasn't been as accurate as my .357-150 Keith in my .38 Special. I have read that it needs to be pushed faster in an S & W? I haven't given up yet. hc18flyer

Boolit Master
    I have the Lyman version from about thirty-five years ago along with the Lyman #358439 HP version from the '60s. Both shoot well, but I think the HP may be slightly more accurate. I prefer the H&G #51 SWC at about 160 grs.
    Last edited by lotech; 12-14-2023 at 08:39 AM.

There could be other reasons for your accuracy issues, would you care to share your as cast dimensions, weights and other statistics like load info, etc? To be honest, Keith designs haven't been the most accurate for me either, but I do have them because there are some situations where they're still an excellent choice.

Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    I have an older Lyman version. It hasn't been as accurate as my .357-150 Keith in my .38 Special. I have read that it needs to be pushed faster in an S & W? I haven't given up yet. hc18flyer
    That little 150 gr Keith is hands down the most accurate boolit I ever shot in a 38/357 in 45 years. I have an Accurate Molds 160 gr that is a close 2nd but every gun I owned and a lot of others have took a big time shine to that boolit. The 173 has to be accurate for some people so I;m not going to bash it but my heavy boolit results have been better with the LBT 180 gr.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master
    IME, the 358-429 was never quite as accurate as it was claimed to be. The 358-477, the 38-150 KT as well as the 358-311 all did better for me. Not to say it was a stinker--like the 357-446-- but it would generally print groups a half inch or more larger.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by LucasL View Post
    I haven't had much luck with the Lyman 358429 either . I was interested in this Elmer Keith design and found a single cavity mould on ebay to test ... and I tested the heck out of it and was quite disappointed with accuracy ... I don't think it is the maker but maybe the design , maybe the weight / length of the boolit design isn't optimal ???
    I get much better accuracy with boolits of 160 gr. / 158 gr.

The Most Accurate loads I have come up with use the strange WC / SWC hybrid Lyman #358432 boolit , now discontinued but being made by NOE ,
    NOE #360-160-WC PB (360432)... this is a 160 gr boolit that loads out the case like a SWC but has a WC nose . Not seen very often now but a very accurate boolit !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    LucasL welcome aboard.
    Good question.
    My experience with Lyman 358429 173 gr Keith type SWC has been poor groups unless driven hard. Then it almost gets decent.

I think it’s the worst in the slow twist S&W 1:18.75” revolvers.
    It’s a little better in the Blackhawk 1:16” twist but still not wonderful.

I mostly shoot full wadcutters in my 35 caliber revolvers. I usually push them fast as in full throttle. They make good groups (under 50 yards) and smack stuff real hard.

I suggest you try a full wadcutter or at least move to a shorter (lighter) SWC.
    If you shoot good enough to see the Aresnal version of 358429 is a problem, I’d expect you’d be equally unhappy with anyone else’s version because they are just too long for 18.75” twist barrels.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Honestly, they have worked very well indeed for me in 38/44 loads in 38 Spl cases. It's almost like they were designed for that use

I'm interested in the design progression of the 358429. I only have 1 version on BulletMatch, it's and Ideal with a round lube groove. I'd really love to have an original with square grooves for comparison, and do a study on the design. Lyman has gone back to square grooves for the 358429. I wonder if one version was more accurate than the other?

BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Moderator Emeritus

Lucas,
    Welcome to the forum.
    I have a NOE version, but it is a hollow point, I do have the flat point pins, but never cast any. It has shoot OK for me in my revolvers, but with a HP, there is less mass on the nose.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I completely forgot to say howdy!

Howdy and welcome to cb.gl forum!

Lead Alloy Calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I'm interested in the design progression of the 358429. I only have 1 version on BulletMatch, it's and Ideal with a round lube groove. I'd really love to have an original with square grooves for comparison, and do a study on the design. Lyman has gone back to square grooves for the 358429. I wonder if one version was more accurate than the other?
    Originals from the 1920s are rare indeed. If I read my Keith correctly, the production molds differed from the prototypes that Keith originally ordered. Keith mentioned that when Ideal/Lyman started cataloging his design that the went to the rounded grease groove and reduced the diameter of the front driving band, What he didn't specify was if these changes took place with the initial production, or if it was done as a running change later on. Also, the original Keith molds would have dated back to the late 1920s and so would have been the old style single cavity designs with one-piece handles. The interchangeable block system dates back to the 1940s so if someone has un-vented Keith designs that aren't one piece they're probably a re-release or special run of some sort. I have two nearly identical SC 358429 un-vented molds, one has a round groove and the other is square. To further confound things Ideals manuals and handbooks from the late 40s and early 50s show pictures of 358429 with square grooves only. Finding a fully original 358429 from the thirties would be the coup of a lifetime. The 358429 first showed up in Ideal manuals in 1931 so anything is possible, but it looks like they were cut in the one-piece mold design.

Quote Originally Posted by 20:1 View Post
    Originals from the 1920s are rare indeed. If I read my Keith correctly, the production molds differed from the prototypes that Keith originally ordered. Keith mentioned that when Ideal/Lyman started cataloging his design that the went to the rounded grease groove and reduced the diameter of the front driving band, What he didn't specify was if these changes took place with the initial production, or if it was done as a running change later on. Also, the original Keith molds would have dated back to the late 1920s and so would have been the old style single cavity designs with one-piece handles. The interchangeable block system dates back to the 1940s so if someone has un-vented Keith designs that aren't one piece they're probably a re-release or special run of some sort. I have two nearly identical SC 358429 un-vented molds, one has a round groove and the other is square. To further confound things Ideals manuals and handbooks from the late 40s and early 50s show pictures of 358429 with square grooves only. Finding a fully original 358429 from the thirties would be the coup of a lifetime. The 358429 first showed up in Ideal manuals in 1931 so anything is possible, but it looks like they were cut in the one-piece mold design.
    Wow, thank you for the information.

Lead Alloy Calculator

Quote Originally Posted by 20:1 View Post
    Wow, thank you for the information.

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Buddy
    I have an H&G 4 cavity mold from the 1960's in their version of the 358429. I've loaded and shot thousands of them in a 4" model 10, 4" model 19, 4.625" BH, and 6" BH over 5.0 grains of Unique. Maybe not THE most accurate load or bullet, but it has handled everything I've run into for over 40 years. Disclaimer - no elephants, rhinos, grizzly bears, or mastadons were encountered by me when packing my lowly 38 special loads.

Quote Originally Posted by curiousgeorge View Post
    I have an H&G 4 cavity mold from the 1960's in their version of the 358429. I've loaded and shot thousands of them in a 4" model 10, 4" model 19, 4.625" BH, and 6" BH over 5.0 grains of Unique. Maybe not THE most accurate load or bullet, but it has handled everything I've run into for over 40 years. Disclaimer - no elephants, rhinos, grizzly bears, or mastadons were encountered by me when packing my lowly 38 special loads.
    One thing about all things Kiethian, be it Elmers advice, or his designs. Everything works as described, it may not be the current "best" design, but it does perform as described. Elmer claimed his designs were accurate, they are, there have been newer developments since 1928 such as some of the RNFP designs. I particularly appreciate Veral Smiths LBT designs myself. I also appreciate Ray Thompsons & Hensley & Gibbs work as well. If you have an H&G 43 I hope you cherish it.

I currently own just the NOE version. On my last Lyman, the leading edge of the front driving band was radiused. The NOE looks very similar to the pictures I have seen of the original. It does seem to do better pushed a little hard and my Rugers do shoot a bit it better than the S&Ws but the latter give acceptable accuracy. Out of my 7 1/2" Ruger Bisley the 358429 on top of a heavy load of H110 shoots really, really good and hits hard, Plinking at longer ranges (200-300+ yds) accuracy holds up very well

I have a Lyman 4c and havent shot them very much but they seem ok and get an orange color now. My 1959 Uberti quickly showed it was really happy. Would have to get up and see if .38 or .357. Crimped where it should even if shaving .030 or whatever off .357 cases.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast