Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Win 231 compared to WinClean 244

Win 231 compared to WinClean 244

I am running low on Win 231\ HP38. I really like it for low power 38 Special and 45 Colt. I cannot find it on the shelf at local suppliers, but I can find WinClean 244.

Has anyone used this powder for light plinking loads? It’s available and the price is right.

Thanks,
    Sam Sackett

Boolit Master
    I have used 244 and really like it. It’s very much like 231 in regard to metering. I’m a long time user of 231 but may convert exclusively to 244

Used 244 in 357 with 158 gr lswc. Maximum load is light. Ok in 9mm Luger, also. Its not a powder for maximum velocity.

I have 10 pounds i bought on sale for $25 per pound & free Hasmat. Going to use in 38,357,44,45acp & 9mm.
    1 powder to do all....

Boolit Buddy
    You guys got my attention, I was just thinking about 244 I'll need powder soon. Thanks

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    ON PAPER, it looks like a slightly slower-burning, version of W231, which may make it a bit more versatile. I would GUESS that W244 would probably do everything that W231 will, plus a coupla things. IF W244 catches hold, we may see W231/HP38 getting d/c'd (in the true tradition of many Winchester propellants) before long.
    Assuming equal availability and price/lb., I don't think W244 will replace the 10+ pounds of Alliant/Hercules Unique that I have. If I had to suddenly replace it, for some reason, I would not consider W244 a candidate. I'd look more closely at Alliant Herco, Power Pistol, BE-86, or AA#5.
    As a replacement for W231, it ought to be just fine.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    Look for the thread same powder different name! It’s active today. It list equivalent powders
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Poppy42, I don’t think there is an equivalent to Win 244. It is a fairly new powder, formulated to be more environmentally friendly to make and supposedly clean burning. I am asking if anyone has USED this powder and can comment on their experience.

Boolit Master
    I have substituted the 244 for Unique in .45 Colt. It seems to perform as well as Unique.