Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Rifle Slugs From Swage Dies?

Rifle Slugs From Swage Dies?

Hey all. Anyone have experience Swaging lead slugs in Swage dies with smaller metplat made for jacket projectiles? I've seen examples of pure lead from my .264 dies from Corbin but I'd be afraid of the ejection pin pushing right through the lead and sticking that slug in the point form die. Anyone have good or bad experiences trying this out of curiosity?

Boolit Master
    I've done it, just make sure to lube the lead slug first. Just go slow adjusting the die until you get a fully formed bullet otherwise you may push lead up into the ejection pin hole.

Interesting. The example I had gotten shows the lead that's definitely flowed up into the ejection hole. What calibers have you done all lead rifle slugs in?

Boolit Master
    It's ok if it flows up a little. I've done 224 and 358 but I only did it to check the die for smoothness and dimensions. Definitely not to shoot for me. Not sure what your intentions are on this?
    Last edited by MIBULLETS; 12-12-2023 at 09:21 PM.

Boolit Master

I reformed some pulled 22LR bullets to use in my 22 Hornet and did not have a problem!

Quote Originally Posted by MIBULLETS View Post
    It's ok if it flows up a little. I've done 224 and 385 but I only did it to check the die for smoothness and dimensions. Definitely not to shoot for me. Not sure what your intentions are on this?
    No real intentions to do all lead slugs with the amount of jacket options I have... just curiosity. I saw that projectile and was wondering if it was something other swagers do or feasible as a repeatable operation.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    I reformed some pulled 22LR bullets to use in my 22 Hornet and did not have a problem!
    Ok, but those do already have a lubricant on them, and as long as the velocity isn't too high you shouldn't have excessive leading. Interesting idea btw!

Boolit Bub
    As others have suggested, I do not fire lead slugs in rifle calibers because of leading problems in barrels. If you do it, it can be preferable to allow the lead to flow into the ejection hole, so that the ejection pin can push against the tiny cylinder of metal in the ejection hole and therefore start and release the bullet from the die for ejection, then just cut off the nip of lead on the tip of the bullet. This can be useful technique, not just for all lead bullets, but also for jacketed lead soft point bullets. An all lead bullet can be made and paper patched to be fired without leading the barrels, but there is a reason nobody does that anymore, except a few historical buffs. On my big bores, my dies have larger ejections pins and make a very nice lead tipped soft point. You can order your dies this way in any caliber if you want to make lead tips and you can also buy additional lead pointing dies which will spruce up the deformation left by ejection pins on lead tips. The 2nd bullet down in picture below is a 416 caliber, 4S ogive bullet. Although it is a jacketed soft point, an all lead bullet would point exactly the same.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	416 bullets small.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	320976
    Last edited by rolltide999; 12-14-2023 at 04:23 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rolltide999 View Post
    As others have suggested, I do not fire lead slugs in rifle calibers because of leading problems in barrels. If you do it, it can be preferable to allow the lead to flow into the ejection hole, so that the ejection pin can push against the tiny cylinder of metal in the ejection hole and therefore start and release the bullet from the die for ejection, then just cut off the nip of lead on the tip of the bullet. This can be useful technique, not just for all lead bullets, but also for jacketed lead soft point bullets. An all lead bullet can be made and paper patched to be fired without leading the barrels, but there is a reason nobody does that anymore, except a few historical buffs. On my big bores, my dies have larger ejections pins and make a very nice lead tipped soft point. You can order your dies this way in any caliber if you want to make lead tips and you can also buy additional lead pointing dies which will spruce up the deformation left by ejection pins on lead tips. The 3rd bullet from the left in picture below is a 416 caliber, 4S ogive bullet. Although it is a jacketed soft point, an all lead bullet would point exactly the same.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	416 bullets small.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	320976
    I agree 100%. I was only mentioning the lead flow into the ejection pin hole because if you are not careful, it can be quite easy to fill it. I know of people who have locked up an ejection pin doing this. It normally would only happen with a smaller caliber/thinner pin though.

Nice looking bullets! What thickness of tubing are you using?

Boolit Bub
    Mibullets,
    The tubing used for these jackets is 3/8" "L" rigid copper tubing which actually measures 1/2". Tube closed on one end, and then reduced to caliber. Tube thickness is roughly .033.

Boolit Master
    Mibullets,
    The tubing used for these jackets is 3/8" "L" rigid copper tubing which actually measures 1/2". Tube closed on one end, and then reduced to caliber. Tube thickness is roughly .033.
    Nice, I use 1/4" L for my 358 caliber jackets. I have also used the softer refrigeration tubing as well and it works about the same with my die set.

Boolit Bub
    Mibullets,
    That is great. I am hoping to add a 1/4" set for making .375, .358, .338. Who made you dies?

Boolit Master
    Mibullets,
    That is great. I am hoping to add a 1/4" set for making .375, .358, .338. Who made you dies?
    Dave Corbin dies