MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Stevens tip up

Boolit Buddy

Stevens tip up

In need of a tip up rifle barrel and find there are at least three different width barrel channels. Within the three tolerances vary. Were these guns produced in basically three frame sizes then hand fit?
    Last edited by Danth; 12-10-2023 at 09:24 AM.

I should know but I don't. Never tried swapping barrels on any of mine. The kind of company that Stevens was when the Tip-Up was being produced, I would expect a lot of variation and hand fitting.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I know there are two sizes, at least: the one for the ”Ladies’ Model” and the one for the larger centerfires. The ”Lord Model” pistol might be an intermediate. You might ask on the ASSRA Site; there’s a bunch of Tip-Up experts there.

I refurbished a tip-up Stevens pistol, and my experience indicated to me that there is a lot of finicky hand fitting involved. I wouldn’t expect a loose barrel from an auction site to be a drop-in fit, whatever the nominal size.

Boolit Master
    I believe that there are more than three different frame sizes and that even frames of the same size have different hinge bolt diameters. I have been looking at Tip-ups that are for sale and I see all types and people want good money for them. I do have a spare barrel, that is not for sale as I can make it work with my Stevens tip up bicycle rifle if i use a bushing in the hinge bolt hole. The bicycle rifle is .32 RF the spare barrel is .22 RF. They fit the width of the frame width with just the hinge bolt diameter being different. I have seen for sale Tip ups if various caliber up to 12 gauge. So between .22 RF and 12 gauge I am imaging a lot of different size frames. There is an even smaller frame .22 RF but I think it is handgun only. I have 5 of the small handguns.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

I picked up a Stevens tip up in 12 ga. years ago that had the butt stock broken in half and most of the nickel plating flaked off. The good part was the action was as tight as the day it was new .
    I stubbed the barrel and used a Green Mountain blank and it is now a 38 spl. I added the small forend as the shotgun came from the factory without one. The rings were machined to fit the barrel radius and soldered on and the fit to the stock height is perfect for me. I had to remake the extractor and fix the stock but it’s a solid shooter now. I love the simplicity of this action !
    JedmanAttachment 321316

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    I picked up a Stevens tip up in 12 ga. years ago that had the butt stock broken in half and most of the nickel plating flaked off. The good part was the action was as tight as the day it was new .
    I stubbed the barrel and used a Green Mountain blank and it is now a 38 spl. I added the small forend as the shotgun came from the factory without one. The rings were machined to fit the barrel radius and soldered on and the fit to the stock height is perfect for me. I had to remake the extractor and fix the stock but it’s a solid shooter now. I love the simplicity of this action !
    JedmanAttachment 321316
    Awesome

I saw and auction for a 10 gauge recently. I am keeping my eye out for one in 44.

Tim

In fact most of them had no forend wood. Only the deluxe models had any.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    His is a super deluxe.

It is now!
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Nice work there Jed!