Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do toy cap gun caps work for BP? Well...

Boolit Master
    Indian Joe was talking about putting FFFFg powder in the nipple then a cap, might cause chain fire.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    That might be correct.
    But the revolvers do work with Homemade caps well.
    And basically a toy cap with some added paper toy caps or some Prime All should work like a homemade cap does.

Boolit Bub
    LAGS you are right. After getting the kit and prim-all I was trying to go cheaper and used paper caps. Had to use 4 caps per load to get the power near factory for best ignition. Tedious at best, and no useing to clear the fire channel, they left paper normally burned in the way to block the next shot. This paper was consumed at ignition of the powder charge but left with just the cap going off.
    They never failed to light the charge but so much work, prime-all stood as the best option.
    Graysmoke

Ah, video request? I'll see if I have a spare revolver nipple to modify...

Boolit Man
    I have been using the Plastic toy Cap Gun Caps for years (15-20) and just a couple of weeks ago fired off 32 shots without a misfire, that's actually pretty normal. I use them on all my percussion rifles from T/C Hawken , CVA Mountain Rifle to my Zoil Zouave`s and others as well all with No11 nipples. No trimming down of the nipple has been done on any of my rifles.
    What I do is take out the white insert from inside the cap and sprinkle in some Homemade Black Powder (just screened) till the cups are about half full. I gently compress the powder into the cup with a match stick. Then give them a good spray with the cheapest hair spray I can find. Give them a couple of days to dry and then use.
    All my shooting is done with homemade black powder and it is very rear that I get a misfire and if I do a CCI cap usually will not light that charge. As you noted you need to carry a pin to remove the small plastic wad that sometimes gets jammed in the nipple top.
    The caps I use are the ones made in Taiwan but have also used the Chinese ones with comparable success as they have the added black powder.

Yes the toy cap compound is corrosive. I clean my guns the day of shooting or next day and no corrosion has occurred on any of them.
    Last edited by Tasbay; 12-13-2023 at 03:33 AM.

OK, so you add powder to the cap to make it function, that was something we had discussed, but AS IS, do they work for you? The test was with AS IS toy caps.
    Does the cheap hair spray keep the powder in place in the cap securely? Do you have to do anything special to transport them after they are assembled?

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    OK, so you add powder to the cap to make it function, that was something we had discussed, but AS IS, do they work for you? The test was with AS IS toy caps.
    Does the cheap hair spray keep the powder in place in the cap securely? Do you have to do anything special to transport them after they are assembled?
    The Taiwanese caps will work as is on my percussion guns but is not as reliable. The hair spray secures the compound in the cap and I give them a fairly good spray to wet. I just leave them in the plastic frame and cut them out as needed. To transport they are replaced in the original packaging. That said I have also in past put them in old CCI percussion cap tins.
    CCI caps are available here at a couple of places at $40 a tin but shipping is an issue. The Toy caps can still be found at $1 a 72 cap card.

The Toy caps are quite a tight fit on the niple so roll them on from the side and don't push them down ,as they are quite volatile, let the hammer seat them on impact.

Boolit Master
    In playing with the toy caps so far.
    I had a couple pop when trying to push them on to a standard #11 size nipple.
    It doesn't seem like a common issue.
    But if you are putting them on a loaded barrel.
    It could cause a dangerous accidental discharge.
    But I haven't had that issue when I have the nipple turned down a bit to let the Toy Cap slide on easier.
    It doesn't take much to trim down an old extra nipples.
    You can just use a drill motor and a file.

I use the Taiwanese Star Caps but prime the nipple with 4F powder that I have ground between 2 sheets of glass. I have noted that the caps have much reduced power from just a few years ago
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Buy a tap a cap tool and use roll caps or greenie stickums if you can find them , both work. Use two of the roll caps per cup. Beer can works fine.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master
    When I was a kid.
    I made my caps with a punch and a piece of wood with a hole drilled in it .
    The Greenie Stickum caps worked best back then.
    But when California changed the max sound requirements for toy caps , they stopped selling them.
    But that was way back in the '70s.
    Now I use cap maker tool and "Prime All" chemicals.
    But I found it makes better caps if I use double layer of soda or beer cans for the cups.
    But I am again playing with using the plastic Toy Caps , just to explore more options.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    Indian Joe was talking about putting FFFFg powder in the nipple then a cap, might cause chain fire.
    whoa guys I didnt explain
    being the lazy dude that I am I was (still am) just squooshing the plastic caps onto a standard nipple --= -- some of em will split up the side from that - hence my thought of maybe more chance of a chainfire ? If I was to do as Lags did and turn the nipples to correct size for the cap ?? proly no more chance than with a normal cap??

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=LAGS;5656680]Those smaller Toy Caps did have a little cardboard disc in them when I bought them.
    I took those out because it blocked the flash from going down the nipple.

that may have been why these didnt work well for me

Boolit Master
    I am working with Armoredman to try and refine using these toy caps.
    He does the range testing for me because I am so busy with my projects , that I don't get to the range that often.
    We both will keep you guys posted on how our tests or designs work out.
    I also like working with Armoredman so I can actually show someone how my projects are done.
    I hope it inspires him to also do some of the projects.
    Last edited by LAGS; 12-15-2023 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I am working with Armoredman to try and refine using these toy caps.
    He does the range testing for me because I am so busy with my projects , that I don't get to the range that often.
    We both will keep you guys posted on how our tests or designs work out.
    I also like working with Armoredman so I can actually show someone how my projects are done.
    I hope it inspires him to also do some of the projects.

Boolit Master

I too have used the ring plastic caps in the past, but I did have to prime the nipple. Being the practical sort that I am, I started selling my cap guns and buying flintlocks. If I have to prime the nipple and then cap it, I might as well just prime a pan and be done with. Eventually caps came back into stock and I bought a couple thousand, but by then I was already hooked on flintlocks. You all can blame Ric for that one.
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Man
    Armoredman/ Lags: any update on this thread?

No, not yet - between bizarre work schedules and rainy days, I haven't been able to get back out there. The two times recently I did try, the place was absolutely full. It is STILL on the to do list - I have the little box full of supplies on my desk to remind me.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Buy a tap a cap tool and use roll caps or greenie stickums if you can find them , both work. Use two of the roll caps per cup. Beer can works fine.
    I use that tool to make caps for my side hammers and you use the roll caps that is made in Germany . Stay way from the ones from China they not worth it . What I do is put one cap on the bottom of the cap then add some magnesium powder in it then put another cap over it . Since with a side hammer you know how that works so the mag help with more flame to go to the breech . Need to adjust as needed . I done it with 3 and 4 F powder it needed a boost like I did with the mag . powder.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Just an FYI - we went to the range today to try this out...they have the entire dadgum range reserved for a Cowboy Action Shooting annual meet for the rest of the weekend. Dagnabbbit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast