Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: First cast and test of 9mm

Boolit Buddy

First cast and test of 9mm

Finally got some 9mm cast with a Lee 120-TC 6cav mould. Thanks to many on here who have helped with all this wonderful casting. The smokes Carolina blue didn't coat too well this time but worked well on some others. Maybe the humidity was off that day. Didn't notice any leading though. They are dropping about 124gr and I can feel resistance as they pass through a .358 sizer for my 38/357 bullets and the 9mm doesn't fall back through after I lower the ram. Tried with 3.6-3.8 GR of titegroup and I'm going to settle on 3.8 at a 1.065 coal for my Kahr CW9. Special thanks to Dusty Bannister for his help.

a great Mr. Dusty, he has helped me a lot too!

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20231209_110641932.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	320784

Boolit Grand Master

Congratulations! It looks like you are off to a good start!

Sounds good! Like the color, too!

Carolina blue didn't coat too well
    Pics @ Post#3 look absolutely fine.

Boolit Master

Those look great to me.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks I have been casting for 38/357 for about a year now. Maybe one of these days I'll spring for a nicer mould.

Boolit Master
    You might surprise yourself how well that bullet can do in 38 Special as well as the 9MM loadings. I like to size for the 38 Special and then if needed to load the 9MM push them through the Lee push through or the Star lube sizer. The bullets really like to drop nose first in the Star and it goes pretty fast. I do not PC, but use the soft lithi-bee lube so there is no need to add lube to a PC bullet to keep the die smooth. It is a really nice bullet for the two calibers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brokeasajoke View Post
    Thanks I have been casting for 38/357 for about a year now. Maybe one of these days I'll spring for a nicer mould.
    If the bullets from that mould shoot as well as they look, you may be very hard-pressed buy a "nicer" mould at ANY price. Judge the bullet moulds by the bullets they cast, not by what they cost.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    You might surprise yourself how well that bullet can do in 38 Special as well as the 9MM loadings. I like to size for the 38 Special and then if needed to load the 9MM push them through the Lee push through or the Star lube sizer. The bullets really like to drop nose first in the Star and it goes pretty fast. I do not PC, but use the soft lithi-bee lube so there is no need to add lube to a PC bullet to keep the die smooth. It is a really nice bullet for the two calibers.
    They are coming out at .358 after PC.

I bought that exact mould the other day. Casted and PCd with some Ford light blue. I loaded them up with some HP38 and am waiting on the weather to hit the range and try them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Love that mould…I’m running 3.2 BE in mine; always size for 0.358

Boolit Master

I had that particular mold once and My only 9mm was a Highpoint 995. This was before I got on the PC kick . They were too small for that gun and keyholed some shots. So Foolishly, I traded it off. Powder coat would have made it just right for the 995. That gun will chamber and fire 9mm loads with boolits as fat as .360.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE