Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Noe 309 153 sp

Noe 309 153 sp

This is my first NOE mold and I am excited for it. I ordered it on the website along with a whole bunch of different sizing dies and tools everything arrived this morning in the mail.

I have taken the mold out of the box and then used a strop glued to a wooden block like for sharpening my flex cut wood carving knife, and use it to polish the top of the mold halves and bottom of the sprue plate. It's just a habit that I do with every new mold that I get.

I'm excited to test these Spire point bullets in my 300 Blackout and my 308 rifle. I think that they are going to look fantastic after they've been powder coated and sized.

I think I will paint some ultimate chrome and I will do some others Ford light blue.

In a half an hour I'm going to pull out the turkey fryer and the gas bottle, set my saucepan full of frozen lead on top and begin heat cycling the mold as I'm heating up my pot.

My expectation is a mountain of bullets 1 hour from now.

Life is good.

Be safe all y'all and have a good Friday night.

I ended up with 16 lb of pointy bullets last night and today I've been giving the powder coating oven a workout. I painted these ultimate Chrome and I think I'm happy with it the way it came out.

Boolit Master
    They certainly LOOK great! With any luck, they'll shoot as good as they look!
    MY casting experience is limited to pistol projectiles, where ranges are short and precision is defined somewhat situationally. I'm wondering how much the sprue plate cuts on the base of rifle bullets affect their accuracy. If those cuts DO contribute to larger groups, can their effects be reduced with polymer coating?
    This is a question, not a criticism. I can only HOPE that MY first rifle bullets turn out as nicely as these.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    They certainly LOOK great! With any luck, they'll shoot as good as they look!
    MY casting experience is limited to pistol projectiles, where ranges are short and precision is defined somewhat situationally. I'm wondering how much the sprue plate cuts on the base of rifle bullets affect their accuracy. If those cuts DO contribute to larger groups, can their effects be reduced with polymer coating?
    This is a question, not a criticism. I can only HOPE that MY first rifle bullets turn out as nicely as these.
    I have a suspicion that the little pocks from the sprue cuts don't really amount to much, especially when you take into account the short range that I will be shooting and my limited skill level with rifles.

If you are skilled at casting pistol bullets I could very easily see you making better rifle bullets than I can make and that's not a stretch at all. I wish all my pistol molds were all this easy to use. I like the brass hollow point molds for handgun it's its own separate beast they're just a lot slower than this aluminum gang mold.

Perfect bullets are nice however with practice...I am not able to make perfect bullets in mass quantities yet.

The other night when I was casting every time I would open the mold and see some of them have the little pocks I decided what i wanted which was quantity -I would much rather have a thousand bullets that are all functional instead of 150 that were perfect.

According to my calculator there are 750ish bullets in that plastic bin ready to be sized and then loaded. It surprised me how absolutely easy the mold is to use and how a little preparation it required. It takes longer to cook a roast than it does to make that pile of bullets. I was casting for maybe 2 hours.

I opened the box, removed the mold polished it with the strop, then assembled it on lee handles and then just plunged the aluminum blocks into the center of the fire, the furnace for my casting pot and started preheating the mold savagely.

The mold takes a surprising amount of heat or time and contact with heat to maintain temperature as compared to the Brass gang molds that I am accustomed to.

I am absolutely satisfied with this NOE mold. I might be getting another one too!

I think operator error is my limitation so far

The first picture that I have added to this post is showing my casting setup I really like to Ladle cast over a turkey fryer. The second picture is some of the bullets before I powder coated them Chrome. The last picture is after they cooled down coming out of the baking oven.

I split the pile of rifle bullets into three or four batches, tumble cut it down with powder coating powder and baked in hardware cloth baskets inside a small toaster oven that I bought for 50 bucks on Craigslist several years ago.

I'm never going back to buying commercial cast bullets.

Boolit Master

Those bullits and the mold look like to me they need more scrubbing. Bon Ami and a toothbrush are your friends here.

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Those bullits and the mold look like to me they need more scrubbing. Bon Ami and a toothbrush are your friends here.
    Please tell me why does the mold and bullets need scrubbing?

Boolit Master

Those little black specs in the picture of the mold are causing the dimples. They should not be there. The bullet should be very nice and smooth no dimples. If they will not come out and is a machining issue I would contact NOE.

Those little black specs in the picture of the mold are causing the dimples. They should not be there. The bullet should be very nice and smooth no dimples. If they will not come out and is a machining issue I would contact NOE.
    The black specks are polishing media from polishing with the strop. I made the photograph before i wiped down and cleaned the mold. The bullets are very smooth.

Boolit Master

Do as you wish, but it's not a golf ball. There should not be dimples.

Do as you wish, but it's not a golf ball. There should not be dimples.
    Thank you. Are you looking at the powder coated bullet and seeing dimples? Which picture are you looking at?

Boolit Master

Good looking bullets! I think you will like those in the 300 BO. I use the same NOE bullet in my BO but with the regular lube grooves. I got mine before Al made the slick ones but I still coat them.

This bullet and the NOE 311-199-SP-K5 are my two favorite bullets for my 300 BO single shot pistol. They both shoot great and make it easy to hit steel plates at some distance.

In the pic you can see the two bullets I use. and them loaded in BO cases. I do both HiTek and PC bullet coating and these are coated in HiTek. I was messing around with using two different colors of coat. I coated first with black and then did some bronze on top of it and it gave it that interesting appearance. The bullets on the far left are what the bronze color looks like normally.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300BO 208 155 HT2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	321063

Quote Originally Posted by Intel6 View Post
    Good looking bullets! I think you will like those in the 300 BO. I use the same NOE bullet in my BO but with the regular lube grooves. I got mine before Al made the slick ones but I still coat them.

This bullet and the NOE 311-199-SP-K5 are my two favorite bullets for my 300 BO single shot pistol. They both shoot great and make it easy to hit steel plates at some distance.

In the pic you can see the two bullets I use. and them loaded in BO cases. I do both HiTek and PC bullet coating and these are coated in HiTek. I was messing around with using two different colors of coat. I coated first with black and then did some bronze on top of it and it gave it that interesting appearance. The bullets on the far left are what the bronze color looks like normally.

Name:	300BO 208 155 HT2.jpg 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	321063
    Hey intel6 can you please tell me about that 300 Blackout pistol that sounds super awesome!!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Recycled bullet View Post
    Hey intel6 can you please tell me about that 300 Blackout pistol that sounds super awesome!!!
    I was looking to get a barrel made for my T/C contender (I still might) but then I got an email for a CVA Scout single shot pistol in 300 BO that I didn't know existed. I checked it out and found I could get the whole pistol for less than a custom T/C barrel (delivered for $330) so i figured what the heck. So I got the pistol and discovered that it was made with a Bergera barrel (14") and it shot really well. I tossed a Leupold fixed 4X on it and it shot great with cheap 150 gr FMJ ammo I was using to break it in with. I shoots cast exceptionally well including the bullets in the pic and I use it to bang steel plates out to 300 yds.

Below is a pic of it during one of my range outings.

Name:	300BO CVA SCOUT.jpg 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	321353

I have the rifle version, lots of fun.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Good job! I like your motivation and commitment...keep at it.