RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead pipe replacement

Lead pipe replacement

I have seen on our local news that local water works municipalities are going to replace MILES of lead pipe. I don't know if or when but it should be a gift to us casters IF...it makes it to the local scrap yards. Now I am all for removing it from the water supply but my question is, will the EPA allow it to be turned over to recycling companies? I have not a clue as to what the mighty federal mandate would do with this much lead. Anybody have any insight as to this?
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I have no doubt it will end up going to a licensed recycling facility aka scrap yard. Total coin toss on that being a yard that sells to the public. Actually probably worse odds than 50/50. Majority of yards run by larger waste disposal companies don't sell to the public. Some of the privately owned yards still do.

Don't expect prices from any scrap yard to be discounted due to the large volume coming in from water line replacement. I have seen prices from $1 to $1.50 a pound from yards in the same area, no reason to expect them to discount this source. Now if one can happen by one of the crews pulling the lines out with a case of beer... that might yield a price a little above what the yards are PAYING for lead which is often 20 cents to 30 cents at same yards that sell for a buck or more.

This is why a dedicated scrap scrounger always has an old bathroom scale in their vehicle. Allows one to offer nickel over what yard is paying per pound.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    I would check out your local scrap yards NOW to see if they sell to the public. If they do, give them your number and explain you are looking for the lead pipe if/when it shows up.

Boolit Grand Master

Take a couple cases of beer to the work site as they are removing it. I've got a couple of thousand pounds that way.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 12-07-2023 at 10:35 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Wont happen in my state, China gets it all.

If the government was useful at all, there wouldn’t be an inch of lead pipe to replace today. I guarantee you 20 years from now we’ll still be hearing about lead pipes getting replaced.

Boolit Master
    If this is main water lines this should be some serious large heavy quantities. Makes me drool just thinking about it. My local scrap yard still sells lead for 30 cents as of a few months ago. They've charging that same price for at least 15 years. This stuff varies so much. I'm still mystified when people talk about how they used to get wheel weights for free years ago. I started casting in the late 1970's and never got free WW's anywhere any time. But they were cheap at usually 25 cents/lb. I agree with the suggestion to try looking for work crews removing these old lines and try to work out a deal with them.

Your best bet is to make friends with the work crews.
    Beer and/or Jack Daniels is usually a universal language they speak and understand.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    There ought not be any lead in water supply lines for human consumption, aside from solder that might be sticking the copper pipes together. I seem to recall it was totally banned in the 1980's and any plumbing lead still in use these days would be on the waste side. A lot of states don't even want common leaded brass used in water systems and have pushed for "green" lead-free brass in all new installations.

I have seen lead pipes under toilets - the flange is often attached to a lead piece that goes some distance under the house to either sewer or septic tank. The other more common sources are roof flashings and lead counterweights that were used in elevators (although that may be steel or cast iron now). Fishing sinkers and boat keel weights are other possibilities, although purity is never guaranteed. I picked up about 150 lbs of fishing sinkers a while back for cheap, which appear to be pure lead - but a lot of folks now want a premium for scrap because they recognize bullet casting as a demand driver. There is a guy who advertises on FB Marketplace in Austin, who will sell any amount you want for $2 a pound, already in ingot form. I have no idea where or what his original source is.

I had a friend in the plumbing business who used to supply me with pure lead castoffs, but he passed away some years ago.
    Last edited by HWooldridge; 12-08-2023 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gc45 View Post
    Wont happen in my state, China gets it all.
    Yeah, to shoot back at us!
    My local scrap yard is a small individually owned one and they will sell to individuals for around 40 cents per lb. A guy that works there will gather it up in a pile when I call him in advance.
    Last edited by murf205; 12-08-2023 at 10:13 AM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Buddy
    I read in a news article that when replacing lead water lines that the installers would dig and place the new lines beside the lead lines without digging up the lead. The thought process (???) was that leaving the lead lines in the ground would cut down the exposure to lead for the installers and would be more cost effective than digging up and hauling it to a scrapyard.

I was fortunate enough to score some lead waterlines many years ago and man were they heavy duty. If I remember correctly, a 1/2" water line measured about 1 1/8" diameter.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    There ought not be any lead in water supply lines for human consumption, aside from solder that might be sticking the copper pipes together. I seem to recall it was totally banned in the 1980's and any plumbing lead still in use these days would be on the waste side. A lot of states don't even want common leaded brass used in water systems and have pushed for "green" lead-free brass in all new installations.

I have seen lead pipes under toilets - the flange is often attached to a lead piece that goes some distance under the house to either sewer or septic tank. The other more common sources are roof flashings and lead counterweights that were used in elevators (although that may be steel or cast iron now). Fishing sinkers and boat keel weights are other possibilities, although purity is never guaranteed. I picked up about 150 lbs of fishing sinkers a while back for cheap, which appear to be pure lead - but a lot of folks now want a premium for scrap because they recognize bullet casting as a demand driver. There is a guy who advertises on FB Marketplace in Austin, who will sell any amount you want for $2 a pound, already in ingot form. I have no idea where or what his original source is.

I had a friend in the plumbing business who used to supply me with pure lead castoffs, but he passed away some years ago.
    About 7% of US households are still serviced by lead pipe water supply lines. If the waters PH is properly maintained they are not a problem. If the PH is not properly maintained, they leach lead and become a major problem.

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/w...0the%20country.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/epa-mor...king-water-us/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If you do get a hold of some, be carefully not to just bend it and put it in your melting pot. The bend’s can trap humidity between them and the tinsel fairy will be visiting you. Ask me how I know.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    If you do get a hold of some, be carefully not to just bend it and put it in your melting pot. The bend’s can trap humidity between them and the tinsel fairy will be visiting you. Ask me how I know.
    Also the white corrosion in the inside of the pipe stinks to high heaven on the first melt. I did a couple of tons in the mid-70's.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Common fix for all municipal pipe is relining ......a plastic liner is forced through the existing pipe in a sort of turning inside out process.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    I have seen on our local news that local water works municipalities are going to replace MILES of lead pipe….
    In all probability the removal will be performed by a contractor. The municipality may well specify what happens to the lead once removed but many contracts simply make disposal the contractor’s responsibility.
    We’ve had contracts where the owners specified the name of the landfill that spoils were to be sent to and required certified documentation for every ton / yard shipped.
    Other contracts stated the contractor took ownership and was responsible for disposal of scrapped materials. The scrap value paid for many topping-off parties and safe performance awards.
    I think lead still fits the maybe toxic-maybe not category. The truly toxic stuff costs $$$$ to get rid of. I don’t see lead fitting that category.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’d be surprised if you could technically put lead into a land fill today. In Europe many houses had roofing made with asbestos. When they were replaced, the contractors had a difficult / expensive time disposing of the old roofing.

Boolit Grand Master

If I were just guessing I would think most of it will be abandoned rather than removed. Now days lots of new pipe is installed with a boring rig so as not to disturb peoples yards, streets, sidewalks,ect.

But I agree, it would be great if it was removed and hit the open market.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Yes! I learned the same way.

Sawzalling it into pieces is a lot better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I have bought 1750lbs of water pipe this year from a crew foreman. It is out there folks.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20231021_143126625_copy_545x1152.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	321013
    Last edited by GlocksareGood; 12-15-2023 at 11:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast