Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RCBS PRO Melt

Boolit Buddy
    The new pro melts, you can’t just unplug them, you have to let them cool down to a set temp before you can unplug it

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Quick View Post
    The newer model has a major flaw. When you're done working there is no switch ON/OFF like the older model. Based on the manual you have to lower the temperature to the lowest setting and wait an amount of time until the pot cools off. I don't care about the reasoning behind it but that's ridiculous. They should have not add a PID which quality is also questionable. They should have kept the good ole RCBS ProMelt the way it was.
    Not sure how they will last in time after 5-10 years but the old gen are still running as of today after 20 years of use.
    I was fortunate to find a brand new one on ebay (the original one) and that will be my spare as the one that I use right now is also an old beat up first gen Pro Melt that is still working after many many years of use and abuse.
    The new generation do not have enough history to make an opinion but I know a guy who is very happy with the new unit. He completely removed the RCBS PID so he can turn of the pot whenever he's done and added a switch then went old school with a Hatch PID.
    That’s bc the PID is integral. The fan has to keep running until the pot cools to keep the heat from destroying the PID.

An external PID, which it sounds like your acquaintance devised, solves the issue.

I bought it when I got sick of looking for a decent used PM and sicker of my Lee Drip 20.

So far it’s been awesome, except for the mold rest. I bought NOEs guide and it’s a huge improvement.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    "Cool down sequence"? With a Pro Melt? What's that? Maybe I need to reread the 2010 instructions...not likely.

Or perhaps I am following the Mfg's advice as I keep 1/2 a pot (or more) in the kettle and let nature cool it to a solid and it's worked like that for 13+years without a hitch.
    The cool down sequence is for the Pro Melt 2

The original Pro Melt is no longer available from RCBS.

The Pro Melt 2 came out in 2018 or 2019

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 25ring View Post
    Best answer is a separate PID then you can run it with any pot you want,and it will be far more accurate.
    Are you saying the PID in the new RCBS pots are not as accurate as seperate PIDs
    Last edited by fatelvis; 12-09-2023 at 06:21 PM.
    I shoot so that I can handload.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by fatelvis View Post
    Are byou saying the PID in the new RCBS pots are not as accurate as seperate PIDs
    I'm not sure if 25ring is saying the following, but I will.
    RCBS put the thermocouple in a poor location in the Pro Melt 2 units, Some of them are 50º off.
    A DIY PID with the thermocouple submerged in the molten alloy, ideally located near the pour spout, are far more accurate then a RCBS Pro Melt 2 with the thermocouple mounted to the heating element.

I've known more than one person to modify their Pro Melt 2.
    https://www.artfulbullet.com/index.p...mocouple.8909/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I had a Lee 20 lb drip-o-matic for 30 years. I accepted the dripping as just part of the deal. I always kept a screwdriver alongside to twist the rod back and forth if it started to drip.....which was much of the time.
    It served me well and is in backup mode now.
    I bought the RCBS Pro Melt. I bit the bullet and paid the long dollar for it. It is smoother to operate and apparently more accurate in terms of temp. I also use a thermometer in the pot and it is close to the digital reading most of the time.
    I posted my dissatisfaction with the shut down process here and someone suggested a timer. I bought a couple and they are perfect - when you get done, set the temp to minimum, set the timer for 2 hours and walk away.
    Easy peasy.
    They are worth the money, but I have to say dollar for dollar the Lee pot (with all its faults) is still the best bang for the buck.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes the drip onatic is what I want to stay away from. Love my saeco she’s just getting tired

Boolit Buddy
    Ok well the gen 1 pro melt pot just got here. Got it cleaned, put some lead in it to see if it will melt and pour. Keep your fingers crossed she works.

Quote Originally Posted by sfcairborne View Post
    Ok well the gen 1 pro melt pot just got here. Got it cleaned, put some lead in it to see if it will melt and pour. Keep your fingers crossed she works.
    Cool.
    To help, and for good luck:
    I'll do some chants, burn some incense, dance around a fire, and sacrifice a chicken.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    I think the chants worked. The pot heated up only put 4 pound of lead I it but it worked just fine and no drips. I need a new thermometer to check the lead temp but so far so good . Gonna like this pot, holds more than my 10 pound saeco

Boolit Master
    I leave about 4 lbs in my pro-melt at the end of a casting session to help the next get started. That's a little less than an inch.

On mine, when its empty and fires up, the bottom third or fourth of the pot where the element is glows red.
    I'm sure it's OK, I just don't like seeing it do that.

When I get done, I leave it mostly full. I don't know if it heats up better or faster,
    but it makes the dust, dead bugs and spider webs easier to clean out for the next time.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12