MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS PRO Melt

Boolit Buddy

RCBS PRO Melt

For those of you that have this, how do you like it. My old saeco pot is on its last leg.

Boolit Grand Master
    From what I recall, the newer ones do not seem as well liked as the older models. Something to weigh when evaluating replies.

It factored into my decision not to get one. Plus, for my needs, the Master Caster made more sense.
    Don Verna

The newer model has a major flaw. When you're done working there is no switch ON/OFF like the older model. Based on the manual you have to lower the temperature to the lowest setting and wait an amount of time until the pot cools off. I don't care about the reasoning behind it but that's ridiculous. They should have not add a PID which quality is also questionable. They should have kept the good ole RCBS ProMelt the way it was.
    Not sure how they will last in time after 5-10 years but the old gen are still running as of today after 20 years of use.
    I was fortunate to find a brand new one on ebay (the original one) and that will be my spare as the one that I use right now is also an old beat up first gen Pro Melt that is still working after many many years of use and abuse.
    The new generation do not have enough history to make an opinion but I know a guy who is very happy with the new unit. He completely removed the RCBS PID so he can turn of the pot whenever he's done and added a switch then went old school with a Hatch PID.

Boolit Grand Master
    My Promelt is an older one that I bought used several years ago to replace a Lee 4-20. I like it fine, never been around one of the newer ones.

If I were to buy another new bottom pour, with the choice being a Promelt or a Lee 4-20, I think I would buy the Lee and use the saved money for more lead.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you for all the replies.

If you can find a older one at a decent price grab it.

My old one from the 90s has had several hundred pounds go through it and is still on the job.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Found an old one on eBay bought it for 325 took a chance and bought it. Owner states it works perfect. Will RCBS still fix this model? Or is there someone on the forum that does just in case?

Not sure about getting one fixed, but as simple as they are, and as many of them as there are out in the wild--
    they should still have parts.

EVERYONE!

RCBS won't touch the first gen. It was discontinued few years ago. If the pot works then it works. And it will work for many years to come. Now how the previous owner took care of it I have no idea.
    I wish you good luck with it and I hope will last you many years with no issues.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you me too. My old saeco works great, but it’s a ten pound pot and I go through that pretty fast and nervous it’s getting old. But it doesn’t drip so that’s a plus. Guess we will see about the pro melt when it gets here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Quick View Post
    RCBS won't touch the first gen.
    That's depressing.
    I wonder if some of the basic things like thermostats & switches are available as off the shelf items.
    The heating element might be a problem, but there's got to be a work around.

EVERYONE!

I have an Eazy Melt, that is the ladle pot. I like it but as mentioned has to be unplugged after the temp on the pid is below 165°. It takes longer to cool then to heat to 730°. I finall started directing a fan in it to speed that up but it still takes more than a hour. It takes about 3 hours for the startup/shutdown cycle with the fan. Other than that it is a really nice pot that holds 25 pounds.

I realize it is different than what you asked about but you should be aware of that draw back. You can't just walk away like you can with your seaco. I added a Hatch PID to my seaco and when I get done I shut it off and go do something else rather than babysit it.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sfcairborne View Post
    For those of you that have this, how do you like it. My old saeco pot is on its last leg.
    Take off the front cover and check the thermostat!
    Lee thermostats can be modified to work. I did mine and it works. You can also wire it straight to a PID and bypass the thermostat completely.
    If it is the heating element, well....I haven't had to make that journey yet!

Boolit Master
    I got one shortly after the came out. Replaced a Lee that died. Since then I have got two more. Really like them.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, the old taco is still running, but I did buy the gen 1 RCBS pot that I found. Should be here Monday so gonna clean it and see if it fires up and melts some lead. The cool down sequence on the new pots doesn’t bother me so may pic up a new one as well.

Boolit Master

"Cool down sequence"? With a Pro Melt? What's that? Maybe I need to reread the 2010 instructions...not likely.

Or perhaps I am following the Mfg's advice as I keep 1/2 a pot (or more) in the kettle and let nature cool it to a solid and it's worked like that for 13+years without a hitch.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Bub
    Best answer is a separate PID then you can run it with any pot you want,and it will be far more accurate.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 25ring View Post
    Best answer is a separate PID then you can run it with any pot you want,and it will be far more accurate.

On this I agree. PIDs make holing temp easy.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 25ring View Post
    Good post.
    Don Verna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast