Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Finished new lathe tool holder

Boolit Grand Master

Finished new lathe tool holder

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0566.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	320700Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0567.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	320701

This is a tangential tool holder I just finished. Tool holder hold at the 15* cutting angles front and side so only top needs to be ground. Mush shorter set up so more rigid. There is the fixture to grind the top of the tool at 15* and it gives a hollow grind thats very sharp and easy to repeat.

The aluminum bar is a test cut with it. 600 rpm .050 depth of cut .010 feed the face was cut 600 rpm .025 depth of cut and .010 per revolution. It does the same in steels and brass.

Turn the cutter 90* and its a shear tool that gives a very good finish but only .002-.005 passes.

Boolit Buddy
    South Texas but sometimes it feels like Northern Mexico
    wow!

Boolit Master
    Nice work. I think one of Guy Lautard’s Machinist Bedside Reader books had an entry for a similar design.

Boolit Master
    Nicely done Mr Country Gent
    I use a tangential tool holder too.
    I’m too lazy to grind my tools these days.
    I’m using cobalt tool steel when I can find it.
    I will make a chip cutter for it one day and just have them little curls fall in between the ways like they ought too.

Boolit Grand Master

I have seen them and read how good they were but being the cheap old ornery fart I am I wasnt going to give the 150.00 for the one that fit my machine ( plus there were some things I wanted to change or modify). I came up with this design that fits my aloris tooling and the cutter is along side it where I can see it from the wheel chair. Cutting forces seem to be much lower with this tool making long cuts easier with less chatter, small dias are easier also. Ive got stock coming to make a couple more with the point forward and centered 1 will be just the top ground got turning and chamfering the other will have the front 90* altered by 15* on each side for a threading tool. this will be 3/8' down from the top so it will be able to be ground on the top to sharpen for awhile.

Not to bad to make as most is pretty straight forward cuts the only tricky area is the tool slot with the multiple 15* angle side and front, here I used a mini pallet set in the vise at 15* then clamped the block on at a 15* angle.

I've made several tangental holders over the years and they are my go-to. A really handy extension of that concept is to make radius cutters. I use broken taps and HSS end mill shanks for blanks. The holder is fall off a log simple. Just drill a hole tipped a few degrees both ways to give front and side clearance. I leave the rake angle at zero, seems to work fine and lets you use front or side of cutter and stay on center. Makes the inside corners look just like downtown.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    After hearing about this tool, I found a lot about it on YouTube. It sounds very interesting and will be one of my future projects. Thanks for telling me about it.