Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Hornady LnL Power Case prep: gears

Boolit Mold

Hornady LnL Power Case prep: gears

Okay, I just purchased the above from an estate sale, still in it's box; never used.
    Got it for $75 as the guy selling it had plugged it in, turned it on, and nothing happened.

I knew there was an internal fuse that is often over looked, and sure enough I was able to see that it was blown when I removed the motor cover.

When I plugged it in and started it, the motor hummed but wouldn't budge. I took off the cast iron face plate (where all the neck/primer tools spin in a horizontal axis) and the gears (nylon) wouldn't turn even by hand. With the face plate off the motor turns perfectly, and the case trimmer works great (vertical axis).

I thought maybe it was just a lubrication/rust issue, but no, those gears were jammed tight, and appeared to be about 1-2% oversize (meshing them together under a stereo microscope you can see the issue).

My question is has anyone seen this before? Slightly out of spec gears on one of these? I could repair it myself with some sandpaper and patience, but chose not to.

I've seen others complain about the nylon gears inside these, but having used mini-lathes with the same gears I've never considered them an issue.
    I called Hornandy (great customer service) and they are sending me a new set of gears.
    I'm happy to get one of these at that price. Should be a nice addition.

Boolit Master
    For what you paid for that I think I could find the time to try and fix them or phone Hornady and see about getting replacements. It’s ten times plus what you paid for it up here.

Boolit Mold
    I got the set of gears that Hornady sent me; they were kind enough to send them for free. Sure enough, the diameter of the new gears was about 1.5mm smaller than the old ones.
    I polished the axles of the gears with 800 grit sandpaper, and applied moly grease to the hemispherical studs that fit into the recessed receptacles of the machine's body.
    Works beautifully.
    I have no clue why the previous owner didn't just fix it himself.

Boolit Master
    Good deal. Hornady has always done right by me.