Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Degreasing a bullet mold

Boolit Buddy

Degreasing a bullet mold

I have a new mold and can’t find a degreasing agent. Before running out to get something, are any common household agents an option? If not, what’s recommended at the local auto parts store?

For regreasing to prevent rust, what’s recommended with eventual degreasing again in mind when using the mold again?

Brake parts cleaner or starting fluid have worked for me, although these days I am just as likely to put the mold pieces in the dishwasher. I hever regrease a mold. Put it in a steel GI ammo can while it is still warm. They will never rust.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

The way I've been cleaning moulds [brass, iron and aluminum] for the last 40+ Years. You'll need;

Spray can of carburetor or brake cleaner
    Old tooth brush
    Q-tips
    Butane/propane hand torch
    Mould prep
    Kroil, spray or regular can.

I leave the mould blocks attached to the handles.

Spray with the carburetor/brake cleaner, brush with toothbrush, especially in the cavities then Spray again, shake off excess, let dry.

Play the propane flame over the mould, inside and out including in the cavity(s). You will see the "moisture" come to the surface and evaporate. When it evaporates that is enough move on until the entire surface of the blocks are "cleaned" inside and out. The mould blocks will not get hot enough to "warp" as is claimed but will be too hot to touch.

Swab out the cavity(s) with a Q-tip to remove any residue.

I apply a mould prep to the top/bottom of the sprue plate, the pivot screw, the alignment pins and the top of the mould blocks with care given to not get any prep in the cavity.

The mould is ready to cast with.

After casting, if the mould is not going to be used again, I let the blocks cool completely then cover with a light coat of Kroil.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    I have carburetor cleaner. Thanks! I didn’t feel like driving somewhere as a wasted trip.

Boolit Master
    Anyone try Slip 2000 Degreaser?

Boolit Buddy
    I use liquid dishwashing detergent and rinse with boiling water.

I also just use Dawn on mine. I give them a good scrubbing with hot water and Dawn using an old toothbrush. Then I start the heat cycling. Before the last heat cycle, I scrub the mold again. This has always worked very well for me.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Moderator Emeritus

Like others, I also just use Dawn, I give them a good scrubbing with hot water and Dawn using an old toothbrush. BUT, when I'm done casting, I recoat with Kroil for storage of Iron molds.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    I also just use Dawn on mine. I give them a good scrubbing with hot water and Dawn using an old toothbrush. Then I start the heat cycling. Before the last heat cycle, I scrub the mold again. This has always worked very well for me.
    +1. I bought a 3 quart pan at a yard sale, I use condensate from our dehumidifier and a squirt of Dawn. I separate the mold halves, put them in water deep enough to completely cover them and then boil them for 15-20 minutes, taking care to make sure they stay submerged. I dump the water and place the mold in the oven and run it up to 400 degrees for the first heat cycle,, shut it off in about 20 minutes and as soon as it is cool, I'll put the handles on it and put it to work. If I am going to store it, I put it in a container with a silica gel dessicant packet and all's well.

There are other ways to do it. I have used aerosol carb or break cleaner, acetone, gasoline and alcohol, but most of those are flammable, harmful if inhaled, or both. Boiling with Dawn works and avoids potential health hazards.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by El Bibliotecario View Post
    I use liquid dish washing detergent and rinse with boiling water.
    Absolutely! Dawn for dishes and a hand towel are good for cleaning the inside of the mold, but the outside should be washed also. After the mold is clean and as dry as I can get it, I like to put it into the oven set to 170F for about 20 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Like others, I also just use Dawn, I give them a good scrubbing with hot water and Dawn using an old toothbrush. BUT, when I'm done casting, I recoat with Kroil for storage of Iron molds.
    Dawn dishwashing liquid works well for me. Only difference is I prefer to use a new toothbrush from the Dollar store. Use hot water from the tap, scrub all surfaces of the mould including the sprue cutter. Rinse well with hot tap water and dry in a 200 degree oven.

Jim

Boolit Grand Master

Acetone and an Oral-B Toothbrush .
    If Acetone scares you ... Lacquer Thinner , Mineral Spirits , Auto Carb or Brake Cleaner .
    Usually any "automotive" cleaner will be cheaper and easier to find ( in auto-parts store) than any type of "firearms" advertised product .

I guess I'm just old fashioned but I do not like to get water around my moulds and prefer to clean them with acetone or mineral spirits or any automotive cleaner / de-greaser .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Plain old Dawn dish soap on a toothbrush

Three brush/rinse cycles, dry, preheat and cast.
    Perfect bullets first one out of the mold.

Boolit Master
    Dawn and a toothbrush. Don't go crazy and use something like Simple Green. It eats aluminum.

My steel moulds get motor oil to preserve them.

Boolit Master
    I got flash rusting from heating after scrubbing with dawn and water….

...flash rusting from heating after
    scrubbing with dawn and water….
    FWIW:
    I've been doing exactly that for as long as I've been playing the game.
    So far, no issues of that type.

I do not wash my moulds. It’s such a pain to oil all the nooks and crannies.

I keep mineral oil on my moulds. I brush it on with a painters brush.

I wipe as much oil off the mould with a rag as I can. I lube the mould with graphite (carpenters pencil), then degrease with lighter fluid. Then I heat the mould and when it’s about half hot enough to cast with I open the sprue and fill the cavities with lighter fluid. It boils in the cavities but doesn’t ignite. It really scrubs the cavities clean.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post

…Mould prep...
    Larry,

Candle smoke? Graphite?

Please comment.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Rapine mold prep. It [was] sold by Buffalo arms* and Dixie gun works.
    It is a graphite suspended in liquid
    Sounds like Old fashioned "Lock Ease"

* still sold?
    https://www.buffaloarms.com/search/?...%20oz%20bottle
    "...dry film micro graphite lubricant ..."
    Last edited by mehavey; 12-05-2023 at 11:23 PM.

Boolit Master
    Like Bazoo, I store iron molds with a coating of mineral oil. I apply the oil while the mold is still warm, but not so hot that it burns the oil. Very light mineral oil can dry off in storage, heavy mineral oil takes a small more effort to clean, very heavy mineral oil is Vaseline (I have never tried that). I clean the oil off with 70% isopropyl alcohol on a q-tip. VCI paper in a sealed container will protect against oil that might dry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast