RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you use to recharge your PCP Air Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    Now where I can shoot and not worry where the bullet goes

What do you use to recharge your PCP Air Pistol

May have been asked before but I thought I would reopen the conversation.
    I am currently looking for a match grade PCP Air Pistol.
    What do you use to recharge your PCP Air Pistol? Which Compressor or Hand Pump to you like?
    Or do you use a scuba tank for the air supply?
    Thank you for the insight
    Zucca 1:1 Kill Your TV

I use a SCUBA tank. Works very well.

Boolit Master

Scuba tank here also, a 90 CU FT 3000 PSI tank will fill that air pistol many many times before needing refiled.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

The 80 cubic foot aluminum tanks are much more common, as are the steel 70 cubic foot tanks. If you buy either one and have it filled it will probably last longer than the airgun. This is not true of "pony tanks" (small emergency air tanks). In my experience, 70 cubic foot steel tanks hold more air than an 80 cubic foot aluminum tank, and cost less too. Aluminum tanks are usually filled to a maximum of 2400 PSI, while steel tanks can hold 3000 psi. Check at the shop to be sure of what you are getting.
    Last edited by Tatume; 12-03-2023 at 05:17 PM.

I use a steel scuba tank and get it refilled once a year. I use it 3 to 4 times a week. The refill is just a top up as it seldom takes 15 to 20% and thats many thousands of pellets shot.
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by sailcaptain View Post
    May have been asked before but I thought I would reopen the conversation.
    I am currently looking for a match grade PCP Air Pistol.
    What do you use to recharge your PCP Air Pistol? Which Compressor or Hand Pump to you like?
    Or do you use a scuba tank for the air supply?
    Thank you for the insight
    My first "filler" was a Hill brand hand pump. NOT inexpensive, and for me, tooo much work! As one starts pumping it is not too difficult, but as I approached the bar range I desired -- and I'm kind of fat @ ~225-230 pounds -- I needed put pretty much all my weight on the handle. I was told that the "refill" from just below range to top would not be too tough -- WRONG! Hence -- find a range buddy with a Hand pump and try it before you purchase one?
    The Nomad II electric air compressor came on sale, and I bought one. For me, the greatest of moves! Like the Eveready Energizer bunny, it keeps on filling them. Any of my four PCP pistols is less than five or six minutes time, including set-up. The pump also runs off 12VDC (e.g., a car or truck battery) so it works in the field, too!
    When I bought mine it was the only less-than-a-grand offering; now there are several fairly inexpensive ones -- some purveyed on Amazon.
    Ignorant re these, I cannot speak for or against any... Perhaps you may check with other PCP pistol owners who have purchased one of these and are happy with it?
    BEST wishes -- and again, I'd NOT go for the hand pump. Life IS too short!
    geo

Boolit Master
    Compressor heng Yang or some name link that. Also have a hand pump I use on lower power guns. I fill my scuba tank from the compressor as well.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Grand Master
    4500 psi pressure tank 74 cu. ft.

$15 per fill.
    Don Verna

Also got the 75 cu/ft 4500 psi tank and a smaller 18 cu/ft tank with compressor to keep small tank filled

This is off topic, but I want to say it anyway. If a compressor is not rated for breathing air, do not breath the air. If the air is contaminated with even a slight amount of oil, it can kill a person. If it was mine, I would mark the bottle as not fit for breathing, as one never knows what will happen to it eventually.

Boolit Buddy
    scuba tank

Will a dive shop require a scuba tank to have an annual if only used for air rifles and pistols? Just curious.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    Will a dive shop require a scuba tank to have an annual if only used for air rifles and pistols? Just curious.

Slim
    In my state, it is irrelevant what you do with the tank. It is a simple fact that the very first thing looked at is the last hydro date -- and if it is not in range, you're simply out of luck! (A not-too distant fire department was selling surplus to them Scott Air Pack tanks -- and (fortunately for me) -- I rang the welding shop which handles air tanks first -- to learn this. With tears in my eyes, I bought none.)
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    Scba Scott 4500psi fire service tank.

Boolit Master
    I bought a vevor high pressure pump (12v dc or 110v ac) for around $180. I have only used it a few times but it works fine so far.

Boolit Master
    I have two steel scuba tanks: one I bought used at the local dive shop, and a high pressure Faber that I bought online. I cascade them: bulk fill with the standard tank, then top off with the Faber. I also have a Hill hand pump that I use to extend time between tank fills.

I prefer steel tanks over any other material, because they never expire as long as they pass inspection. The tank that I bought used is about 40 years old.

The reason I had asked was because I still have 2 tanks from the 80's, I believe they're aluminum 3000 PSI tanks. They have not had an annual or hydro in many years. I'd hate to have them updated just to refill an air rifle, probably not cost effective at this point in time.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    The reason I had asked was because I still have 2 tanks from the 80's, I believe they're aluminum 3000 PSI tanks. They have not had an annual or hydro in many years. I'd hate to have them updated just to refill an air rifle, probably not cost effective at this point in time.

Slim
    It will depend on how much you shoot and what you shoot. Both of my air rifles would not shoot for long with 3000 psi fill tanks, I have a 4500 psi tank and can get 3500 shots using .22 cal. Other airguns run at lower pressures.

When I worked my numbers, this is what I got. Tank was under $600. Fill charge is $15. 3500 shots per fill. Recertification every 5 years costs $35 and includes a fill. I shoot 5000 rounds a year. Tank is 'done' after 15 years. Total shots 75k.

Cost of tank $600
    Cost of recertification years 5 and 10 - $70
    Number of fills needed = 75k/3.5k = 22 - less the two "free" fills with the recerts=20 fills at $15 each for $300

Call it $1000 for the air and tank for 75k shots. $13/1000. Cheap to me.

Now, if I only shoot 1000 rounds a year:
    Total shots over 15 years = 15k
    Cost of tank $600
    Cost of recerts $70
    Number of fills = 15k/3.5k = 4. Less the "free" fills yields two fills for $30
    Total cost of $700 for 15k shots. Works out to $46/k for air. Not so cheap.

With pellets added in, I am shooting for less than $30/k. Both air guns are more accurate at 50 yards than my best .22 LR rifle using "promo" rounds currently costing $60-70/k. I only use the air guns for plinking. The gun at the door is a .22 LR for small varmints that need taking care of. But I live in the middle of nowhere and noise is not an issue. If I lived closer to people, the air gun is nearly silent and would handle small varmints.
    Don Verna

I have a hand pump and a cheap little compressor.
    For the little I do, they are more than adequate.

Boolit Man
    I have a large carbon tank that I bought before inexpensive compressors were ubiquitous. There is a dive shop 70 miles away - each way - that will fill the tank to 4500psi, and even sells an economical tank fill card. It's just finding the time for the trip that becomes harder. So a couple years ago I bought a Shoebox compressor. It uses a shop compressor to provide an input at 125psi, then compresses up to 4500psi. It has done well for my needs, which aren't much since I only have about 20 hours on the compressor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast