WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H322 Powder - Looking for Hens Teeth

Boolit Mold

H322 Powder - Looking for Hens Teeth

I've been looking for 1 pound of H322 powder for several months. Spent countless hours on the internet and calling gun shops near my home. There simply is not any to be found. And I am not the only person looking for this powder. I've read many post from fellow reloader's on the internet who, like me, are looking for H322 powder. I contacted Hodgdon last week and received the following reply from their customer service manager:

Hello Bill , This powder is not currently in production but is not discontinued. Unfortunately we do not have an estimate on when it will next be available.

Luke Otte
    Customer Service Manager

Hodgdon Powder Co.
    6430 vista dr.
    Shawnee, Ks 66218

I believe we can speed up the production of H322 if we flood Hodgdon with inquiries and request for H322 powder. I'm asking my fellow reloader's to start contacting Hodgdon with request for H322 powder.

I really appreciate your assistance,
    Bill Austin

Would Alliant 10x do what you need? No personal experience with either, but a few minutes of research suggests it might be really close in performance.?
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    Hodgdon has quite a few in the same boat. I think their acquisition of the other powder companies complicated their production and then COVID really messed it up.

I also do not see a lot of logic in the powders they are producing. Hard to say why they are selling some of the more obscure stuff and not the 'mainline' stuff. I suspect it is due to their supply problems. If they can't get the base powders then they can't blend the products.

Boolit Master
    You might try Accurate 2015. Very much like H322, I have used 2015 in many cartridges where H322 is used, 45-70, 444, .223... Extruded powder - measures very well, burn very,very close to H322. In-stock and less expensive.

Boolit Master

I am with you on the search for the H322. I have an opened pound and an unopened pound that I will be loading in a 6x45. I saw a pound at a local gun shop, but guy at register said a buddy was already buying it. Darn!!!!

As an extreme powder, it is not going to be cheap.

Boolit Bub
    I too have been looking for certain powders and certain guns. I'm learning to make do with what I can find. Never considered that Green Dot might be a viable powder for a .44 Special "Skeeter load", but it seems to be working out. Until I can score some Unique... it'll just hafta do.

Who'd have ever believed that one day it would be easier to score illegal drugs than legal reloading supplies?

Green Dot is a very underrated powder in the 44 Special/Magnum. Shuz turned me onto to that one a long time ago, and I don't think I've loaded the Skeeter Unique load since.
    Tony

Boolit Master

You can forget speeding Hodgdon up on any powder. They have the market cornered since they own Winchester, IMR and the other powder manufacturers. Maximizing profits is the current mantra of companies and that is what Hodgdon is, a company in control of the market place for powder. Don't get me wrong, I have dealt with them many times and always received good service from the. It is just a marketing thing. my .02 anyway, james

Boolit Master
    Here is a second plug for AA 2015 as an alternate to H322.

They are both small grain extruded powders with very close burn rates.

In a recent thread about the 222 on another forum, a number of guys chimed in and they seemed to feel it performed pretty much equal to H322.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
    Here is a second plug for AA 2015 as an alternate to H322.

They are both small grain extruded powders with very close burn rates.

In a recent thread about the 222 on another forum, a number of guys chimed in and they seemed to feel it performed pretty much equal to H322.
    How is the tempature sensitivity or insensitivity of the AA2015?

As H322 is an extreme powder, it is not just a best burn rate comparison, if the AA powder is a little more temperamental to temperature extremes. For most people, they would never know or see a difference (me included), but some of us prefer the Hodgdon powders for that reason. Just a little more peace of mind. I don't know that it has benefited me, and I am definitely researching other powders vs the $50+ per pound Hodgdon powders now.

Last H322 I purchased was still stickered at pre-covid pricing at around $35-40 for the pound container.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the reply's guys. I have used the H322 to load small capacity cases such as the 222 Rem and it works great. It never hurt to send letters to Hodgdon.

Boolit Grand Master

Its too bad we are not closer, I could fix you up with a can.

Boolit Master
    I have not noticed any significant differences in velocity or pressure using AA2015 from -10*F to 95*F. Hunting in Colorado and Wyoming, temperatures can vary from the 90's on the antelope flats to the -20's in the timber during elk season, using A2015 in the 300 Savage, 358 Win and 45-70 since the 1980's(?). I have also not noticed any differences in pressure indicators at 95* from loads developed when in the 30's to 50's with A2015. Hodgdon's has done an excellent job promoting the 'Extreme' powders, but there are many other powders that don't varying much in varying temperatures, most are extruded powders, but even some of the 'more modern' ball powders (TAC, 2520) work well across wide temperature ranges.

Boolit Master

Buy vv-133,and never look back at 322 again!!

Back when Obama got into the WH, I purchased a bunch of powders, H322 was one of them.. still have 16lbs of it but your a bit far away to sell a lb.

Boolit Master
    Talk about dangling a carrot in front of a horse.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 12-09-2023 at 04:30 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Call the sports center in Perry Georgia. I feel like I saw some there last month.

Midwestreloaders.com has h322 8# 245.00 worth a call I would think

Boolit Buddy
    I'm having the same issue with H4198... hasn't been any around in ages.

Boolit Master
    Natchez has 2015 on sale with free hazmat.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast